General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-10-07 12:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread

Mile 56 of the bike, guess I wasn't hurting that badly....had enough to smile

Edited by ChrisM 2014-10-07 12:24 AM

2014-10-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Regular
Corona
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by alex_korr

yes, this was tough indeed. close to 12% dnf rate by some accounts. but this was my kinda race.

some minor .

whoever made the wetsuit legal call, should be smacked. the water was easily 80 degrees 100 yards off the shore. i think that people who wore full suits got baked and i am sure that this did not help on the bike or the run. another thing was the freaking boats and big trucks on Shoreline drive - couldn't they have been re-routed? this was just asking for trouble. the run course was punishing enough without those hairpin turns on concrete exiting the stadium (twice!).

other than that, the race was well organized, especially the run part. all aid stations were well stocked/attended to and ice was plentiful. i had no trouble staying cool.

i will be back in 2015.

I wore a full suit, and would guess that all but 2 in the AWA mens wave wore one.  It probably wasn't wetsuit legal, it was a bit warm, but I don't htink it affected my bike and run, I went about what I thought I would there.  Swim was slow for a wetsuit legal flat swim for me, someone on ST reporting an extra 200 yds or so on the swim.  I am going with that 

And yes, coming back on northsore, holy sh***t!!!   Being in the early wave my westboud lane was pretty clear, but the eastbound lane was full of riders, and I had several cars fully in my lane coming at me.  That was sketchy, not sure the RD can get a road closure in a national park.

There was a BMW traveling east pretty fast, wasn't buzzing us but too fast, a few miles later I passed him, stopped by a park ranger getting a ticket 

I was one of the DNF and it was a complete bonehead move on my part and I was so zoned out I didn't know what I was doing.

On my 2nd lap of the run I was determined to run the rest of the course and I focused and completely zoned out. On the way up Green Valley Pkwy I focused on the guys feet in front of me and just stayed there. I apparently zoned out enough that I followed him into the finish. My wife said she was SCREAMING at me when I passed and I didn't remember hearing anything. My timing chip was finished and I was embarrassed. I didn't take a medal or hat. I grabbed my stuff and took off. I was pissed. 9 miles in and I felt great! That was the first time in anything longer than an Oly where I didn't cramp and felt good off the bike. Kicked my butt.

And I saw 3 dudes get run off the road by some jack hole in a Mustang around mile 20 on my way back from the turn around. That was gnarly with the cars out there. For the most part they were gtg but there is always 1 or 2 people that are a-holes.
2014-10-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

That was one tough course. I just tried to it easy and not die out there. I was ok on swim with sleeveless. Was really hurting on those uphills and managed just a slow walk/run on the second and third loop hills. Heat was rough and the ride home was probably the toughest part of the day.

Great race and awesome volunteers. Those cars in the park were definitely sketchy. Hope everyone had a great time.

Same here..i was cramping every mile on the run..but had fun overall eventhough I didnt make my goal time.

What is everyone's time? Mine is 7:20..will do better next year for sure!

2014-10-07 1:43 PM

User image

You're a freak! haha congrats on an awesome finish!
2014-10-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: dondie

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

5:28, bib#1342. The last loop of the run had me slow down to almost a crawl. 

2014-10-07 1:48 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

Confirmed - the swim course was about 1.3 miles on my watch as well. looks like the second turn buoy was set up a bit too far. 

I had a feeling the swim course was a little off.

2014-10-07 1:51 PM

User image

Great finish!
2014-10-07 2:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by dondie

You're a freak! haha congrats on an awesome finish!

Helps cuz my wife is always out there screaming her head off   I think I was just glad to have the bike over with.  I had read somewhere to "not underestimate the Gibson hill" and had it in te back of my mind the last 10 miles.  I found the last 5 to be pretty rough, with the slight incline the whole way.

I wanted sub 6, got 6:07, so pretty close. Run felt good to start but the walks started around mile 6, and you know once those start..... 

2014-10-07 2:59 PM

User image

Solid time on an unforgiving course

2014-10-07 3:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by tmoran07

yes, this was tough indeed. close to 12% dnf rate by some accounts. but this was my kinda race.

some minor .

whoever made the wetsuit legal call, should be smacked. the water was easily 80 degrees 100 yards off the shore. i think that people who wore full suits got baked and i am sure that this did not help on the bike or the run. another thing was the freaking boats and big trucks on Shoreline drive - couldn't they have been re-routed? this was just asking for trouble. the run course was punishing enough without those hairpin turns on concrete exiting the stadium (twice!).

other than that, the race was well organized, especially the run part. all aid stations were well stocked/attended to and ice was plentiful. i had no trouble staying cool.

i will be back in 2015.

