General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice for a race in freezing weather conditions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: RE: Need advice for a race in freezing weather conditions
Originally posted by davidfedez

I have a HIM with an OWS this coming weekend and I am very concerned about the weather conditions we will be facing.

The race is in Key West, FL and it is supposed to be in the low 60s. I know this may not seem extreme for most of you that live up north (specially these days), but for me, it looks very very cold.

I am looking for advice to stay warm during the race (swim and bike legs more than anything). I only have a wetsuit and arm warmers to fight cold weather. Is there anything else I should have/bring or can I do to stay warm?? Thanks!!

If you end up finding a long sleeve jersey or full length bibs, be aware that in cold weather, wicking material not-withstanding, your sweat will not just cool you down it will make you cold. So don't over do and put on layers - in that temp range I use a single layer - thicker if necessary but so that any moisture evaporates quickly. This is especially true of races of 2hrs plus, where your body is running out of sugars on a constant basis.

2014-01-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

While I too think that 60 is warm, I will also put in my vote for just a cycling jacket.  It's easy to put on and take off. 

The water will feel warm since it's warmer than the air.   If you can get in and stay in while waiting, I would do that (assuming it's not super long).  I have made the mistake of not warming up in the water on a cold race day and regretting it.  The water can be comfortable!

While 60 may feel cold to you (again, hard to imagine...) you don't need gloves or anything other than the jacket.  I really believe.

Gotta go now and head out into the polar vortex now.  Cheers!

2014-01-23 8:09 PM
in reply to: topolina

Originally posted by topolina

I live in Key West and raced a half marathon that weekend. Did this Bone Island Tri last year when it was much warmer but also a LOT windier. So, there is a trade off. Right now, as of this moment, the water temp is 66.9, which is just about as cold as I have ever seen it in KW (been here 14 years). So, for me, the water would be the biggest issue, even with a wet suit. The air temp on Saturday should be low 60 to highs of 67. Once you get going, I don't think this will effect you negatively. In fact, as someone said, it might be PR time, as that is almost ideal for a race. I think you will be warm coming out of the water and won't take but a quarter mile or so to warm up on the bike.

BTW I'll be volunteering that the finish line. Have a great race and see you there!!!!

A 65 degree water temp is perfect for a wet suit. Anything warmer and it gets hot by the end.
2014-01-23 8:36 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Miami
Originally posted by topolina

I live in Key West and raced a half marathon that weekend. Did this Bone Island Tri last year when it was much warmer but also a LOT windier. So, there is a trade off. Right now, as of this moment, the water temp is 66.9, which is just about as cold as I have ever seen it in KW (been here 14 years). So, for me, the water would be the biggest issue, even with a wet suit. The air temp on Saturday should be low 60 to highs of 67. Once you get going, I don't think this will effect you negatively. In fact, as someone said, it might be PR time, as that is almost ideal for a race. I think you will be warm coming out of the water and won't take but a quarter mile or so to warm up on the bike.

BTW I'll be volunteering that the finish line. Have a great race and see you there!!!!

Thank you for the local report and looking forward to seeing you at the finish line!
2014-01-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

You need to toughen up a little bit sunshine! 60F (15C?) might be coldish standing around outside, but doing a triathlon you will soon warm up! If you find yourself struggling because of the "cold" during the race, just bitchslap yourself until you snap out of it. Good luck.
2014-01-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

The urge to make some bitter, caustic remark is almost overwhelming. The highest temperature has been below - 20 C (- 5 F) here for four days and then I see a comment about "freezing" temperatures in the low 60's.

It's a matter of personal comfort zone. I really get warmed up biking and running so I would probably only wear a short or long sleeved biking shirt.

Edited by b2run 2014-01-23 8:56 PM

2014-01-23 10:03 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not going to mock you! Yeah it's miserably cold here. But that is chilly for Key West.
I'm not particularly sensitive to cold, and I'm sure I'm much more acclimated to it than you are, but if I were going out cycling and the high was going to be low 60s, I would be wearing knickers and considering a long-sleeve base layer under my cycling jersey. (Running is a different story of course- shorts and a T would be fine unless you're very sensitive, but again, that would be if you were just running.) .
You have had lots of good suggestions. I have done a few tris in the NE summer, when I'm used to training in 70s/ 80s/ 90s and humidity and on tri day it's in the 60s. In both I put on a long-sleeve tech t in T1 and wasn't uncomfortably warm. It was drizzly though which made a big difference, and I had a long run from the swim to T1 so I dried off and the tee went on easier. It's also good advice to think about how much you value comfort vs. transition time. For me comfort won. .
2014-01-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: chayes

New user
Key West
Good news is that the forecast bumped up the temps a couple of degrees. It will be a beautiful sunny day and winds don't look like they will be much more than 10-15 mph, which is tame compared to last year's 20-25.

For all of those who think we are whimps down here in the Keys, I agree and I embrace that. There is a reason I live here and not the frozen tundra. You do acclimate to your environment and although we have lost our acclimation to cold weather, we are tough as nails in hot humid weather. So, when the frozen tundra folks are whining about how hot and muggy it is in the summer for their races, we will be ready and acclimated to that condition.

The whacky thing is that they are moving the date for the Bone Island Tri next year to July. I have to admit, that will be a true test of toughness based on our temps and humidity at that time of year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice for a race in freezing weather conditions Rss Feed  

of 2