General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need new trainer workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-01-19 7:03 PM

User image

Subject: Need new trainer workouts
I'm getting bored with my trainer workout. Normally I do 40 minutes of spinning then start on the lowest gear on the back sprocket, do 1 minute hard and one minute easy through all the gears.

What are some other workouts I could try?

2014-01-19 7:13 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Need new trainer workouts

Join TrainerRoad, and you'll never be bored again.

2014-01-19 7:29 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Ever given THE SUFFERFEST a try? They keep my pretty entertained and there are vids from 24min - 2Hrs in length.
2014-01-19 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

I second the trainer road ..just signed on this off season and wish i had known about it many winters ago!!

2014-01-19 7:43 PM

User image

Do a search for "indoor trainer workout" on youtube. Doesn't cost a dime.

I've added a handful to itunes after downloading them.

2014-01-19 8:23 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
10-15 min warm up
20 minutes, uncomfortably hard on 5 minutes easy. Repeat x 2 (or 3 or 4....)
10 minute easy cool down

10-15 minute warm up
5 minutes even more uncomfortably hard on 2 minutes super easy. Repeat x as many as you have time for
10 minute easy cool down

10-15 minute warm up
15 minutes moderately hard effort with every three minutes, a minute really hard ( so essentially 2 minutes moderately hard, 1 minute really hard x 5), after every 15 minutes take 5 minutes super easy to recover. Repeat 3-5 times.
10 minute cool down.

10-15 minute warm up
10 minutes sprint Tri effort level
20 minutes Olympic Tri effort level
30 minutes HIM effort level
Repeat x however much time you have (you can also reverse this and go from easier to harder)
10 minute cool down

There are as many bike interval workouts available as you have time to imagine.

2014-01-19 9:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Scottsdale, AZ
Hour of power - I've done this myself and with some of the triathletes I work with at the cycling studio - big hit! You can modify the work efforts to however you like and recover in Z1/Z2. We work with power so the work efforts are slightly above FTP - functional Threshold Power.

Warm up 12 min: 5 min easy spin, 5 min working up to Z4/5, 2 min easy spin

1 min above threshold (FTP)
1 min rest
2 min work
2 min rest
3 min work
3 min rest
4 min work
4 min rest
5 min work
5 min rest
then back down again
4/4
3/3
2/2
1 min all out effort

cool down
approx 62 min before cool down.

the 3 min effort is always the hardest for me, not sure why. Enjoy!

Edited by runspingirl 2014-01-19 9:03 PM
2014-01-20 12:39 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Daniel, Would you be able/willing to list several that you have found to be 'good'? (Good being subjective, I know..)Hope you are recovering well!!Thanks
Originally posted by DanielGDo a search for "indoor trainer workout" on youtube. Doesn't cost a dime.I've added a handful to itunes after downloading them.
2014-01-20 4:53 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Originally posted by triosaurus

Daniel, Would you be able/willing to list several that you have found to be 'good'? (Good being subjective, I know..)Hope you are recovering well!!Thanks
Originally posted by DanielGDo a search for "indoor trainer workout" on youtube. Doesn't cost a dime.I've added a handful to itunes after downloading them.

My idea of "good" right now is other people's version of "boring as hell" and "worthless" mostly because if I push too hard I pull my incisions and I'm just getting back into it

There are a lot of road videos that are just someone put a camera on their helmets or bars and just filmed 1:00 or so. Some of those are interesting once. I like the ones that give a gearing selection and recovery times, actual interval workouts.

I just did this one and it's the first 45 minute roller ride I've done in three months. I'm keeping this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvU

This one kicked my butt but may be okay for someone normal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1HQyedcg-0

My next one. I watched part of it just to make sure I'm going to like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLh6MqKfkI

I'm hoping to work up to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26By075MnQ

Of course, if you like just scenery and taking a ride type videos to work out to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jcfYwHW2o&list=PL7cjvn6glLGOrMUeuV...

When you find one you like, take a look on the right side for related videos, a lot of times there are a couple good ones over there for next time.
2014-01-20 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I usually do the workouts from Jorge's winter cycling program (under "programs" on this website, free). It helps to have a heart rate monitor and/or power meter, but not absolutely essential. They are brutal; I'm not bored because I'm trying too hard to make the watt target or keep HR in the zone, and not puke. If at home, I tend to do them while watching old Kona videos. I don't even particularly want to do any part of an IM except the swim; Kona's not even my favorite part of Hawaii, but the videos remind me that some people have more serious issues (the "human interest" athletes on the NBC shows) and are feeling even hotter and suckier (the pros as many of them drop like flies) than me! Or do them to some nice high-cadence tunes, or a TV program where you don't need to concentrate too much.

