General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-01-18 9:43 AM

User image

New user

Dickinson, Tx
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread
Hope everyone has started training. Anyone using this as a warmup for Ironman Texas?

2014-01-21 4:57 PM
in reply to: chiefmd

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread
I'm training for it, but have not pulled the trigger yet and signed up. Didn't check yet to see if it is full (hope not.) I am not sure I can make it as I have a cat who just got a bad diagnosis and I have to give him sub Q fluids everyday (I know--too much information). But anyway, hoping his health is resolved soon and I can make it. Not using this as a warm up, this would be my A race of the season. Have you done this one before? I've done one HIM (Bone Island Tri) and it wasn't a Ironman branded race. Wanted to do this because the conditions are similar to where I live (Key West) and the bike course is dedicated and partially closed. If you have done this before, any recollection of what the water temp usually is?
2014-01-22 7:27 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Water temp is normally in the 70 degree range.  Last year was an outlier as we had an unusually cold early spring and the water was 65 on race day.

2014-01-22 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by chiefmd

Hope everyone has started training. Anyone using this as a warmup for Ironman Texas?

Yes. I am.

Have started training, but got H1N1 in early January. Even after the worst of it is past, still struggling with energy levels and the dreaded coughing.
2014-01-22 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by topolina

I'm training for it, but have not pulled the trigger yet and signed up. Didn't check yet to see if it is full (hope not.) I am not sure I can make it as I have a cat who just got a bad diagnosis and I have to give him sub Q fluids everyday (I know--too much information). But anyway, hoping his health is resolved soon and I can make it. Not using this as a warm up, this would be my A race of the season. Have you done this one before? I've done one HIM (Bone Island Tri) and it wasn't a Ironman branded race. Wanted to do this because the conditions are similar to where I live (Key West) and the bike course is dedicated and partially closed. If you have done this before, any recollection of what the water temp usually is?

Even though water was 65 last year, I was warm in a full wet suite. I may do a partial this year (because I don' t like the feel of wet suits and don't get the speed benefits associated with the buyoancy, as I suck that bad at the swim).
2014-01-22 7:26 PM

User image

New user

Queen Creek, Arizona
I started 20 week training program, but it was thwarted by a double sinus infection due to the severe cold conditions. It's so hard to get in good training when the weather is frigged. How do you guys manage to get it in? Does the weather bother any of you as it does me?

2014-01-23 9:51 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

New user
Key West
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Even though water was 65 last year, I was warm in a full wet suite. I may do a partial this year (because I don' t like the feel of wet suits and don't get the speed benefits associated with the buyoancy, as I suck that bad at the swim).

I am a WHIMP when it comes to cold water. Am hoping for temps of about 73. Anything below 70 and I might think twice. I can't wear a full suit because I tried once and I couldn't breath (and yes it was the right size according to the manufacturer). I panicked and almost pulled out of the swim because of that. So, I wear a sleeveless and just can't see getting in with naked arms in water under 70. Of course, that is coming from someone that lives 90 miles from Cuba.
2014-01-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: Iron Zen

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by Iron Zen

I started 20 week training program, but it was thwarted by a double sinus infection due to the severe cold conditions. It's so hard to get in good training when the weather is frigged. How do you guys manage to get it in? Does the weather bother any of you as it does me?

You are not alone.
2014-01-23 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Originally posted by FranzZemen

I am a WHIMP when it comes to cold water. Am hoping for temps of about 73. Anything below 70 and I might think twice. I can't wear a full suit because I tried once and I couldn't breath (and yes it was the right size according to the manufacturer). I panicked and almost pulled out of the swim because of that. So, I wear a sleeveless and just can't see getting in with naked arms in water under 70. Of course, that is coming from someone that lives 90 miles from Cuba.

I find the pre-race jitters more than make up for the cold. So I will race in the cold, but I won't train in it.
2014-01-23 8:12 PM

User image

New user

Dickinson, Tx
I live near Galveston, about 15 minutes away so I can train all year round. The wind is worse than the temperature of the water during the swim so be prepared for that on the bike.
2014-01-24 10:01 AM

New user
Key West

I live near Galveston, about 15 minutes away so I can train all year round. The wind is worse than the temperature of the water during the swim so be prepared for that on the bike.

