Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2014 Official Golf Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-26 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: 2014 Official Golf Thread
I know there are a lot of warm weather folks on the board who may get to play year round, but now that the PGA season is really starting up (Yes the last month counts in the FedEx Cup, but not in my heart) I figured this would be a good place to collect thoughts of all things golf. PGA, yourself, trips, complaining about not being able to get rid of your duck hook, whatever.

My buddies and I do a trip every year. Some years we have 8, some years 4, one year we only had 3 because of a last minute drop out. This year we're doing Orlando from March 4th-8th (Tuesday-Saturday). We're staying south/west of the city (and Disney) and will play 18, 36, 36 and 18 for the 4 full days we'll be there. We only have 4 this year so we'll probably do last minute booking with GolfNow just to get some decent deals. When we do 8 people I typically book through an agency so we can get back to back tee times and such. We're staying right where Rt 4 meets 27, right next to Championsgate. I've played half a dozen courses down there before (Deer Island, Ridgewood Lakes, Champsionsgate, Orange Reserve) and I'd like to play Deer Island again, but besides that I'm kind of open to ideas. Right now I'm looking at Falcon's Fire, Mystic Dunes, El Campeon, Sanctuary Ridge, Royal St Cloud and possible Highland Reserve because it's 5 minutes away. None of us are good really. I lead the way, mid summer I can break 80 consistently from the middle tees, but I'm just looking to be mid 80's in March. Other guys all hover 90-100 more or less. I do most of the planning because I enjoy the aspect of it, so pretty much if I have a hunch or review on a course we'll play it.

2014-01-27 7:12 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: 2014 Official Golf Thread
I love golf. Started playing in 2002 when I started my current job for a golf clothes manufacturer (just started in the States this year but we are well known in the UK, keep an eye out for Galvin Green, it's gonna be big, you read it here first. End of plug).

Where was I? Oh yes, started playing 12 years ago but more seriously only 2 years ago. I have played some nice course in Sweden (through my work) but never anywhere else.

We have snow at the moment so no golf here but I am looking forward to the season
2014-01-28 2:20 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Can't wait to start playing. Bought a new Taylor Made driver which is the first time I've had one that's adjustable so can't wait but need to get out of the snow/sub zero weather first! We always do an outing a week in April/May for 4 weeks at work where about 20 of us take off and play nice/fairly reasonable ($100 or less) courses in and around NJ so just started looking for different courses yesterday which got the blood flowing.
2014-01-28 10:50 PM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I love researching the courses. I do all the legwork for the trip. Find the house, book the courses, rental cars, everything. I really enjoying doing it and if it makes it easier for everyone to just hand me the keys then I'm all for it. I end up getting to play places that sound good to me. I can't wait for the warm weather. Orlando in March is going to be heaven compared to this North East crap.
2014-01-29 7:34 AM

User image

Regular
One of my new year's resolutions is to play more golf this year. I am going to join the local club and get new irons. That should force me to play more. We are still a few months away here in Ohio, but I can't wait.
2014-01-29 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by jonD81 I know there are a lot of warm weather folks on the board who may get to play year round, but now that the PGA season is really starting up (Yes the last month counts in the FedEx Cup, but not in my heart) I figured this would be a good place to collect thoughts of all things golf. PGA, yourself, trips, complaining about not being able to get rid of your duck hook, whatever. My buddies and I do a trip every year. Some years we have 8, some years 4, one year we only had 3 because of a last minute drop out. This year we're doing Orlando from March 4th-8th (Tuesday-Saturday). We're staying south/west of the city (and Disney) and will play 18, 36, 36 and 18 for the 4 full days we'll be there. We only have 4 this year so we'll probably do last minute booking with GolfNow just to get some decent deals. When we do 8 people I typically book through an agency so we can get back to back tee times and such. We're staying right where Rt 4 meets 27, right next to Championsgate. I've played half a dozen courses down there before (Deer Island, Ridgewood Lakes, Champsionsgate, Orange Reserve) and I'd like to play Deer Island again, but besides that I'm kind of open to ideas. Right now I'm looking at Falcon's Fire, Mystic Dunes, El Campeon, Sanctuary Ridge, Royal St Cloud and possible Highland Reserve because it's 5 minutes away. None of us are good really. I lead the way, mid summer I can break 80 consistently from the middle tees, but I'm just looking to be mid 80's in March. Other guys all hover 90-100 more or less. I do most of the planning because I enjoy the aspect of it, so pretty much if I have a hunch or review on a course we'll play it.