I wore a full suit, and would guess that all but 2 in the AWA mens wave wore one.  It probably wasn't wetsuit legal, it was a bit warm, but I don't htink it affected my bike and run, I went about what I thought I would there.  Swim was slow for a wetsuit legal flat swim for me, someone on ST reporting an extra 200 yds or so on the swim.  I am going with that 

And yes, coming back on northsore, holy sh***t!!!   Being in the early wave my westboud lane was pretty clear, but the eastbound lane was full of riders, and I had several cars fully in my lane coming at me.  That was sketchy, not sure the RD can get a road closure in a national park.

There was a BMW traveling east pretty fast, wasn't buzzing us but too fast, a few miles later I passed him, stopped by a park ranger getting a ticket 

I was one of the DNF and it was a complete bonehead move on my part and I was so zoned out I didn't know what I was doing. On my 2nd lap of the run I was determined to run the rest of the course and I focused and completely zoned out. On the way up Green Valley Pkwy I focused on the guys feet in front of me and just stayed there. I apparently zoned out enough that I followed him into the finish. My wife said she was SCREAMING at me when I passed and I didn't remember hearing anything. My timing chip was finished and I was embarrassed. I didn't take a medal or hat. I grabbed my stuff and took off. I was pissed. 9 miles in and I felt great! That was the first time in anything longer than an Oly where I didn't cramp and felt good off the bike. Kicked my butt. And I saw 3 dudes get run off the road by some jack hole in a Mustang around mile 20 on my way back from the turn around. That was gnarly with the cars out there. For the most part they were gtg but there is always 1 or 2 people that are a-holes.

Oh man, that's a hell of a way to DNF... sorry about that, i can see it happening to me.

I will probably come back in 2015.  But I'll tell you one thing, i ain't driving home that day.  Silverman took less time than the drive  :^

BTW I see a lot of DNFs in the results, but also a lot of DQs, looking up a friend's time in F45-49 seemed to be quite a lot.  Wonder what was up with that?

Edited by ChrisM 2014-10-07 3:02 PM
2014-10-07 3:48 PM

User image

my time was 6:22. definitely well slower than I had hoped for. I think I had unrealistic expectations and add to that a very tough course and conditions. I was happy to finish and was completely spent on the run. Could barely stay upright after. In massage tent almost every muscle cramped up. First time I have ever hurt that bad.

Ride home was the worst part of the day. Big mistake. Had to pull over and lie down in rest stop a couple times. Vowed never to do another long tri again. That lasted about a day and I just signed up for 2015 Bayshore 70.4 in LB.

I would definitely do this race next year but maybe just fly back and have somebody bring my bike back to SC. Any takers

Nice pic ChrisM. in all mine I look half dead. Why to the photographers always position themselves at the top of the climbs??

2014-10-07 3:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC my time was 6:22. definitely well slower than I had hoped for. I think I had unrealistic expectations and add to that a very tough course and conditions. I was happy to finish and was completely spent on the run. Could barely stay upright after. In massage tent almost every muscle cramped up. First time I have ever hurt that bad. Ride home was the worst part of the day. Big mistake. Had to pull over and lie down in rest stop a couple times. Vowed never to do another long tri again. That lasted about a day and I just signed up for 2015 Bayshore 70.4 in LB. I would definitely do this race next year but maybe just fly back and have somebody bring my bike back to SC. Any takers Nice pic ChrisM. in all mine I look half dead. Why to the photographers always position themselves at the top of the climbs??

I may actually buy race pics, for the first time in a long time, they got some decent shots from the side on the bike. I may look at velotranz next year, it's a local company and think way cheaper than TBT.

I didn't think I'd like that run course, but the more I think about it the more I do, I thought it was an appropriately hard challenge.  My first mile and last mile felt great, everything in between, not so great, but plodded along.

So what's next, a few months of donut rides? 

2014-10-07 4:13 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

What is everyone's time? Mine is 7:20..will do better next year for sure!

I managed a 5:53 and was pleased. That bike course was gnarly. The last 8-10 miles were just miserable; all i wanted was to be off that bike. Silverman gave me everything I wanted and more but I was happy with my race. I'd like to do it again sometime. Maybe in a few years.... I feel bad for you poor suckers that drove home the same day. There was a lot of misery happening on that run course. LOVE IT!
2014-10-07 4:17 PM
in reply to: tmoran07

User image

. And I saw 3 dudes get run off the road by some jack hole in a Mustang around mile 20 on my way back from the turn around. That was gnarly with the cars out there. For the most part they were gtg but there is always 1 or 2 people that are a-holes.

Coming back west on northshore I was shocked at the number of cyclists on the course.  Out of curiosity, went and looked at the old silverman results.  Between the half and full, they had something like 600 folks, 200 in the full so starting early and therefore spread out.  WTC 70.3 had 1600+.   I can see that the old silvermna was (IMO) musch safer from a cyclist/car perspective, as there was no pack forcing cars into the oncoming lane to pass.   I can't even imagine the S Show that must have been when the pack turned and there were lots of cyclists on both roads.

This is the only thing that would make me hesitate to come back.

