General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-08-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: dondie

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread
Originally posted by dondie

Originally posted by ChrisM

Water level issues looking worse   lake mead

Flew over it this weekend and even from 35K feet you could see evidence of the receding waterline.

bummer! Do you think they might move the swim course somewhere? where they had the WC?

I wondered the same thing with the low water levels. How long of a run would we have to do to get from the edge of the lake to T1 with the water so low?

2014-08-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

New user

With over 4000 ft of elevation gain anyone thinking of riding their roadie vs TT?
2014-08-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

Flew over it this weekend and even from 35K feet you could see evidence of the receding waterline.

bummer! Do you think they might move the swim course somewhere? where they had the WC?

I wondered the same thing with the low water levels. How long of a run would we have to do to get from the edge of the lake to T1 with the water so low?

i hope not too far. we need our legs for the hilly course
2014-08-15 12:10 PM
in reply to: farr0117

User image

Originally posted by farr0117

With over 4000 ft of elevation gain anyone thinking of riding their roadie vs TT?

i'm bringing my TT with 12-28 cassette
2014-08-15 1:10 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

Are you bringing a standard or a compact upfront? If you have a compact, then there is really just a single 0.6 mile stretch of the 6% grade where you might be able to utilize your 34-28 gearing. The rest of the course tops out at the 4% grade where a 34-25 should be sufficient.

2014-08-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

Originally posted by alex_korr

Are you bringing a standard or a compact upfront? If you have a compact, then there is really just a single 0.6 mile stretch of the 6% grade where you might be able to utilize your 34-28 gearing. The rest of the course tops out at the 4% grade where a 34-25 should be sufficient.

ahh typo! i meant 12-25..(i also have an 11-28)..but i'm bringing my 12-25..

2014-08-15 1:35 PM

User image

For me, compact and either just the 12-30 I have and have used for Canada, wildflower, etc. or maybe pick up an 11-28.  I spin out pretty quickly on the 50-12, but not sure a 50-11 is going to do much (I am also a wimp going downhill so not going to go much faster than 40)

Definitely a TT bike. 

Do they make compact shoes for the run now that you've ruined that for me??? 

2014-08-15 1:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

i hope not too far. we need our legs for the hilly course

It's going to be a loooooooong way.  Under normal circumstances it's long, and every race I've done at Mead the way the parking is set up, the transitions are always long and narrow.  Then it's a bit of a climb out of the lake onto lakeshore. 

2014-08-15 1:37 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Also, if you're on FB go to the Silverman page, Frank Lowery the RD is posting Qs and As, including shuttle info etc.

2014-08-15 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

By the way, for those of you in the LA area, especially in the valley - here's a really good approximation of 1 loop of Silverman based on what I've been able to find on the web. It is a roughly 2.1 mile climb where you gain about 250 feet. It is also known as the flat section of the La Tuna climb. 

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/505010726

2014-08-15 2:23 PM

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA
Anyone have an idea of the predicted temp for race day?

2014-08-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: R-Star

User image

Originally posted by R-Star Anyone have an idea of the predicted temp for race day?

Historical should be mid 80s

Could be 100s

Could be 70s

2014-08-15 4:00 PM

User image

By the way, for those of you in the LA area, especially in the valley - here's a really good approximation of 1 loop of Silverman based on what I've been able to find on the web. It is a roughly 2.1 mile climb where you gain about 250 feet. It is also known as the flat section of the La Tuna climb. 

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/505010726

i ride La Tuna every now and then but i don't run it..thanks for the info!
2014-08-15 4:03 PM

User image

Also, if you're on FB go to the Silverman page, Frank Lowery the RD is posting Qs and As, including shuttle info etc.

thanks! lots of info about race day!
2014-08-15 4:07 PM

User image

For me, compact and either just the 12-30 I have and have used for Canada, wildflower, etc. or maybe pick up an 11-28.  I spin out pretty quickly on the 50-12, but not sure a 50-11 is going to do much (I am also a wimp going downhill so not going to go much faster than 40)

Definitely a TT bike. 

yeah, i hardly use my 11.. i like high cadence to save my legs for the run..i think a 12 should be fine..
2014-08-15 5:30 PM

User image

Definitely a TT bike. 

yeah, i hardly use my 11.. i like high cadence to save my legs for the run..i think a 12 should be fine..

For what it's worth, I am using TT with 50/36 front and 11-28 rear. should be more than enough for hills and don't plan on going faster than 40-42 mph downhill. Still looking for compact running shoes but no luck yet

2014-08-19 3:41 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

Definitely a TT bike. 

For what it's worth, I am using TT with 50/36 front and 11-28 rear. should be more than enough for hills and don't plan on going faster than 40-42 mph downhill. Still looking for compact running shoes but no luck yet

You should be fine with that setup.

2014-08-19 3:42 PM
in reply to: wolff840

User image

Is anyone bringing their wetsuits?

2014-08-19 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

I am definitely bringing one, unless they disallow wetsuits altogether due to the water temps.

