General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-08-01 9:25 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by dondie 8 weeks to go! i cannot wait! this would be my first 70.3 race in US..where is everyone staying?

Jeez, I saw your other post from yesterday but just saw this one...  8 weeks??    cr@p!!!!!!!  

Currently have reservations at Hampton Inn a couple miles from finish.  Wanted to stay at green Valley but Hampton was like 1/2 the price.

I'm staying at Homewood Suites close to the run course. I'm in the same boat as you, wanted to stay at Green Valley Ranch but couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a hotel.

I'm definitely interested in hearing the report of the bike course. I'll take as much info as I can get.

2014-08-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: dondie

User image

Originally posted by dondie

Originally posted by StevenC

Latigo is never anyone's friend

I will be heading out there next month 8/30, and plan to ride the course and maybe do one run loop. Anyone's free to join but I will give a full report.

There's a big chance I may be able to make it since that's a long weekend! Do you know where you're staying? or are you a local? A full report would be very helpful for everyone, thanks!

That would be cool. I am a LA guy too. Staying at GVR and bringing wife. Figured she puts up with my training so she should get a nice pool and spa for a couple of days. Keep me posted if you can make it next month.
2014-08-05 6:29 PM

User image

Member of LA Tri but never really do anything with them so not renewing.  I've recently joined Cal Tri.  Free and seems like a great organization, definitely give that website a lok (and it's free to sign up, so.....).

I train down in the south bay area.

I've been thinking about joining Cal Tri (i should probably join now) ..i always see them trianing in Rosebowl on Wednesdays..
2014-08-05 6:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by dondie 8 weeks to go! i cannot wait! this would be my first 70.3 race in US..where is everyone staying?

Jeez, I saw your other post from yesterday but just saw this one...  8 weeks??    cr@p!!!!!!!  

Currently have reservations at Hampton Inn a couple miles from finish.  Wanted to stay at green Valley but Hampton was like 1/2 the price.

i know, right? 8 weeks!! time flies!

I have a reservation in Sienna Suites on Boulder Hwy..it's also in Henderson..

2014-08-05 6:52 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Latigo is never anyone's friend

I will be heading out there next month 8/30, and plan to ride the course and maybe do one run loop. Anyone's free to join but I will give a full report.

There's a big chance I may be able to make it since that's a long weekend! Do you know where you're staying? or are you a local? A full report would be very helpful for everyone, thanks!

That would be cool. I am a LA guy too. Staying at GVR and bringing wife. Figured she puts up with my training so she should get a nice pool and spa for a couple of days. Keep me posted if you can make it next month.

Will keep you posted as soon as I finalize the plans!
2014-08-06 9:58 AM

User image

New user

>

The IM rate for GVR is $135 / night. I booked that for 3 nights a few months ago. Are you saying the Hampton is only $68 / night??

2014-08-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by iP2

>

The IM rate for GVR is $135 / night. I booked that for 3 nights a few months ago. Are you saying the Hampton is only $68 / night??
Rate all depends on when you book and for how many nights. I compared the rates for fri and sat nite race weekend, gvr was almost $400. Hampton was <200. Eta and just checked $80 a night. That pays for gas

Edited by ChrisM 2014-08-06 10:20 AM
2014-08-06 10:45 AM

User image

Eta and just checked $80 a night. That pays for gas

Gas? I figured you would just ride out there to get a good workout in. 300 miles, no problem. There is only one big hill.
2014-08-06 11:22 AM

User image

New user

Originally posted by iP2

>

Rate all depends on when you book and for how many nights. I compared the rates for fri and sat nite race weekend, gvr was almost $400. Hampton was <200. Eta and just checked $80 a night. That pays for gas

Actually the IM rate is fixed. If you go to the Silverman site - Travel, GVR is one of their host hotels. There's even a code you give when you call in to reserve. If they still have availability, you can lock in that rate.
2014-08-06 12:12 PM
in reply to: iP2

User image

Thanks for the info.  But not worth it to me to spend another $100 on this trip.  I've stayed at the Hamption for races and it's a good spot.  This is just a quick Vegas(ish) in and out  trip for us, spending our money on other trips this year.

2014-08-06 12:39 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for the info.  But not worth it to me to spend another $100 on this trip.  I've stayed at the Hamption for races and it's a good spot.  This is just a quick Vegas(ish) in and out  trip for us, spending our money on other trips this year.

No I hear ya. If my wife and kids weren't coming, I would have gone with the cheapest options. Good luck at the race. First time doing this race so all your feedback on it has been much appreciated.

