General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot tattoo and run/bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-23 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: foot tattoo and run/bike
I'm planning to get a tattoo on the outside of each of my heels, going up over my ankle bones. This is not my first tattoo, but I don't really remember the healing process from the last one -- I was only swimming at that point (college swimming) and I think I had to take a week out of the pool.

I understand needing to be out of the pool (which, let's be honest, I don't swim much anyway now) and that's no issue, but I really don't feel like I can take a week or more off of biking and running. Anyone have a foot or ankle tattoo, and if so, did you have to take time off for healing?

2014-01-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Subject: RE: foot tattoo and run/bike
I just had a tattoo on my calf touched up and training was fine, avoid having it covered up, you don't want sweaty socks sitting on it and when you are done your work out wash with unscented soap pat dry with a clean towel and apply ointment/lubiderm

Depending how detailed and how much line work the tattoo has it might be pretty hamburgery so I few days off may be needed.

As always play it by ear if your leg hurts take it easy.

And follow the tattoo artists after-care instructions.

Basically you want to keep it clean, dry, and moisturized, and not apply and direct pressure or rubbing of the tattoo.

(IMG_0555[1].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0555[1].JPG (2672KB - 9 downloads)
2014-01-24 12:36 AM
in reply to: ktoolz

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I have had 2 sets of foot tattoos done in addition to lots of others on the rest of my body, two small Mario symbols on the outside part of each heel and two sets of text along the inside of my foot from front to back. Both time my healing regimen was the same and is basically the same regardless of the spot I get the work done in.

My general healing regimen, Aquaphor and bandaged with a nonstick bandage anytime something is touching the piece and otherwise just coated with the Aquaphor. After a week or so I switch to Vitamin A&D as the Aquaphor eventually makes my skin break out. I basically take a "wet" healing approach where I keep my pieces pretty coated and covered until I at least get to the peeling stage (which took super long on all of my feet pieces).

I ran and biked the day after both of my feet sessions and actually ran a marathon the weekend after one of the sessions. I did have some color pull out of one piece but it was more because of the type of skin we put the piece on and not on the healing process.
2014-01-24 3:33 AM

User image

Hereford, England
I've just had one up my side on Wednesday. Leaving swimming for 7-10 days I think, managed to do a bit on my wife's stepper yesterday as I didn't need to wear much, especially lycra . Hopefully going for a bike ride tonight though.

I wouldn't do much especially if it's going to rub on it.

(1235452_402437616559261_1156453752_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1235452_402437616559261_1156453752_n.jpg (58KB - 12 downloads)
2014-01-24 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

I have one on the top, side of my foot, if that makes any sense.  Got it done in college in the middle of track season.  I kept mine fully lubed with saran wrap over it for i think the first 2 weeks anytime i had a shoe or sock on (during practice especially).  Then flip flops and lubed when not needing to be in running shoes.  I've had mine 13 years now, still looks great.

2017-03-09 3:28 PM

My tat on the ankle is a cross like this http://inkprofy.com/ankle-tattoos-ideas/.The tattoo is not small, so I was healed somewhere in a month

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot tattoo and run/bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Question: Help With Left foot striking ground and digging in against run

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 680 Posts: 3

2012-03-19 8:49 AM Experior

Bike to run foot pain....

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 552 Posts: 2

2011-04-21 5:41 PM FoggyGoggles

Foot Injury - How do I keep up my running cardio without really running

Started by jcoop_00
Views: 1439 Posts: 7

2010-06-09 12:17 PM jgerbodegrant

Run-Bike or Bike-Run ?

Started by MaverickNH
Views: 1572 Posts: 8

2010-02-21 8:48 AM AndrewMT

Run more = run faster, bike more = bike faster?

Started by trey800hj
Views: 2596 Posts: 10

2009-02-23 9:04 PM newbz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.
date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.