Last year for our Bone Island Tri down here in January, the wind was 20-25 mph, is that the kind of wind you are talking about? Less?

2014-01-25 11:24 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Anyone doing Austin 70.3?

How was it? How fast do registration run out?
2014-01-25 11:36 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Austin doesn't sell out.  IMO, the race kind of sucks.

2014-01-28 11:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Austin doesn't sell out.  IMO, the race kind of sucks.

Austin 70.3 maybe not be the best, but i dont like the killer winds of Galveston 70.3 and seems to be Lubbock 70.3 other than not exactly a tourist spot is a difficult 70.3 course.

Edited by strykergt 2014-01-28 12:05 PM
2014-01-31 1:44 PM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
This is my first distance beyond a sprint which leaves me a bit overwhelmed but excited! Does anyone happen to know where the women 40-44 age group wave start falls in the line up? Hoping it's not the last group to go!

Thanks!
2014-02-01 6:14 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Key West
Originally posted by adkuch

This is my first distance beyond a sprint which leaves me a bit overwhelmed but excited! Does anyone happen to know where the women 40-44 age group wave start falls in the line up? Hoping it's not the last group to go!

Thanks!

Typically, women over 40 (and I am a lot older than you) will be in the last wave. Other than the fact that you feel like you are bringing up the rear, I actually prefer it. There is much less of a chance that someone will be swimming over the top of you and the timing (cut off times) are all related to the time of the last wave, so finishing on time should not be an issue. It can be a drag to be toward the rear, but you will likely catch up to people on the bike or the run. Good luck and hope to see you there.

Edited by topolina 2014-02-01 6:15 AM

2014-02-11 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello as I finally paid a few weeks ago. This will be my second Half, having done Racine this past Summer. I hope to complete all three Texas Half's this year, since I waited to long to sign up for IM Texas. Hope everyone's training is going well.
2014-02-11 10:41 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Just found this thread, I was/am on the Texas 70.3 in Galveston thread as well.  I took a couple of months slowly training into the Intermediate Half Ironman - 16 week plan looking for a good showing on my second 70.3.  Five weeks into the plan I ruptured my plantar fascia.  Finally got on a stationary bike last night and seemed to do okay with a sticky pad stuck to the bottom of my foot to keep pressure off the area.  Taking a trip to Big Bend later this week to get my mind off it, lol.  Hopefully I be running soon and can get back on track.  Hope everyone is staying dry/warm/safe out there.  Some crazy weather we've been having.

2014-02-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : (Sold Out)
Just checked the site and Galveston is officially SOLD OUT. I have to say this was much sooner then I was figuring, but then again IM Texas sold out sooner then most thought as well. Sorry to those who waited like I did for IM Texas. Happy Training to all
2014-02-14 9:03 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I was planning for this one, but I went to sign up the day it sold out. I guess I'll be travelling to New Orleans for my early season event.
2014-02-19 4:46 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Starting to watch water termps. This site reports Galveston area around 55 F. Should get a good rise into the 60's in March if weather patterns are at least average.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

2014-02-24 7:04 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Back in and saddle again, had my first 60 minute run in six weeks from my foot issue.  Looking a little more optimistic for race day, at least to show up.  However I missed out on the first of the new medal series at The Cowtown M/HM this past Sunday.

I had a friend miss registration due to selling out.  Procrastination!  Anyone know what the participant cap is, just out of curiosity?

2014-02-26 9:51 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Water temps at the 60 degree mark.

Hoping it gets to 68. Then I'm ditching the wet suit.
2014-02-26 4:32 PM

User image

New user

Queen Creek, Arizona

How does the wind affect the swim?
2014-03-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: Iron Zen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bib numbers and swim wave times have been posted. Getting Closer!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by uhcoog
Views: 14253 Posts: 101

2013-04-12 9:56 PM Grat

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by ernestov
Views: 69173 Posts: 1060

2013-05-28 1:01 PM jte463

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 26108 Posts: 156

2012-12-27 7:47 PM FranzZemen

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57

Started by papson14
Views: 132869 Posts: 1419

2012-06-03 7:33 AM KathyG

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread

Started by thunderfoot
Views: 3994 Posts: 7

2011-04-04 9:59 AM Gawaine79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.