Sarasota YMCA
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 18s
Overall Rank = 1352/1887
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 44/69
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00AM and got dressed. Had one cup of coffee and two pieces of toast with peanutbutter.

Left for race site about 6:00AM, arriving about 6:20AM (I love local races).

Temperature had been 59F at home, but only 51F at the race site by the bay front. Was only wearing my jacket over my shirt and shorts, but put on my sweat pants and gloves to stay warm until about ten minutes before the start. mostly just walked around to stay loose, Made a visit to the porta-john with about 30 minutes to go.
Event warmup:

Did some easy jogging to get the joints loose and then some accelerations once I started to get warm.
Run
  • 47m 18s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at steady pace, try to keep short stride & high cadence. Pretty much running in the pack for the first 3/4 mile. Pack started to thin out making the turn from 41 onto Ringling Blvd. Felt good going over bridge the first time. Didn't take any water at turnaround on far side. Coming back over the bridge was the toughest part, into 15 mph wind.
Started to feel both calves/Achilles getting tight, so walked an extra minute during a scheduled walk break as I was approaching the summit. Started to drive pace again coming back down and until the finish. No walk breaks after making the turn from Ringling Blvd back onto 41. Drove it home after the last turn off 41 to the finish. Got into a bit of a back & forth with a younger woman to my right. Finally was able to pull ahead for good with 100 yd to go.

Had figured to finish around 47 minutes, so on target with 47:18. Wasn't an all-out effort, but still a PR for for this race.
What would you do differently?:

Race was pretty much as expected based on where I am with my HM training. Losing weight could always help. Still carrying extra 4 pounds from the Holidays.

Still have problems figuring out my race pace versus training pace.

Since this is mostly a prep race for my HM, I was OK with the results, particularly since I didn't hurt anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water at the finish and walked to car to put my jacket & sweat pants back on. Wanted to keep moving around, so walked around expo tents looking for friends. Had a 1/2 bagel, a hot dog and another bottle of water while waiting around for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual suspects: Physique, genetics, lack of speed training, weight, age, overthinking, trying to avoid injury, etc.

Event comments:

First race of 2014. Fifth time I've done this race, and first time in M60-64. PR'd by 1:16, so can't complain. Fun evernt. Good lead up to the Sarasota HM in March which also goes over & back on the Ringling Bridge.

Last updated: 2014-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:18 | 04 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/69
Overall: 1352/1887
Performance: Good
Mile splits: 10:57.42 11:57.32 12:51.31 11:33.37 Stuck to 3:1 r/w except for and additional 1 min walk into the wind just before the summit coming back over the bridge.
Course: Miles #1 from Van Wezel performing arts hall to bridge; #2 -#3 over bridge;& back; mile #4 back to Van Wezel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-01-21 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: Ringling Bridge Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ringling Bridge Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sarasota YMCA Ringling Bridge Run

Started by aussiesheps
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2010-04-18 7:41 PM aussiesheps

Started by RedCorvette
Views: 1876 Posts: 1

2010-01-25 9:46 AM RedCorvette

Started by RedCorvette
Views: 1885 Posts: 1

2009-01-24 9:17 AM RedCorvette

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 2437 Posts: 2

2008-01-27 7:34 PM TriRSquared

Ringling Bridge Run V

Started by TeddieMao
Views: 732 Posts: 1

2008-01-26 10:07 PM TeddieMao
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 24, 2005
This program is an advanced plan to bridge you from a Sprint to an Olympic Distance triathlon with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is 14 hours in week 5.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
comments : 1
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.