General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing a first Sprint Triathalon in NJ this summer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-27 10:25 PM

Subject: Choosing a first Sprint Triathalon in NJ this summer
Hello,

I've begun training for my first sprint tri this summer but have not yet nailed down which would be the best fit for a beginner. I am considering Iron Girl Sandy Hook, Jersey Girl Tri (Long Branch), and the NJ State Tri. Any opinions as to which would be best for a newbie?

Thanks,
Shawna

2014-01-28 8:24 AM
in reply to: Shawnal

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Choosing a first Sprint Triathalon in NJ this summer
I don't know much about any of those, but I do know that Jersey State is supposedly the biggest tri in the area, so personally, I would probably choose something a little more low key for a first one.

Just me though.

2014-01-28 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi Shawna and get ready to get hooked! Having done the Jersey Girl race twice I highly recommend it as it is really newbie friendly and you may find that women-only races have a certain camaraderie that you don't find as much in an open race. My fiancé says he loves the all-women races just because of the "feeling" one gets and how all the girls cheer for and encourage each other. The other nice thing is that leading up to the Jersey Girl race you will see a lot of clinics for beginners to teach you how to handle a bike, transition and even open water swims in the ocean.

Speaking of swims, I help run an open water swim in Hightstown, NJ in Peddie Lake every Friday evening 5:30 to 7:30 pm from May through September that is a good, controlled open water swim if you want experience other than the ocean.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to message me if you need more help.

Patti in NJ

Edited by pugpenny 2014-01-28 11:47 AM
2014-01-28 8:27 PM

User image

Hi welcome to the sport! I did NJ state as my first race a few years ago, and yes it is big and a lot of high level competitors in it. But I loved the efficiency of the race directors. Everything was well marked, it is a super easy course flat and fast! And tons of support just don't be afraid to ask questions!

2014-01-31 9:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I like the NJ State because the swim is in a lake (other two are ocean swims) but I am a bit intimidated by the number of "high level" competitors. On the other hand, I like the idea of the camaraderie of the women-only races. As long as I don't hear anything *bad* about any of these races, it may just come down to scheduling.

Patti -- thanks for the offer to join your swim, but I live almost an hour away (West Orange) so it isn't a reasonable option for me, although when we get closer I'd like to do some open water practicing.

Follow up question: am I crazy to consider signing up for two of these races? How much recovery time is typical between races? I feel like if I am going to train all spring I should really go for it this summer!

Thanks,
Shawna
2014-02-02 2:44 PM

User image

The lake is pretty friendly at the NJ state so thats a good starting place. I wouldn't worry about the competition as you can lay back at the swim start and just go your own pace...one of the best things about trio's in general is pro's and amateurs alike are going to support each other on the course!

Recovery time shouldn't be an issue. For a sprint you should feel fine after a day or two even next day if you are feeling good going into the race!

Most important be safe and have fun!!!

Ray

2014-02-26 10:35 AM

User image

Hi Shawna,

I'm not a female, but I can tell you that I have heard really great things about the Jersey Girl Tri in Long Branch on several forums, as well as other triathletes I've spoken to at races. If I'm not mistaken, they include free training plans when you sign up... and if you join the Sandy Hookers Tri Club (free or something really small for the 1st year I think - no commitment afterwards), you'll get a discount on the race itself and access to SHTC group workouts with Brian Shea (the "resident" coach). In the swim portion of the race, there are "swim angels", who are present throughout the course to ensure every participant's safety. It seems to be a really great event for the first timer.

If you go to www.sandyhookers.org, you can email the race director Doug Rice himself... he's great at responding to questions. I know I sound like a mark for the event/club, but they're one of the best event organizers in the area that I've personally seen. I actually have no affiliation to the them!

Good luck on your first event!

Mike
2014-03-04 9:53 AM

User image

I did Hightstown as my first tri last summer and it was fantastic. It was really well organized and despite my own performance (don't do a tri on a mountain bike), it was tons of fun. The organizers and volunteers were fantastic and I can't wait to get back this year and improve.
As for this year, I still consider myself a newbie, but I'm thinking Asbury Park (not sure of distance) and NJ State Olympic.
2014-03-05 2:44 PM

User image

Regular
Marlton, NJ
I would say Marlton Lakes Triathlon or Medford Lakes Triathlon, both are great, low key races for beginners.
2014-03-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: ryanone

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
My first tri was last year at riverwinds. 200 yard indoor pool swim, 10.3 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Great beginner tri, especially for somebody worried about the swim. This year I think the date is April 27th
2014-03-07 11:21 AM

User image

NJ State is great choice for first tri. Well run overall, lake swim, well staffed and lots of other first timers. This was my first race in 2012 after it was recommended by friends who raced this as their first.

I also love the Delmo Sports events. Atlantic City in Sept is another great first timer event. Swim is in protected back bay, closed bike course, very well run.

Best of luck!

2014-03-24 7:48 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Shawna, 

If you live in West Orange, there's a great little sprint tri called Dok-n-Sok in Watchung at the end of June.  Lake swim, 10 mile bike with a few decent climbs and a 5K run at the end.  It's a great little race and our triathlon coaching company will offer a course preview ride before the race.  There's more info at greenbrookracing.com if you're interested!

Kristin

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing a first Sprint Triathalon in NJ this summer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Belmar NJ sprint

Started by temoniprince
Views: 3138 Posts: 11

2011-07-30 8:52 PM temoniprince

N.J. State Tri First responder Division all set

Started by lucerolite
Views: 1430 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 12:50 PM lucerolite

25th Annual Sprint Tri this weekend in Long Branch, NJ

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1567 Posts: 6

2009-09-11 3:53 PM avasta

OT: NJ State- looking 4 child supervision while I Sprint

Started by MillMan221
Views: 1186 Posts: 6

2009-07-24 4:58 PM JohnAgs3

NJ State Sprint 1st timers?

Started by Fechter99
Views: 1403 Posts: 9

2008-07-26 8:56 PM ToeKnail
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Swimming for the triathlete.

author : Gareth
How to Breath Bilaterally.
author : surfking
On August 31 I officially became a triathlete. With a big day ahead of me I went to bed early the night before. I woke up at 4:45 am. I was full of energy and ready to go!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 9
It seems that the question arises most everywhere I go and it is usually comes from a 210-pound pot-bellied chain smoker. “Aren’t you to big to be doing triathlons?”