Can I come along?  I just got back to Milwaukee area after a 5 day trip to Palm Springs, CA.  My wife and I logged 72 holes of golf in absolutely perfect conditions (80's), but unfortunately I am now back in the heart of the Polar vortex.  Seriously though, that will be a great trip for you in March.  The only course I have played on the list is Falcon's Fire and it was certainly a good one in country club shape and a nice, challenging course.

Oh, and speaking of all things golf, I can honestly say I am looking more forward to watching the Waste Management Open this weekend than the Superbowl!

2014-01-29 1:04 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Looking forward to this year.  Spent a lot of time and money last year.  Got my old Ping ISI-K irons reshafted THEN saw a deal of G20's when the G25's came out SO got a complete set!    Took a half dozen lessons and hit the range a lot.

Now I just need to play better and get on the course more!

2014-01-29 6:43 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Sds - Get a few more buddies and meet us down there. I'm psyched to go and the cold weather only fuels my desire to get down there. That's great that your wife plays, at least you have someone to go out with. My son is only 2 1/2 but he absolutely loves the game. Everyone thinks I pressure him into liking it, but he just loves carrying around his plastic clubs and he absolutely crushes the ball. I encourage the hell out of him when he wants to play, but I never push him on it. If you ask him if he likes snow he says "No. I want the snow to go away so I can go golfing with Dad." Looks like I could have a golfing buddy in the making.

Kido, I was looking at the Ping G20s 2 years ago when I bought my new set. I wanted some game improvement irons because everything I read and everyone I talked to said for a mid range HC like myself it's what I should look at. I ended up going with the Mizuno JPX 800 ( I think it's the 825 now?) but I love them. I was actually really into the Pings but the sole was just a bit too heavy for me. I hit every game improvement, mid game improvement and blade in the store and the Mizunos felt the best at the end of the day. I noticed a huge difference off the bat and when I can play consistently the ball comes off really flush.
2014-01-29 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

I'll get to play 3 or 4 times (hopefully) when I'm home for the summer.  I didn't even bring my clubs to Beijing because I knew I wouldn't have much time (or money) to play... and the clubs would just be taking up space in the apartment.

A round of golf goes for about $200 here.  I have a hard time shelling out that kind of cash for a round.  The public course that I learned on sold annual memberships for $300!!  You could golf all day, every day for $300 a year.  15 years ago I was playing 7 days a week.  I would walk 9 or 18 before work and then maybe hit up the course in the afternoon with my dad when he got off work.  Every Saturday morning we teed off at dawn. That was when Indiana was NOT on DST, so the sun came up at 5:30... tee times didn't start until 7:00 so there were only 3 or 4 groups of us on the course and we'd be done by 9:30 EASY. 

I never got "good" but scores were consistently in the lower 90's.  Dipped into the 80's on occasion. 

Dangit, now you got me thinking about golf.

2014-01-29 8:25 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I've read that golf over in Asia is really seen as an elitist game and it's nearly impossible to grow the game to the masses because of how 75% of the people in the country are instantly priced out of the game before they start. I know it's pricey in the states and everywhere else, but I've heard Asia specifically mentioned various times, although they are also building a lot of new courses as well?

When I was growing up (only 20 years ago, I'm 32 now) my membership at the muni near me was $150 for a kids membership (under 18). We used to get dropped off there in the morning, play all day, leave our clubs in a locker there and then repeat the next day. Good way to spend my summers as a kid. I'd caddy some days, play others, it was a great way to get introduced to the game.
2014-01-30 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Now you have me thinking of golfing growing up. For about 5 years me and my cousin would get dropped off everyday in the summer at a CC that my Uncle belonged to and was Club Champ so we could play as much as we wanted with whomever we wanted all summer. No shock I was actually decent back then (upper 70's to low 80's) and not so much now that i play 10 to 15 times a year with more than 1/2 of those 9 holes. Of course as a kid that golf was free for me and I had no family where now it is certainly not free (though there are 2 decent muni's I can play for about $35) and even harder is giving up 5+ hours of my time. Having said all that I'm taking off the first nice day we have after the courses open back up and hitting the links!

2014-01-30 7:40 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Two totally amazing and unique courses with hills near O-Town.

Bella Collina http://www.bellacollina.com/

Streamsong http://www.streamsongresort.com/

Check out the pictures on the website.

2014-01-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by pga_mike

Two totally amazing and unique courses with hills near O-Town.

Bella Collina http://www.bellacollina.com/

Streamsong http://www.streamsongresort.com/

Check out the pictures on the website.

