General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill pace and distance vs outdoors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-24 1:20 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Subject: RE: Treadmill pace and distance vs outdoors

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by bcagle25 Treadmills are never really accurate

I find it funny that many people believe this, yet put their full faith in GPS and/or footpods.  I agree that the treadmill may not be 'really accurate', but a decent treadmill is going to be MUCH more accurate than either of the other two in most cases.

I disagree. I've run on a LOT of treadmills over 2 decades, in numerous gyms, from high-end to low-end. I definitely would not say treadmills are the gold standard. 

If you run on the SAME treadmill (like one you own), it will be extremely precise, meaning reproducible. But even that TM will not exactly match your pace/effort compared to workouts on a track. Even a 10sec/mile difference can make or break when doing stuff like VO2max intervals at that pace.

Furthermore, just go to different gyms and run on a variety of TMs. YOu will find HUGE pace discrepancies, even if the TMs are precise. Even with top-rated bransd. I have never heard of a commercial gym advertising that they regularly recalibrate their TMs for pace  despite the heavy use.

2014-01-24 9:58 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I find it funny that many people believe this, yet put their full faith in GPS and/or footpods.  I agree that the treadmill may not be 'really accurate', but a decent treadmill is going to be MUCH more accurate than either of the other two in most cases.

So then why I am constantly recalibrating treadmills each month when working at the gym? And why is my GPS accurate when on a wheel measured course?
2014-01-25 1:55 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by bcagle25

So then why I am constantly recalibrating treadmills each month when working at the gym? And why is my GPS accurate when on a wheel measured course?

Good job. You are doing good work.
On the other hand, if a TM needs re-calibration every month...you can see how that is a problem in itself and the source of the complaint.
2014-01-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by dfroelich

Good job. You are doing good work.
On the other hand, if a TM needs re-calibration every month...you can see how that is a problem in itself and the source of the complaint.

Exactly, but you also have to look at how much use that treadmill is getting. If you have your own personal treadmill you should be fine. The treadmill we use at the human performance lab works well, but then when I work at the gym, those treadmills go off much quicker, especially the ones right in front of the TV's.

GPS is also dependent on the course. A course that is flat, exposed, and has few turns will be far more accurate then one with rolling hills, through the woods with lots of turns.
2014-01-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Regular

Treadmills are never really accurate, but if you want use the same treadmill every time so you have accuracy within your own runs.

This is what I do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill pace and distance vs outdoors Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running (outdoors vs. treadmill) question

Started by bscoles1
Views: 1062 Posts: 7

2011-04-13 3:56 PM n.k

Treadmill vs. Outdoors

Started by DJS
Views: 1493 Posts: 23

2009-11-09 3:59 PM trinewby

5K pace vs 10K pace vs HM pace Pages: 1 2

Started by maria40nc
Views: 7086 Posts: 29

2009-09-17 2:42 PM johnnyrockit

Treadmill pace vs. Outside Pace Pages: 1 2

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 6201 Posts: 44

2014-01-28 6:12 PM jennifer_runs

Treadmill vs outdoors...

Started by La Rakusillian
Views: 1343 Posts: 18

2004-10-01 11:43 AM RunningIsFun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : March 5, 2006
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 30, 2005
Off season training, nutrition, faster run, strength training, treadmill and more.
date : May 3, 2005
author : smeeko
Have you ever wondered about the benefits and drawbacks of treadmill running?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle