General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ketosis day 3, lchf diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-22 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Ketosis day 3, lchf diet
AHHHHHH, seriously, wtf?????? So I started Monday, man that was horrible horrible horrible horrible. And who knew a cappuccino had 8 grams of carbs. Whatever. Managed ketosis on Tuesday morning (which was after killer workouts on Monday and Tuesday Morning, weights and swimming), using the beef broth to curb the headaches which is helping.

Today I get up, feel ok, sort of a headache. Then I do my 60 min swim, 2200 meters, good swim, I could literally taste metal in my mouth on my interval sets, is that normal. I mean I have the metallic taste all the time, more or less, but on the high intensity bits I felt like friggin iron man breath. So After the workout i am dead, no banana, no sandwhich, just eggs and cheese and butter. I down that in like 10 minutes, I tried to make it last but couldn't. Then I get to work, and it is only 9 a.m. and I need need need something so coffee with cream and coconut oil. Bam. By 9 a.m. I have had 1200 calories. (goal is 2200)

I am like, what am I going to do. But miraculously I feel better. And I feel good good good good good, have a coffee with coffee cream at 11 feel good good then bam, 12:30 I am starving, I wolf down three mini pepperoni sticks and handfulls of greens, ok, better, then it is 2 and my head is spinning and I feel weak. Got the beef broth now and another pepperoni stick, feeling better......

I guess the good bit is I am not hungry,

I am really considering at least having a glass of milk in the morning before my swim, just something to take the edge off, and see what that does to ketosis.

Advise or encouragement is welcome. Criticism as well, but be mindful of my current condition. Which is capital M Moody.

2014-01-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Milwaukee
Subject: RE: Ketosis day 3, lchf diet
I'm not sure what plan you're following from your post.

The metallic taste is definitely from ketones in your system.

The other symptoms you are having has been called "Keto-flu" and extremely normal in the first week.

http://ketogeniclifestyle.com/keto-flu-symptoms-mitigation-and-gett...
2014-01-23 10:53 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Is the "LCHF" diet typically calorie-restricted, or is that a restriction you put on yourself?
Most of the "high fat" diet stuff I see advises not to worry about calories, but focus on the carb aspect.

2014-01-23 3:32 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey,

Thanks. So yeah, I am just following your standard keto diet. Less than 40 grams carbs, 150 grams protien, the rest fat.

First diet in my life so I did figure out that I should be taking in way more than 2200 calories. My maintenance level is 3200, with my workouts I am 3600-3900, so, yeah, no wonder I was in a crumby mood.

Also upped my protein level. Was on about 100 grams for Monday and Tuesday. Seems there is no consensus on how much protein you should have although one guy said at least 150 grams, so bang.

Anyways, I feel tons better today even though my carbs are still way low.
2014-01-23 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Keep in mind that it may take up to 3 weeks before your body switches fully to fat burning, You might feel some weakening and lower performance during those weeks. You'll know you're in fat burning mode when you start having more energy than you can spend.
2014-02-09 11:45 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Four days on low carb, slightly higher fat and high protein. Definitely feeling weaker, napping a lot. Did lose 3#'s in 4 days.

Lisa, have been seeing you on paleo for a while now. You don't look like you need to lose weight, so is it the higher fat that keeps you in maintenance? Do you eat fruit?

Glad to hear that my energy will come back. Am 35# overweight, a lot considering I'm all of 5'1". Hope to drop 20 by March 1 when I'd like to start my sprint training plan.

Mitzi

2014-02-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Four days on low carb, slightly higher fat and high protein. Definitely feeling weaker, napping a lot. Did lose 3#'s in 4 days.

Lisa, have been seeing you on paleo for a while now. You don't look like you need to lose weight, so is it the higher fat that keeps you in maintenance? Do you eat fruit?

Glad to hear that my energy will come back. Am 35# overweight, a lot considering I'm all of 5'1". Hope to drop 20 by March 1 when I'd like to start my sprint training plan.

Mitzi

Drink chicken broth and put coconut oil in your tea or coffee. Make sure you have enough sodium. Really, the coconut oil and chicken broth are key, or were for me.