Streamsong - We were supposed to do Orlando last year and then Golf Digest had a huge article on Streamsong and now it seems like the prices shot through the roof. We tend to try and place one really nice place during these trips and I'm still putting pressure on people to do Streamsong because I really want to play it.

Haven't heard of Bella. Is it public?
2014-03-04 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Watching the Honda this weekend, I can't believe Rory choked on that 8' putt on 18 to win. 245 yard hybrid that he hit like a frigging 7 iron and just dropped on the green and then he blows the putt? Ouch.

I'm leaving tonight for Florida for 4 days of golfing glory in Orlando. Can't wait to get away from this 11F crap and into something above 60F.
2014-03-04 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Bella is public.  It was SUPPOSED to be private.

2014-03-26 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

AAAAAAAAAAHHH....only two weeks and two Texas tournaments away from the Big Show.  I love this time of year for so many reasons and the Masters is a big part of it!  Unfortunately at the rate we are going this spring, those of us in Wisconsin won't be on the golf course (or cycling) until about July

2014-03-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I know, these two weeks are just all build up for the Masters but it's cool to watch Sunday afternoons if someone can pull out a win to get a final spot at Augusta.

We're looking at back to back 50 degree days here... which will melt some snow while we wait until June to be able to play. Going to Florida a few weeks ago was almost too much of a tease.

Also just read that Golf Channel and NBC are going to broadcast all of the Ryder Cup this year. Every match. Every day. Should make for a great weekend in September.
2014-03-28 12:26 PM

User image

Regular
I pulled the trigger on the new Calloway irons a couple weeks ago. They had to make a little adjustment on them and I got tour wraps so they are a special order. It has been killing me waiting for them. I called today and was told they might be in today but more than likely not until Tuesday. That's ok because I am out of town for the weekend anyway.

As for the X2s themselves, I warn you not to pick them up unless you are ready to buy. I played an 18 hole round with the Titlest APIs and really liked them as my first trial. When I went to the pro shop, I first hit last years Calloway XHots and hated them. I thought I really wanted to the Taylor Made RocketBladez and really wanted to love them, but I just didn't. I rehit the APIs and was ready to walk out and they handed me the X2s. I hit them and they were just so smooth. I couldn't believe the difference between the original Xhots and the X2s, like night and day. I went back a week later and added a Nike set and a mizuno set to my trial. I kept going back to the X2s though.

I tried to get one of my work goals to be play more golf, but as overhead already, it didn't fly.
2014-03-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I got new irons 3 years ago. I played the same set for almost 15 years. I tried out a lot of different irons and finally decided on the Mizuno JPX-800 Pros. felt amazing compared to my no-name irons I was playing since I was a teenager. At the time it didn't seem stupid, but I went and got fit and ordered them about 3 weeks before my first son was due. Clubs come a little late, kid comes a little early, they end up both coming on the same day so it was a few weeks until I had a chance to get out and try them. Biggest thing I notice with the new irons is everything is struck more cleanly, even if it's kind of a mis-hit.

I tried the Callaways and just couldn't get a feel for them. I don't really know how much you can base on hitting a dozen balls, but something about them just didn't feel right. Clevelands felt wrong too. It was really between the Titleist and Mizuno. My cousin has Callaways though and loves them. My buddy has Clevelands and loves them. It's weird how if it just didn't feel right on those first few balls then I would almost mentally block out the clubs.
2014-03-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Got out on Sunday for 18 and found a good deal on a Leupold Rangefinder.  Gift to me for 2014!  Eyeing a new putter, but don't need it.  I'm pretty good with the one I have but it's a belly putter (I was copying Keegan and Adam and love it).  BUT, with the rule change I feel like I would need a non anchored putter, right?  Can't argue against adjusting for a rule change!  Taylormade Daddy Long Legs felt nice.

2014-03-28 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Do you guys use any apps or anything during your round? I used to be good about scoring with Golfshot but last year I forgot I even had it, so I didn't record any rounds. I loved the stats it gave after though. Misses, total putts, it was very helpful especially with FIR and GIR. Great tool to keep track of your short comings, and if you're lucky enough something

I just have a free yardage app that I use on courses that lack yardage markers. On the whole though I don't like using range finders or GPS for distances. I'm 32, been playing since I was a kid while I'm not good by any means, I kind of have a "feel" for distances. 9 times out of 10 I'll see a marker in the fairway and just base my yardage on that and I'm usually within 5 yards of what someone tells me with a GPS. I think a lot of people get really, REALLY concerned with the exact yardage they have left to the hole where a lot of people I play with at least, myself included, can't really control the ball to go 142 instead of 150. I realize it's a slippery slope and if the pin is in the back and it's a big green you leave yourself with a really long putt etc, but I know most people I play with, including myself, should just be going for the middle of the green anyway. Buddy of mine is a slow player and it kills me when he parks his cart, walks to his ball, takes out the range finder, checks the distance, goes back to get a club, then finally hits.