Might need to do the "hour of power" or check out Daniel's videos tomorrow AM--supposed to do the 20-minute test but my work schedule is creating yucky conditions for that (as in test at 5 AM or after an 11-hour workday); would rather just do workouts this week and test next week when I'm better rested.
2014-01-20 9:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks to all. Got some new suffering to do.

2014-01-20 9:31 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by triosaurusDaniel, Would you be able/willing to list several that you have found to be 'good'? (Good being subjective, I know..)Hope you are recovering well!!Thanks
My idea of "good" right now is other people's version of "boring as hell" and "worthless" mostly because if I push too hard I pull my incisions and I'm just getting back into it There are a lot of road videos that are just someone put a camera on their helmets or bars and just filmed 1:00 or so. Some of those are interesting once. I like the ones that give a gearing selection and recovery times, actual interval workouts.I just did this one and it's the first 45 minute roller ride I've done in three months. I'm keeping this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvUThis one kicked my butt but may be okay for someone normal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1HQyedcg-0My next one. I watched part of it just to make sure I'm going to like it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLh6MqKfkII'm hoping to work up to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26By075MnQOf course, if you like just scenery and taking a ride type videos to work out to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jcfYwHW2o&list=PL7cjvn6glLGOrMUeuVRrecVhWGqfY2ljzWhen you find one you like, take a look on the right side for related videos, a lot of times there are a couple good ones over there for next time.
Daniel, thanks for taking the time! Glad to see you are well, and 'back in the saddle'.
2014-01-21 7:42 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Jorge's Winter Training Plan is a free plan on BT.  You won't get bored.

2014-01-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks Daniel! Those are really helpful
2014-01-21 9:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

I couldn't find it. I looked under training plans. Is it somewhere else?
2014-01-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by Brian W

Ever given THE SUFFERFEST a try? They keep my pretty entertained and there are vids from 24min - 2Hrs in length.

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Join TrainerRoad, and you'll never be bored again.

You should try TrainerRoad + Sufferfest together!

A HECK of a workout!

2014-01-22 1:44 PM
in reply to: d00d

Spinervals makes some good videos. I was foruntunate enough to find a table full of them on closeout at a bike shop for $4 a piece!

2014-01-22 2:15 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by b2run

Here you go:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=10920&memberlevel=1 

2014-01-22 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Here you go:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=10920&memberlevel=1 

b2run, what make/model trainer do you have?  I have the BT plan in a spreadsheet for use with the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer (CycleOps Fluid2 ok too) to use virtual power.  Makes for cheap way to get into power related training and you will get stronger/faster, as long as you have a rear wheel speed pickup.

2014-01-22 5:43 PM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

Originally posted by wannatri?

Spinervals makes some good videos. I was foruntunate enough to find a table full of them on closeout at a bike shop for $4 a piece!

I swear by spinervals!

I caught it on one of the specials and have pretty much all of the competition series, the fitness series and the ultra conditioning series videos downloaded and on my itunes.

2014-01-22 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
One of my favorites that was recently posted on Triathlete!

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/01/training/one-hour-workout-k...

2014-01-23 5:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
this is a GREAT workout

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/01/my-favorite-...

4x4 min at first, slowly build to 6x4min. You can also build in duration to something like 4x7min.
2014-01-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

I really recomend THE SUFFERFEST!! Those videos are awsome, and they helped me a LOT to improve my bike split.

For my first 70.3 i used onlu SF videos during the week with longer rides on the weekends!! They will beat you good!!
2014-01-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

b2run, what make/model trainer do you have?  I have the BT plan in a spreadsheet for use with the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer (CycleOps Fluid2 ok too) to use virtual power.  Makes for cheap way to get into power related training and you will get stronger/faster, as long as you have a rear wheel speed pickup.

I have the cyclops fluid but no electronics, power, heart rate on it. I've only been doing this one year so I'm haven't advanced to the fancy dodads yet.
2014-01-23 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Donto

I have the cyclops fluid but no electronics, power, heart rate on it. I've only been doing this one year so I'm haven't advanced to the fancy dodads yet.
All you need is to have your speed picked up on the rear wheel.  If you have that, you can use the (virtual) power program of the BT cycling plan using the spreadsheet. If you would like to take a look at it send me an email, its listed on my profile.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need new trainer workouts Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Need a new trainer

Started by Brock Samson
Views: 663 Posts: 4

2009-07-19 5:40 PM vonschnapps

Post your Favorite SWIM workout (need something new)

Started by snake111
Views: 1371 Posts: 6

2008-07-05 7:20 AM amyro1234

Spining and Trainer workouts

Started by Kpoulsen
Views: 1188 Posts: 14

2005-11-27 11:32 AM vortmax

bike trainer workouts

Started by kleinrider
Views: 789 Posts: 4

2005-11-17 3:49 PM scuba-punk

Favorite Trainer workouts?

Started by KathyG
Views: 729 Posts: 8

2005-10-13 12:44 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?