Also, those 3 pounds are all water.

There is a difference between low carb and no carb. If you are still eating fruit or getting more than, say 40 carbs a day, your body may not switch over to ketosis. And I think, your body gets stuck in an endless starvation mode where you will always be thinking of cake.

I think there is a different diet for everyone. If you are feeling really bad and you want to go for it then cut out all carbs except for a small amount of lettuces. You got to ride out the pain. The chicken broth is for sodium. The coconut oil, I have heard it is like high octane fat for your body. Your body loves it and eating it will help switch you to ketosis.

Also, I hate to poo poo on anyone, but 20 pounds in 20 days is not cool.

2014-02-11 12:58 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Sorry just saw this.
I am not paleo as I eat dairy, but I lost 15lb (over 6 months) doing low carb recently.
I did not eat fruit doing low carb, but will be introducing it back in soon. 

2014-02-12 8:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hey Darren,

Don't worry about boo-booing on me, say what you've got to say, appreciate any input.

Guess you're right about the unrealistic goals. Always say I'll do what I can do and body will do with it will do. Water weight does make sense.

I'm going to now - have an no fruit, grain, rice, sugar - only small amounts of carbs in high protein bars (usually about 3-5 grams of carbs, 2-8g fat with 21-25 grams protein), broccoli, lettuce with cucumbers, red peppers, celery. That's it. To get cals up to 1000-1100, so I wouldn't be ridiculously hungry have been adding 1/2 tsp of coconut oil to morning shakes. Have lost taste buds so I put a ton of salt on my food - actually worried about water weight so have been using horseradish to avoid ketchup and steak sauce.

Getting about 40g of fat, 40g of carbs before I minus out 17-20g of fiber and 130-145g protein. I've been really been good and hunger and cravings gone.

Been walking and lifting and yesterday I walked/jogged (have done nothing all winter so starting easy) for 30 and then ate nothing for an hour so as not to replenish my glycogen reserves.

This morning was my first weeks weigh in - the same 159 I was three days ago. Ketone strips are negative.
Chalking it up to being menopausal and assuming that if I keep it up my body will have to respond, but feeling very discouraged to say the least.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2014-02-12 8:13 AM
2014-02-12 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Re-read the thread - you say lchf not lchp - assuming you are going high protein.

Lisa - how does it work to eat lots of fat? Doesn't that just get in the way of your body burning it's own fat reserves?
2014-02-12 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Hey Darren,

Don't worry about boo-booing on me, say what you've got to say, appreciate any input.

Guess you're right about the unrealistic goals. Always say I'll do what I can do and body will do with it will do. Water weight does make sense.

I'm going to now - have an no fruit, grain, rice, sugar - only small amounts of carbs in high protein bars (usually about 3-5 grams of carbs, 2-8g fat with 21-25 grams protein), broccoli, lettuce with cucumbers, red peppers, celery. That's it. To get cals up to 1000-1100, so I wouldn't be ridiculously hungry have been adding 1/2 tsp of coconut oil to morning shakes. Have lost taste buds so I put a ton of salt on my food - actually worried about water weight so have been using horseradish to avoid ketchup and steak sauce.

Getting about 40g of fat, 40g of carbs before I minus out 17-20g of fiber and 130-145g protein. I've been really been good and hunger and cravings gone.

Been walking and lifting and yesterday I walked/jogged (have done nothing all winter so starting easy) for 30 and then ate nothing for an hour so as not to replenish my glycogen reserves.

This morning was my first weeks weigh in - the same 159 I was three days ago. Ketone strips are negative.
Chalking it up to being menopausal and assuming that if I keep it up my body will have to respond, but feeling very discouraged to say the least.

Mitzi

I am not high protein. From what I understand a high protein diet inhibits ketosis. Body converts protein to gylcogen and you never have to switch over to ketosis. My goals are less than 50 grams of carbs 150-180 grams of protein and as much fat as I find palatable, which is usually around 160 grams. I am lifting heavy and doing quite a bit of swimming too so I can cheat a bit on carbs and protein. Intake is about 2300-2500 calories a day during the week. I don't really track on the weekends but I would guess closer to 3000-3500.