2014-03-28 3:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Since I have been working on my game, I really don't keep score much.  I'll keep track of how many birdies/pars/bogies I got, but after that?  Don't keep count.  I'll have a couple blowup holes that once I get on the green, pick it up.  I don't need to putt out.

As for the rangefinder?  I haven't needed it in the 18 years I have been playing off and on.  And I'm sure I'm not consistent enough for it to be THAT helpful.  But I also wouldn't need an IPhone app either.  For almost 20 years, I have paced off of sprinkler heads or the 100/150/200 marker and used the pin sheet.  Add or subtract 10 yards for a front or rear pin placement and club up or down for every 10 yards of vertical change.  I kept track of all my shots with a pencil on my scorecard (fairways hit, GIRs, etc).  Any analysis was done in a spreadsheet at home.  Even wrote my own handicapping spreadsheet using the USGA rules.

I guess I don't see the big deal.  If the technology is there, like a smartphone, apps, gps, or lasers, what's the harm of using it if it's not slowing you down?  I surely could run without my HRM or GPS as well.  But I love my gadgets!

Sounds like your friend isn't very up to date on course etiquette either.  I don't think it's a technology issue, but a manners issue.

2014-03-29 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Kido

Sounds like your friend isn't very up to date on course etiquette either.  I don't think it's a technology issue, but a manners issue.

He's normally slow anyway and sometimes infuriating to golf with. IMO he takes a lot of practice swings, hems and haws over picking a club, all that stuff that adds up and makes for slow play, but I think the range finder and yardage app thing he constantly pulls up just adds another 10 seconds or whatever to the whole process every sot. I like to play fast and kind of enjoy the lack of technology of just looking at a marker and a flag and hitting it.
2014-04-02 9:48 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, Tiger is not in the Masters next weekend.  I'm not sure about Phil.  Kind of disappointing but there are PLENTY of great players left.  I'm an Adam Scott fan mostly, but very close behind by Kutcher, Rory, Hunter, Speith, and countless others that are enjoyable to watch.

Back to Tiger.  We all thought he would destroy Jack's major count, but now that he's still 4 back, been pedestrian for the last 7-8 years?  (well, he was the best player of the year last year AND the competition is just getting better too).  But with age, and now back surgery?  I wonder if 18 to tie and 19 to take the lead is possible now with all the great competition?

2014-04-02 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
First time since Tiger was a senior in high school that he won't be playing in the Masters. That's crazy. 20 years. I don't care what anyone says but it will definitely be less of an event without him there. His chase to 18/19 and everything that goes along with his domination at the Masters is always something to watch. I just hope the critics don't know this as being an "easy" Masters or something because Tiger wasn't there. I'd be psyched if I was a pro out there playing though, no Tiger is just one more question to answer during the week, but one less thing to worry about on Sunday.

I think Tiger still has 1-2 more majors in him. Maybe 3 at the absolute max. This year is lost, at least you'd think it is seeing as the majors more or less come month after month until August. The only way I see him winning a few more is if he can really go on a streak at Augusta. I don't see him winning a US Open. Maybe a British. I could see a PGA I guess. IMO his best chance is at the Masters because of his knowledge of the course and whatever mojo it is he has there. I do think he'll pass Sam Snead though for total wins, just don't think he's got it in the tank to get past Jack.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2014 Official Golf Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

BT Guys 2014 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tcarlson78
Views: 8455 Posts: 64

2014-12-22 11:19 AM TriMike

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 6208 Posts: 63

2014-02-26 1:24 PM jeng

BT Girls of 2014 Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lkct01234
Views: 21968 Posts: 99

2014-12-23 9:01 AM flip18436572

2014 Chevy Trucks

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 1429 Posts: 7

2012-12-14 10:29 AM SoberTriGuy

2014 Super Bowl comes to NY/NJ!

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1744 Posts: 16

2010-05-26 6:28 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : July 9, 2008
Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.

date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
Swimming and cycling are well tolerated sports. Running should be limited based upon an athlete’s pain and functional limitations.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : March 5, 2006
Improving speed in swimming is more than just doing a few sprints at the beginning and end of your workouts. It takes a little more thinking, but I promise there is no high level math involved!

date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!