General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running App Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-19 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chi Running App
Hi:

I'm a runner/triathlete who has been battling injury for the last 14 months. My doctor and PT are urging that I change my running stride (147 steps per minute) with the hopes that doing so will help prevent injury. I'm a guy who benefits from coaching but money is a big issue right now. I was thinking of buying the Chi Running App for ten bucks. Has anyone tried it? And if so, is it worth it?

Thanks!
DQ

2014-01-20 1:47 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Chi Running App
I'm sure it is more than a metronome, but if higher cadence is the goal...that is all you need. Just be sensible and only bump up the bpm 5 or so per week.
2014-01-20 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Have you read the chi running book? I'd read and study that first.

Changing the way you run when you are older, can cause issues. I worked with my tri coach to change my running style to be more mid foot and within 2 weeks and up with PF that I struggled with for 15 months.

2014-01-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pennsylvania

It was recently on sale in the appStore for $2.99, so I bought it last week.  I don't know if the sale price is still applicable but it's worth a look.  I'm currently injured, too, and am looking forward to using it when I'm able to run again.

2014-01-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
When I started running, I used a FREE app called Mobile Metronome to run to 180 BPM/steps per minute.

You can set it to different sounds for the beat (electronic beep, classic metronome, cowbell, wooden clave, and some others, I think), and input practically any "beat time" you want. It will even accent the first beat, for a left/right difference, if you want it to.

I still use it all the time to figure out the beat of a song. You can tap the beat on the smartphone screen, and it will tell you the tempo.

Pretty cool little app! Especially considering it's FREE, and no ads, either!

Now - I've put together a Playlist of my music that's all around either 90 or 180 BPM. I still occasionally use Mobile Metronome to check my SPM.

Edited by DannyII 2014-01-20 1:38 PM
2014-01-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4934855

Hi. I'm just about to qualify as a chi running instructor. The app has a few nice features. It has a bank of videos which complement the book nicely ( I wouldn't use them in isolation though - they're better as reminders than a full explanation.)

You can programme it to give you advice on which chi running focusses you want to work on during your run. So you need to have an idea of which elements of chi running you want to work on,mid say if you are an experienced runner and have read and understood the chi running book, the all could be very useful depending on how you learn.

Any more questions about the app? Please ask.

I'd also say that you should try to work with a chi running instructor at some point in the future if you can.

2014-01-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4935253

Kathyg I agree changing the way you run can cause injuries. As long as you follow guidance closely, chi running should help you to relax more which is very unlikely to cause injury. Chi running has been found to cause less impact when compared to other running styles.
2014-01-20 8:29 PM
in reply to: jonburdon

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
What does "less impact" mean? And can you link to the specific studies that show chi running causes less impact?
2014-01-21 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Qua17Hi: I'm a runner/triathlete who has been battling injury for the last 14 months. My doctor and PT are urging that I change my running stride (147 steps per minute) with the hopes that doing so will help prevent injury. I'm a guy who benefits from coaching but money is a big issue right now. I was thinking of buying the Chi Running App for ten bucks. Has anyone tried it? And if so, is it worth it? Thanks! DQ
Hey David,I use use a runners metronome. I use to do a count check. The metronome keeps my spm honest and easier to change my spm during a run. I run 160-190 spm but I still strike pretty much the same. I hurt my metatarsal by doing box jumps during high mileage running. That was not good thing to do for this old fart. (See Recovery) Anyway at 147spm that must be some serious striding. Shorting the strides is proven to prevent injuries. As anything else a periodization is needed. I really do not know nothing about Chi Running. I did a quick read and I can tell that would not be something for me. The main reason is I have tried many forms of running over the last 35 years and I have always gone back to my natural strike. The proof is on the bottom of my shoes.I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it works out.
2014-01-21 9:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
double post

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-01-21 9:06 AM
2014-01-22 12:39 AM

I was told it is not a good thing to try to change your running stride. That may be interesting to have a look at Chi Running App but be careful! You back and legs are very sensitive to any change in your running stride. You may not feel it at the beginning but you later will.

2014-01-22 7:48 AM
in reply to: Manu3172

User image

Expert
Thanks a ton for all the advice and responses. A couple of thoughts...

1) I have been injured for more than 13 months and haven't been able to put together a week of more than 15 miles since 2012. I agree about the fact that changing strides can lead to injury and it's why I have been so reluctant but with IMMT on the calendar, I'm willing to try anything.

2) There is no question that I have an extremely long stride but I also have weakness on my left side from a car accident when I was 12. While I've spent 3 months doing PT to overcome the imbalance, I am convinced that reducing the impact has got to help.

3) Metronomes have been great and are helping me to shorten my stroke and speed up my cadence. What I haven't figured out yet is how to regulate my pace. The faster I stride the faster I run and I need to figure out a way to keep the stride count up while slowing down the speed.

I appreciate the help! I'm gonna get the book from the library and go from there.

Thanks,
DQ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running App Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

C25K App on Amazon Free App of the Day

Started by Letmi
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2011-10-05 6:16 PM Letmi

Chi Running/Pose Method Running/Barefoot/whatever

Started by DBear
Views: 2463 Posts: 14

2007-08-25 2:58 PM Rowdy

So far, what I know about Chi Running....

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 1104 Posts: 16

2005-04-27 1:17 PM Rowdy

Chi Running

Started by foxycharmer
Views: 1175 Posts: 17

2005-04-21 4:41 PM foxycharmer

Chi Running

Started by frsully
Views: 953 Posts: 10

2005-03-24 4:54 PM jtat17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : August 6, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
In this second part, Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss several ways to correct your posture for better running.
date : June 3, 2009
comments : 1
Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss how to improve your transition from the bike to the run.

date : March 5, 2006
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
Six months of running focus have paid off in unexpected ways. My training has focused on completing a half-iron distance which is still a few months away.

date : October 2, 2005
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.
date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.

date : July 17, 2005
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.