General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from frigid upstate NY! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-25 5:56 AM

User image

Subject: Hello from frigid upstate NY!
Hi there! I'm new and very excited to be part of this community! I have been running for 9 years now, after I got on the scale on Thanksgiving 2005 and was horrified at what I saw (I know, who gets on the scale on Thanksgiving?! I guess I needed to hit rock-bottom...)
I've done a few half-marathons and realized I don't actually hate swimming and maybe I could complete a triathlon.
I will attempt a Sprint tri on June 9. I am most worried about biking for some reason. I just can't seem to spin my legs fast.
Anyway, enough out of me! Glad to be a part of beginnertriathlete.com!

2014-01-25 6:34 AM
in reply to: lserbalik

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Hello from frigid upstate NY!

Originally posted by lserbalik Hi there! I'm new and very excited to be part of this community! I have been running for 9 years now, after I got on the scale on Thanksgiving 2005 and was horrified at what I saw (I know, who gets on the scale on Thanksgiving?! I guess I needed to hit rock-bottom...) I've done a few half-marathons and realized I don't actually hate swimming and maybe I could complete a triathlon. I will attempt a Sprint tri on June 9. I am most worried about biking for some reason. I just can't seem to spin my legs fast. Anyway, enough out of me! Glad to be a part of beginnertriathlete.com!

Welcome to BT!  It's awesome that you are already a runner; that will help.  Not hating swimming helps too!  As for the bike, you don't need to worry about being fast at your first race so long as you can make it up any hills you may encounter; so know the course ahead of time. 

With it being winter, I assume there is not much road biking on tap for now (me either).  I find that going to spin classes at the local healthplex helps a lot with building strength in the legs.  We do a lot of standing, then sitting, and changing the gears from easy to hard.  I notice when I am out on the road climbing a hill, my brain goes to spin class and remembers all the standing hills we did in class.

Have fun!

2014-01-25 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Welcome!

Where in NY are you?
2014-01-26 4:39 PM
in reply to: cornick

Mono, Ontario
Heh, We can if you like trade battle scar stories from frigid training. I could have sworn today, that my eyelids froze! Cheers
2014-01-29 7:23 AM

User image

Saratoga Springs, born and raised
2014-01-29 7:24 AM
in reply to: craigwilson6471

User image

Yes, definitely booger-freezing weather! The cold is supposed to break soon though. The worst is over I think/ hope!!

2014-01-29 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by lserbalik

Saratoga Springs, born and raised

Make sure you check out www.saratogatriclub.com
2014-01-30 6:09 AM

User image

Yeah I was thinking of joining Saratoga tri! At least for the open water swims
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from frigid upstate NY! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from upstate NY

Started by cmyers72
Views: 636 Posts: 3

2012-05-17 9:36 AM triguy1043

Hello from Upstate NY!

Started by NiceTriCoaching
Views: 915 Posts: 4

2011-03-17 9:37 AM steveseer

Hello from Upstate NY Part 2

Started by jcc
Views: 932 Posts: 6