I am not sure how important the keto strips are. If you stopped feeling like bum and the foggy feeling in your brain has left you may be in ketosis. Blood meters are an option that I am exploring but the strips are like 2 bucks each or something.

Also, I think, you want to keep your sodium high. Low carb flushes sodium out of you and you risk dehydration. Drink as much water as you can. Add salt to everything. At least that is what I hear.

If you haven't been here go

http://eatingacademy.com/ This guy has a diet that is spot on.

Anyways, I am not really doing this to lose weight, although that seems to be a bit of a side effect, so much as break my carb addiction. But good luck.

2014-02-12 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Re-read the thread - you say lchf not lchp - assuming you are going high protein.

Lisa - how does it work to eat lots of fat? Doesn't that just get in the way of your body burning it's own fat reserves?

That's a great question. Basically you are trying to get your body to produce ketones. You will only do that if you have limited protein and carbs. So limited that your body would go into starvation if that is all you ate. You can't have your body in starvation mode which is why you top up your caloric requirement with fat. Once you are producing ketones and your body figures out how to use them, which can take a while, you are fat burning machine. I understand a key component is getting your brain to run off ketones because your brain burns tons of calories.

Also, the benefit of having your macros set out like that is that you just won't over eat. You can't. Unless you sucking on coconut oil you just won't be able to take it. Your stomach will be more or less empty but you just won't be hungry.

Go to the eating academy, he has all the science there.

FWIW I am on week four of this adventure. It is mad.

Oh also, for your training, keep in mind that intense physical exercise gets very difficult without sugars. You can go slow all day, but if you are planning some intervals or crushing some hills you need to supplement with carbs. I aim for staying in ketosis during the week but I do eat carbs on the weekend to restore my carb stores for my lifting.

Sorry for babbling on, I am just finding this whole experience fascinating.
2014-02-13 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
My thing is that I want to burn the 20# of fat I have on my body. I don't want to fuel my body with fat to burn any more than I want to fuel my body with carbs to burn.
2014-02-13 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

My thing is that I want to burn the 20# of fat I have on my body. I don't want to fuel my body with fat to burn any more than I want to fuel my body with carbs to burn.

Bit new to this part of the forum but I won't prevent from that making me an expert

Your statement betrays a fundamental misunderstanding about how the body creates energy. A calorie restrictive ketogenic diet is a fat destroyer. Your fat won't know what hit it.

A couple tidbits. Once you go into ketosysis your liver is producing ketones that, if you don't use, are processed by your kidneys, get this, you pee them out. You literally are peeing out fat. Ditto with your breath, you will be breathing out fat. Also, ketosysis is inefficient. It costs more to produce energy using ketones than glycogen, put that in your fat pipe and smoke it.

Also, and if you go to the eating academy you will see this, going into ketosysis and training in ketosysis, at a low intensity, will result in a very great increase in the amount of calories you will burn from fat. So instead of burning mostly sugar and a bit of fat on your long run, you will burn all the fat. All of it. And unlike sugar, you won't need to replace the fat you burned in order to train long again.

Remember, I have been at this for three weeks so I know just about everything the internet has to say.
2014-02-14 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

If you can get your hand on the books by Gary Taubes, he uses a wallet analogy to describe what happens when your body is in fat burning mode. The conclusion of his analogy, is that if your insulin levels are very low, your resistance to insulin will be very low and you'll have access to your fat stores. You will not be physically hungry when you decrease your calories, as your body will be using your stored fat. The body does not care if it gets the calories from outside or inside, the problem is carbs raise insulin and insulin blocks access to your fat storage. It takes 3-4 weeks of low carbs to turn your system to fat burning mode.

After those 3-4 weeks, I was living on 1500 calories a day while training 90 minutes per day, and I was not hungry. I went from 275 to 178 in 7 months.
2014-02-15 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for all the info! I need to learn how to burn fat as I'm sure I have lots of reserve energy!

Lisa I remember you from the WheatBelly thread and I'm still trying to cut the gluten; its everywhere!

The eating academy? Is there a website or is this a book?

