General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting Up Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-23 5:24 PM

Mono, Ontario
Subject: Starting Up
Hi Everyone, I'm a 54 year old guy in Hockley Valley, Ontario with an objective - an ironman in 2015. I've run since I was a teenager, with only a couple of serious lapses. The last started 2 years ago, and it was only in the Fall of last year I kicked myself in the butt (head?) and told myself to buck up. Over my running career I've done two marathons and two triathlons. All of them on a whim to prove to myself I could do it, without training seriously. Boy did I pay, but the mind was willing so I only had one DNF.

The ironman is a serious life objective though. And, as part of taking it much more seriously, so is my recovery from the last running lapse. By the end of last year I was comfortably able to run a 10k in under 60 minutes, and would have set 50 minutes as the next target. My Mum's Christmas present to me was a heart rate monitor, and I've been dutifully trying to stick to it. (Yes, my 76 year old mother still thinks I need presents - don't shake your head in disgust.)

But heart rate training is really challenging. Reading Phil Maffetone I'm working to keep my pulse below 126. And I'm stuck there it seems. On the treadmill that's just about a 4 mph walking pace with a 4-5 degree incline. There's only slight perspiration, and talking is no problem. Actually, I'm getting bored of singing while walking. After an hour, it doesn't feel like a workout; I could do it all over again. It's the same on the bike, my cadence is sitting at a very none stressful 70 chainwheel revs per minute.

The heart rate and pace are just at two uncomfortable hurdles. The first is that 4 mph is about the limit of my walking speed. Above that and I'm into a sloppy jog, that does get rhythmic until I hit 4.9 mph. The second is that if I do make that jogging transition regardless of the incline being dropped to 0, my heart rate jumps to about 140.

I'm concerned that I'll either progress very well into the ranks of walkers and Sunday cyclists, or that I'm missing something. Either that, or I'll get so distracted singing on the treadmill I'll misplace a stride and be sent flying through the window. Any ideas would be more than welcome?

2014-01-24 11:30 AM
in reply to: craigwilson6471

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Starting Up

Hi Craig! Welcome to BT and a new level of training.

This is really required reading for heart rate training:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&page=1#

Also, as far as run training goes, I would really recommend looking into the BarryP 3-2-1 program.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485

Good luck!

2014-01-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Mono, Ontario
Subject: RE: Starting Up
Great insight, thank you. I'm on business in Montreal for a few days. I'll post the findings from the LT test late next week.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting Up Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

just getting started

Started by souldigger
Views: 1150 Posts: 3

2003-10-22 8:53 AM Ron

Where do I start?!

Started by Laura
Views: 1323 Posts: 9

2003-10-25 7:08 AM dennis

Very excited to start

Started by Jenny
Views: 1357 Posts: 5

2003-09-29 9:37 AM STREM

Just starting

Started by STREM
Views: 1289 Posts: 4

2003-09-26 7:34 PM Michael

Just starting

Started by Lee
Views: 1365 Posts: 6

2003-09-26 12:45 PM 45tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : June 21, 2006
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.