2014-10-07 5:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC my time was 6:22. definitely well slower than I had hoped for. I think I had unrealistic expectations and add to that a very tough course and conditions. I was happy to finish and was completely spent on the run. Could barely stay upright after. In massage tent almost every muscle cramped up. First time I have ever hurt that bad. Ride home was the worst part of the day. Big mistake. Had to pull over and lie down in rest stop a couple times. Vowed never to do another long tri again. That lasted about a day and I just signed up for 2015 Bayshore 70.4 in LB. I would definitely do this race next year but maybe just fly back and have somebody bring my bike back to SC. Any takers Nice pic ChrisM. in all mine I look half dead. Why to the photographers always position themselves at the top of the climbs??

I may actually buy race pics, for the first time in a long time, they got some decent shots from the side on the bike. I may look at velotranz next year, it's a local company and think way cheaper than TBT.

I didn't think I'd like that run course, but the more I think about it the more I do, I thought it was an appropriately hard challenge.  My first mile and last mile felt great, everything in between, not so great, but plodded along.

So what's next, a few months of donut rides? 

I cannot wait to get on the road bike again and put away the Tri bike for a while. Definitely up for a few donut rides. Hopefully the temp will finally start dropping. Camping with the family this wknd up at Jalama and will do a easy solo ride. After that will try to get out there Saturdays at 8a. Send me a note when you are planning to go. They just posted on the FB page that they will start easing up on the pace a bit now that racing season is coming to an end.

Signed up for HITS Palm Springs but really thinking about bailing. Just have a couple running races. You're doing that Catalina Marathon, right? You really have a thing for hills.
2014-10-07 6:01 PM

User image

I would've rather gone up Gibson twice than have to come down warm springs and the parkway....don't remember many downhils that were no help. Lol! That was my first tri period. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. Swam better than I hoped, biked my goal, but not getting nutrition right on the bike led to bad leg cramps during both the first lap up and down, yes twice, on Green Valley. Managed to walk them off after a few minutes and worked out a management program that got me through. In the end I beat my goal by almost 2 min with a 5:58:16. I'm happy to hear that they are all easier from there, but I would definitely do that one again. #1337.

2014-10-07 6:07 PM
in reply to: brianhsauer

User image

5:58 on your first tri at Silverman is impressive!

2014-10-07 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

Very nice time for any 70.3. Nutrition is very individual dependent. I try to eat a gel every 30 mins on the bike - this works for me. I just tape 5-6 gels taped on the tube and have my garmin go off every 30 minutes. Never failed me in a half or a full.

2014-10-07 11:03 PM

User image

Thanks for the suggestion Alex. I saw a few bikes set up like that. May have to give it a try. I went with lots of bananas, they were squeezing really easy and don't think you'd get cited for ditching them after the aid station. I kind of lost my mind after starting the downhill on Lake Mead Pkwy. My last split was over 10% slower than than 2&3, the legs were leaving.
2014-10-07 11:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

my time was 6:22. definitely well slower than I had hoped for. I think I had unrealistic expectations and add to that a very tough course and conditions. I was happy to finish and was completely spent on the run. Could barely stay upright after. In massage tent almost every muscle cramped up. First time I have ever hurt that bad.

Ride home was the worst part of the day. Big mistake. Had to pull over and lie down in rest stop a couple times. Vowed never to do another long tri again. That lasted about a day and I just signed up for 2015 Bayshore 70.4 in LB.

I would definitely do this race next year but maybe just fly back and have somebody bring my bike back to SC. Any takers

Nice pic ChrisM. in all mine I look half dead. Why to the photographers always position themselves at the top of the climbs??

I may see you in LB StevenC....
2014-10-08 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

The thing is that gels have maltodextrin. Malto is more effective for the workouts fueling (and recovery for that matter) - banana is probably the best whole food choice all in all but malto will act faster ie with less blood required to digest it. Less blood to the gut - more blood to keep you cool and remove lactic acid. 

2014-12-18 8:13 AM
in reply to: wolff840

Im not sure if everybody saw that the sign up for next year starts today!
2014-12-18 1:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by wolff840 Im not sure if everybody saw that the sign up for next year starts today!

Got an email on that, but no hurry.  It ain't selling out (although it does go up a bit 12/28 and then a bigger jump 1/15....)

Edited by ChrisM 2014-12-18 1:40 PM
2014-12-18 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

I signed for both Silverman and IMAZ for 2015. Should be fun!

2014-12-18 2:20 PM

User image

I signed for both Silverman and IMAZ for 2015. Should be fun!

Nice!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread

Started by g_shotts
Views: 2496 Posts: 2

2010-06-03 10:56 AM trid

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by chile7473
Views: 18512 Posts: 130

2011-08-30 2:24 PM Dultra

Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by trishie
Views: 37764 Posts: 379

2010-04-04 7:40 PM distancegirl

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30709 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.