2014-02-15 9:41 PM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Originally posted by 1_Mad_Madone

Thanks for all the info! I need to learn how to burn fat as I'm sure I have lots of reserve energy!

Lisa I remember you from the WheatBelly thread and I'm still trying to cut the gluten; its everywhere!

The eating academy? Is there a website or is this a book?

A site,

http://eatingacademy.com/

Peter Attia created that site.
2014-02-18 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by outlandluc

Keep in mind that it may take up to 3 weeks before your body switches fully to fat burning, You might feel some weakening and lower performance during those weeks. You'll know you're in fat burning mode when you start having more energy than you can spend.

So I am day 30. I am doing the cyclical keto diet, because of the heavy lifting. Anyways, for the first three weeks no problem, make it through mon-Friday, lifting three times and swimming three times. Last week I started swimming 5 days. I tell you, by Friday afternoon I thought I was dead. I was starving. That morning I had a hard hard hard workout. Super hard. Harder than I ever really lifted on a Friday and harder than I thought possible since I believed I was empty of carbs.

I had my normal breakfast and coffee with cream, but I was starving. Wolfed down 600 calories worth of pepperoni sticks, which are kind of my go to snack. But man, felt worse and worse and worse and worse. Head ache, flu like symptoms. Hadn't been sleeping much so I decided to have a nap, but that didn't help. Finally, I was like, cookie time baby. Had a cookie, felt better, had another, felt better, had some fruit and other food stuffs. Yum.

Anyways, thoughts? I had thought I was somewhat keto adapted in that i managed to go Mon-Fri with no carbs except lettuces and the odd spoonful of viggies. But this Friday experience. Not sure. Think I am going to try to go until March 2 with no carbs. Break through that wall if it comes.
2014-02-18 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Originally posted by BigDH

So I am day 30. I am doing the cyclical keto diet, because of the heavy lifting. Anyways, for the first three weeks no problem, make it through mon-Friday, lifting three times and swimming three times. Last week I started swimming 5 days. I tell you, by Friday afternoon I thought I was dead. I was starving. That morning I had a hard hard hard workout. Super hard. Harder than I ever really lifted on a Friday and harder than I thought possible since I believed I was empty of carbs.

I had my normal breakfast and coffee with cream, but I was starving. Wolfed down 600 calories worth of pepperoni sticks, which are kind of my go to snack. But man, felt worse and worse and worse and worse. Head ache, flu like symptoms. Hadn't been sleeping much so I decided to have a nap, but that didn't help. Finally, I was like, cookie time baby. Had a cookie, felt better, had another, felt better, had some fruit and other food stuffs. Yum.

Anyways, thoughts? I had thought I was somewhat keto adapted in that i managed to go Mon-Fri with no carbs except lettuces and the odd spoonful of viggies. But this Friday experience. Not sure. Think I am going to try to go until March 2 with no carbs. Break through that wall if it comes.

As I mentioned before, I am not a "Ketosis Guru". What i have discovered is from personal experience and reading. My understanding of your experience, is that it happened after a very, very hard weight training Work out.

From everything I have experience and heard, you created Glycogen depletion of your muscles. Proteins will eventually refill your Glycogen, but it is a very slow process. You were so empty, that your body was requesting a quick solution, making you crave the food with quickest results for absorbing glycogen - Carbs, and it worked.

Peter Attia, from all his experiments has concluded that for long endurance activities, burning fat is the best way to go, as it pushes further the barrier were your body starts burning you stored glycogen.

But he has made it cleared that if you plan on running the 100 meter sprint, carbs are the way to go. They will replenish your glycogen much faster. If you plan on doing the kind of trainings that quickly empty your glycogen stores, you will have to rethink your nutrition.

Attia once again mentioned, that he has learned to eat certain high quantities of carbs after specific trainings. The ones which empty the stored glycogen. As he explained, he was able to stay in Ketosis by timing it right and having just enough carbs to replenish the muscles and liver.

Edited by outlandluc 2014-02-18 3:01 PM
2014-02-18 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

As I mentioned before, I am not a "Ketosis Guru". What i have discovered is from personal experience and reading. My understanding of your experience, is that it happened after a very, very hard weight training Work out.