2014-08-19 5:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by dondie Is anyone bringing their wetsuits?

Definitely

I'm calling it now, it will be wetsuit legal     But actually wouldn't mind if it wasn't (would prefer it in fact, but it's unlikely IME at Mead)

2014-08-19 7:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by dondie Is anyone bringing their wetsuits?

Definitely

I'm calling it now, it will be wetsuit legal     But actually wouldn't mind if it wasn't (would prefer it in fact, but it's unlikely IME at Mead)

Yeah, i guess i'll just bring one, just in case..

2014-08-21 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Good info, thanks everyone!

I'm getting close to peak hours on my training plan and feeling a lot more confident about doing this one. It's my first 70.3!

People flying in, how are you getting your bike there? I'm thinking I'm going to ship mine to the hotel but not 100% on that yet!

We are staying at the M Resort. It's about 6 miles from the finish, but I love the pool there so it'll be great for the night before and the night of, then we are headed to the Wynn for the rest of the week!
2014-08-28 11:22 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

For anyone happens to be around Vegas this weekend, a couple of us will be checking out part of the bike and run course. Will be leaving from GVR at 6a. Let me know if any interest. We will report back with course feedback next week. Enjoy the holiday weekend and be safe.
2014-08-28 4:48 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

For anyone happens to be around Vegas this weekend, a couple of us will be checking out part of the bike and run course. Will be leaving from GVR at 6a. Let me know if any interest. We will report back with course feedback next week. Enjoy the holiday weekend and be safe.

Turns out, I am not able to go this weekend..Have fun and be safe..Looking forward to your reports..5 weeks to go! yes, 5 weeks!!
2014-08-31 12:38 PM
in reply to: wolff840

User image

Justin and I had a chance to preview the bike course yesterday so here is a quick recap. If you are in the M45-49, ChrisM, please ignore this info. Everyone else feel free to use

I'll stick to the relevant facts and skip the part about snapping my front derailleur cable and having to use granny gear for the last 40 miles or the fact that we made a couple wrong turns and missed the turnaround so it ended up at 65 miles and finished when the temp was 100+. So let's gloss over that part.

Ok, I'll break down to several sections

First section is Lakeshore Dr from Boulder beach to N Lakeshore. It makes up the first 9-10 miles. We did not go all the way to beginning but did the last 3 miles, which includes a nice little 2+ mile climb of 200+ feet. The road in this section is a little rough but not that bad. Not as bad as chip and seal. Just rougher than the rest of the course, which is very smooth.

From there you turn onto N Lakeshore, which makes up most of the course. It's out and back roughly 30 miles. It's pretty good rollers both ways but going out is much tougher. It starts with a nice long downhill but after that it turns mostly uphill. It goes from about 1300 feet up to over 1800 feet with some downhill sections mixed in. The positive is that none of the climbs are too long before you get some relief and you can make up speed on the downhill. Coming back is the opposite with longer downhill sections and shorter uphill sections. The road condition is good. It has a wide shoulder that has a rumble strip in most sections but is is only about 2 feet wide so it doesn't take up the whole shoulder. Room to right and left. Also, it's not a really bad strip but we stayed most on the road. Since the course is open to traffic and lots of trucks with boats, you will have to spend some time on shoulder.

At the end of Northshore and beginning of Lake Mead Parkway is the toughest climb of the course. Starts around mile 39 and goes for 3.5 miles. Not too steep, averages 2.5% grade. But it feels like it goes on a while and some sections are 6-7%. The good thing is that Lake Mead Parkway section is smooth road. Once you finish that climb, there is almost 5 miles that is very flat and fast.

This takes you into Warm Springs Rd, which is also very flat and fast and recently repaved. This section is 4 miles long and everyone should be moving pretty quick the entire length.

Ok, homestretch is a bit tough. At mile 52 we turn up Gibson and it's a long climb of almost 3 miles, averaging 1.8%, peaking the last 500m at about 6% or so. Road is smooth so not too bad but so late in the ride. Last 2 miles is on Paseo Verde and has a few rollers but nothing to tough.

So overall a very cool but definitely challenging course. I like because it is always varying. Some time to aero plenty of climbs and descents so it doesn't get boring. None of the climbs are too steep for any length of time. Maybe a couple hundred meters >7 or 8, but that's it. Scenario is beautiful with great desert vistas. We even saw a couple of big horn sheep running up a hill.

We passed on the run since we did not get back until the temp was 100+. Decided a dip in the pool would be better decision. We did ride the one section of Paseo and that part looks pretty good uphill and it gets worse going up Green Valley. So run seem all uphill or downhill. Good luck with that.

Feel free to should out any questions.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread

Started by g_shotts
Views: 2489 Posts: 2

2010-06-03 10:56 AM trid

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by chile7473
Views: 18467 Posts: 130

2011-08-30 2:24 PM Dultra

Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by trishie
Views: 37629 Posts: 379

2010-04-04 7:40 PM distancegirl

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30582 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.