2014-08-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: iP2

User image

Originally posted by iP2

No I hear ya. If my wife and kids weren't coming, I would have gone with the cheapest options. Good luck at the race. First time doing this race so all your feedback on it has been much appreciated.

Yeah, we splurged on some other races this year, new orleans, san francisco, new york.  It was starting to get a little nuts! 

2014-08-07 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

Booked a 2 bdrm condo through VRBO for $110/night. Much better value than any hotel if travelling with the family.

2014-08-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: wolff840

User image

7 weeks guys!! pus 1 week of tapering!

who's going to be there on Friday, Oct 3rd?

anyone up for an easy pace bike ride in the afternoon? maybe part of the bike course?
2014-08-07 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

I might up for a ride - planning to get there on 10/05 in the early afternoon as well.

2014-08-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: wolff840

I'm going to be out in Vegas for the weekend and I am thinking of at least driving the bike course. (Mom's birthday trip so no time for an actual ride)

Considered running the garmin while in the car and see what sort of values I get.

2014-08-07 3:22 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

Originally posted by alex_korr

I might up for a ride - planning to get there on 10/05 in the early afternoon as well.

Did you mean 10/03?
2014-08-07 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

yeah 10/03 - the timing of showing on 10/05 might be a bit problematic

2014-08-07 4:06 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

LOL!

ok, i hope we can all meet and ride the course, or part of it, also maybe we can do an early swim satruday morning..
2014-08-07 4:42 PM

User image

LOL!

ok, i hope we can all meet and ride the course, or part of it, also maybe we can do an early swim satruday morning..

I should be there by early Friday afternoon as well. Definitely open to a quick ride and then Sat swim. is it really just 8 weeks away. Heading to Hawaii in a couple days. Have a 70.3 next weekend. Should be a good warmup race.
2014-08-07 5:19 PM

User image

LOL!

I should be there by early Friday afternoon as well. Definitely open to a quick ride and then Sat swim. is it really just 8 weeks away. Heading to Hawaii in a couple days. Have a 70.3 next weekend. Should be a good warmup race.

believe it or not, 8 weeks! haha

is that the Kona 70.3? i thought that was back in June? anyway, goodluck! what's your target time?

2014-08-07 6:26 PM

User image

LOL!

is that the Kona 70.3? i thought that was back in June? anyway, goodluck! what's your target time?

No, it's a brand new one on Oahu that looks like a fun local event. Not nearly as hard as Kona. Kawela Tri, which translates to "the heat". So there's that. Two lap swim with the current and a beach run between laps. Then point to point bike with a tailwind most of the way. Goes right past our rental house so family can check me out as I ride by. If I can get to the run early before it get's too hot or if there are some clouds and rain, I could do ok. Shooting for <5:15 (:35, 2:45, 1:50)
2014-08-07 7:01 PM

User image

LOL!

No, it's a brand new one on Oahu that looks like a fun local event. Not nearly as hard as Kona. Kawela Tri, which translates to "the heat". So there's that. Two lap swim with the current and a beach run between laps. Then point to point bike with a tailwind most of the way. Goes right past our rental house so family can check me out as I ride by. If I can get to the run early before it get's too hot or if there are some clouds and rain, I could do ok. Shooting for <5:15 (:35, 2:45, 1:50)

That sounds like a great warm up for Vegas! i think <5:15 is doable! goodluck! and post some pictures!
2014-08-08 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

What's your plan on the logistics for 8/30 (parking, departure point/time, etc)?

I picked up a room at TownePlace Suites Las Vegas Henderson for $89 per night for race weekend, couple miles from the finish line.
2014-08-08 10:44 AM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Originally posted by cjhild

What's your plan on the logistics for 8/30 (parking, departure point/time, etc)?

I picked up a room at TownePlace Suites Las Vegas Henderson for $89 per night for race weekend, couple miles from the finish line.

I am staying at GVR, which is right down the street. It's around 20 miles to Boulder Beach. So if we want to start at the beginning of the bike course we would probably need to drive. Or thinking simpler to just start near the hotels and catch the course route where it hits Northshore drive. That would skip the first 8 or 9 miles out of Boulder Beach but give a good look at the rest of the course. So something like this.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/498047996

Wanted to hit early. 6, 630? I know that's probably late for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread

Started by g_shotts
Views: 2489 Posts: 2

2010-06-03 10:56 AM trid

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by chile7473
Views: 18467 Posts: 130

2011-08-30 2:24 PM Dultra

Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by trishie
Views: 37628 Posts: 379

2010-04-04 7:40 PM distancegirl

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30582 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.