From everything I have experience and heard, you created Glycogen depletion of your muscles. Proteins will eventually refill your Glycogen, but it is a very slow process. You were so empty, that your body was requesting a quick solution, making you crave the food with quickest results for absorbing glycogen - Carbs, and it worked.

Peter Attia, from all his experiments has concluded that for long endurance activities, burning fat is the best way to go, as it pushes further the barrier were your body starts burning you stored glycogen.

But he has made it cleared that if you plan on running the 100 meter sprint, carbs are the way to go. They will replenish your glycogen much faster. If you plan on doing the kind of trainings that quickly empty your glycogen stores, you will have to rethink your nutrition.

Attia once again mentioned, that he has learned to eat certain high quantities of carbs after specific trainings. The ones which empty the stored glycogen. As he explained, he was able to stay in Ketosis by timing it right and having just enough carbs to replenish the muscles and liver.

Thanks. From my review of the interwebs I think Attia is the closest thing to an expert, at least when it comes to endurance sports. I am rethinking things, there does not seem to be any solid info about strength training and ketosis. I guess there is ketogains in reddit. I may look them over again.

I think I am going to try to push it the next two weeks and just see what happens.
2014-02-18 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Thanks. From my review of the interwebs I think Attia is the closest thing to an expert, at least when it comes to endurance sports. I am rethinking things, there does not seem to be any solid info about strength training and ketosis. I guess there is ketogains in reddit. I may look them over again.

I think I am going to try to push it the next two weeks and just see what happens.

As Attia keeps saying. Experience it for yourself and you'll see :-)

Keep us informed, I'm very curious.

2014-02-19 7:40 AM

Jumping on the bandwagon here. Day 3. -6lbs, been hydrating like crazy, so not sure how much of that, if any, is water.
2014-02-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all,

Checked out the Academy site - very interesting, but I am just not ready to go the HF route. Thanks for sharing all the resources.

For the past week I've been at 1000 cal. and approx. 55%P, 30 F, and 15%C. I just can't wrap my head around higher cal. for weight loss when I have 25 lbs of fat on me I want to burn.

Not training, only lifting as heard that with cardio your body will turn to protein for fuel, I know unless you eat fat...

Strips show trace ketones and down a whopping .5 lbs.

Am going for small amounts of nuts if I get real hungry.
Will give it another week and reevaluate.

Mitzi
2014-02-23 11:59 AM

Day 6, -10.6.
2014-02-24 6:03 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Just reread posts, - appreciate all the posts and sharing

I'm keeping it at 25g or less of carbs, and upping the fat a bit to 30%, still mostly protein. Even at 1000/day no weight loss in more than a week. I will hang in there waiting to hit it big with those ketone strips turning color. So far I'm at trace levels.

I'm hanging in there as I have never been able to stick to a 1000 cal/day diet before when I ate more carbs. Plus I know that my body is out of whack and my hugh fat belly tells me I'm insulin resistant.

Trying to even keep the veggies low, supplementing with green capsules.

When I do a little exercise I have a hard time not eating more.
Was hoping to start training March 1, but I know that weight loss will do more for me than another month of hailing my fat a$$ around. So plan is to lose what I can and start training April 1.

This is going to be my year - have survived sprints, this year it will be a respectable sprint and at least surviving an oly!

Mitzi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ketosis day 3, lchf diet Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Opinions on 17 day diet

Started by Cayenne
Views: 2832 Posts: 3

2011-01-06 6:56 PM jaegee

Training day eating vs Non-Training day

Started by Rencor
Views: 1162 Posts: 4

2006-03-31 11:10 AM coachese

The North Beach Diet

Started by Gatsby
Views: 1371 Posts: 1

2005-01-17 4:17 PM Gatsby

Off Season Diet

Started by daveskar
Views: 1136 Posts: 8

2004-11-29 2:20 AM Katie

Omega/Mediterranean diet?

Started by DulcimerDoc
Views: 924 Posts: 2

2004-09-15 11:49 AM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on carbohydrate loading leading up to triathlon race day.