General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim question and a nutritional question. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-04 9:23 AM

User image

Gainesville, Jacksonville FL
Subject: Swim question and a nutritional question.
I recently stepped up to the silver mebership, and imported the "Basic 12 week sprint RPE " to my training schedule.

After 5 weeks of piddling around on my own with some of the free programs, I thought it was time.

I paid for some swim lessons, and am happy with the progress I'm making with my freestyle. I have a strong background in running, biking is easy enough at the sprint level for me, and when I swam before for excercise it was always sidestoke - which comes relativly easy for me. The freestyle swim is in the process of catching up.

Here's the question; On my swim days when I'm doing my laps at whatever level is required (i.e. today for 600yds - I misread and did 800yds) I'm combining my sidestoke with the freestyle with a four to six ratio - 4 lengths of freestyle, then 6 of sidestroke for recovery.
Is this permissible - or rather suggested? Or should I start from ground zero with the swim and build up only the freestyle swimming?

The ultimate goal is to change the ratio with more freestyle and less sidestroke, until the sidestroke is done. But once again, should this be in the "confines" of the imported training program?

Also, how do you put a muti-vitamin in the nutritional chart?

Thanks everybody.

Edited by CPerkins 2006-08-04 9:39 AM

2006-08-04 10:06 AM
in reply to: #502216

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Swim question and a nutritional question.
Hi there - I am playing catch up with swimming myself. I am slow and don't have much distance but the key IS distance. Ultimately, I'm training to have the ability to go farther. I started with struggling to do 50 yards freestyle. I'd flip from free to breast to back stroke to get in 250 yards. The other day I swam 1000 yards - major milestone and most was free style! With practice I hope to make it all free style but it takes time time time!!!
When I did a super sprint a few weeks ago, I had to break into the breast stroke at times but there were others doing the same (yet lots just plowing thru doing freestyle too!).
Hang in there! I think I too would do well with some lessons.
2006-08-04 10:44 AM
in reply to: #502216

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: RE: Swim question and a nutritional question.
I think the biggest thing is just that you're getting to the pool and swimming regularly. Keep with your plan of slowly phasing out the sidestroke and make sure you do it, but in the meantime, I don't think it's a big deal. Obviously swimming all freestyle is better training for swimming freestyle in a race, but you get some benefit from sidestroke...

-Matt
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim question and a nutritional question. Rss Feed