Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 77

2014-04-11 12:06 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Originally posted by gr33n
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by gr33n Oh 24 seems more like it. Wow Lisa thats huge. Congratulations ! I think. Right ? How did they take it ?

My manager seemed genuinely happy for me - he kept saying what a great opportunity and great fit, you have to do what's best for you, we will figure it out here, etc. We went in together and told senior manager and VP together - senior manager seemed a bit shocked and actually disappointed (in the way a parent would be disappointed in their child), and VP seemed indifferent to the news but happy for me. Senior manager told me as he was leaving for the day "Congrats and I hope it turns out exactly as you hope" - bit of a weird statement but I won't read too much into it. 

Must be a great feeling. Congrats. I hope you have a nice break in between the 2.

Congratulations.  I know this is something you have been looking forward to.  

The best managers I knew took a great deal of satisfaction in the success of people they hired.  It makes the look smart and a good judge of talent that their hires go on to great things. 

Either that or he is really glad to get rid of you.  (That's just for Kido's benefit.)

TW

Ha! I think the reality started to set in that they are going to be on a struggle bus until the position gets filled. When I started our staff was 5. One person retired and not replaced, so 4. One person quit to be a mommy, not replaced, so 3. One person laid off last summer, so 2. Sure we were doing things we could eliminate and streamline, but we really should have 3 people on-staff minimum. Benchmarking data shows a company of our size (employees, revenues, etc.) should have a staff of 6-7 (I'm perplexed as to why they do benchmarking data when then have no intentions of making any changes). One person trying to do everything is simply not going to work and going to be VERY frustrating. Not my issue I suppose, but I feel for my friends who are now in this position.

2014-04-12 8:52 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by gr33n

Originally posted by gr33n Oh 24 seems more like it. Wow Lisa thats huge. Congratulations ! I think. Right ? How did they take it ?

My manager seemed genuinely happy for me - he kept saying what a great opportunity and great fit, you have to do what's best for you, we will figure it out here, etc. We went in together and told senior manager and VP together - senior manager seemed a bit shocked and actually disappointed (in the way a parent would be disappointed in their child), and VP seemed indifferent to the news but happy for me. Senior manager told me as he was leaving for the day "Congrats and I hope it turns out exactly as you hope" - bit of a weird statement but I won't read too much into it. 

Must be a great feeling. Congrats. I hope you have a nice break in between the 2.

Congratulations.  I know this is something you have been looking forward to.  

The best managers I knew took a great deal of satisfaction in the success of people they hired.  It makes the look smart and a good judge of talent that their hires go on to great things. 

Either that or he is really glad to get rid of you.  (That's just for Kido's benefit.)

TW

Ha! I think the reality started to set in that they are going to be on a struggle bus until the position gets filled. When I started our staff was 5. One person retired and not replaced, so 4. One person quit to be a mommy, not replaced, so 3. One person laid off last summer, so 2. Sure we were doing things we could eliminate and streamline, but we really should have 3 people on-staff minimum. Benchmarking data shows a company of our size (employees, revenues, etc.) should have a staff of 6-7 (I'm perplexed as to why they do benchmarking data when then have no intentions of making any changes). One person trying to do everything is simply not going to work and going to be VERY frustrating. Not my issue I suppose, but I feel for my friends who are now in this position.

Congratulations and I hope it all works out great for you wherever you go.  I know you have been looking at moving out of the area, is that still the plan?

2014-04-12 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls

FUN! I want to be on a boat!

Gave my notice at work yesterday. Feeling so good about everything!

Heading to Raleigh tomorrow for Rock N Roll Half. Weather is going to be perfect!

Congratulations! Hope it goes well.

Kick as in Raleigh. Celebrate at 42nd street oyster bar or Angus Barn steak house.
2014-04-14 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Happy monday TAN I actually had a REAL weekend off!!  I got to ride my bike outside which did wonders for my mental health and got a bunch of wedding things done too   Hope everyone else got the weekend off and had a nice one too

2014-04-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

After a long week of traveling for work last week, I come back to a Bday (my son turns 13) and a funeral to attend. I also hope to get my butt in gear anbd start training once again

2014-04-14 9:41 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Regular
Madrid
It was a beauty of a weekend here too. Not a cloud in sight with temps ranging from mid 50's in the morning to mid 80's in the afternoons. Oversaw a full day of little league baseball on Saturday which is always a good time. Sunday did a little bike time and then a very enjoyable 6k run in a blazing 33 minutes, followed by grocery shopping and the highlight of the weekend of the obligatory siesta on the terrace. Should be a pretty light week here too. With Easter ahead its basically a 3 day week. Yeah.

2014-04-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite
Cleveland

An incredible weekend here.  

Went camping with the girlfriend and her daughters at the place my gf was running a trail race  (named "Forget the PR" - SUPER Hilly).  Campfires, sunshine, teaching the girls how to fish - even bought them their own fishing poles - lots of swimming.  All around a great time only marred by the little one coming down with strep.  She battled hard though.

Ended the weekend by finishing rebuilding the back of my girlfriend's garage and a short run together that was strategically planned to end at the ice cream shoppe

Good times 

2014-04-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro

Morning, TAN!

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to volunteer at the Team Red White and Blue tri camp in Austin this weekend. It was AMAZING.

2014-04-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Elite

It was a beautiful weekend here in Tennessee.  JWKMH and I got to the lake on Friday evening and had some rose wine on the dock and watched the sun go down.  The dogwoods were beginning to bloom.  The trees are just leafing out and are that shade of green called yellow green in the Crayola box.  Between ourselves we call this color Doug McFall green. Doug was a person whom we both knew as kids.  He was kind of a bully.  When JWKMH was small in Sunday School, she colored some trees that yellow-green color.  Doug made fun of her picture and said trees are not that color.  It still makes her angry, mainly that she didn't cut him down to size on the spot.  Today, I can assure you Doug would have no chance.  This time of year, we always point to the trees and wish Doug were still around to be set straight.

On Saturday, I put in the new impeller in the raw water pump in the boat.  The new engine is much more awkward to work on than the old boat so it took a long time.  But I was successful ultimately and we took the boat out for a spin.  And of course, the weather forecast for Tuesday night is for temps to dip to 29.  Now I am in a quandary what to do.  I guess I will go back to the lake house today and put an electric light in the engine compartment to keep it warm. We leave for Brazil on Wednesday evening and have much to do to get ready.  First world problem?

TW

2014-04-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Morning, TAN!

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to volunteer at the Team Red White and Blue tri camp in Austin this weekend. It was AMAZING.

OMG, soooo jealous!

This has to be high on my priority list for next year.  Even if I can't be a participant, I think I need to volunteer.  

2014-04-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cgregg

Morning, TAN!

OMG, soooo jealous!

This has to be high on my priority list for next year.  Even if I can't be a participant, I think I need to volunteer.  

DO IT! 

2014-04-14 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Weird weekend weather here.  Saturday high around 80 and windy.  Saturday evening still around 80 and got 1.5" hail and high winds.  Sunday, 2.85" of rain,  Woke up this morning to 1.5" of snow and ice on the streets.  WTH!!!!!

2014-04-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

It's been almost the exact same weirdness here too...  

Saturday started as super windy, then hail, then ridiculously warm and windy, cooling off on Sunday then woke up to pouring rain this morning mixed with some snow.  

GRRRRR!   

2014-04-14 4:31 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Saturday started as super windy, then hail, then ridiculously warm and windy, cooling off on Sunday then woke up to pouring rain this morning mixed with some snow.  

GRRRRR!   

Updates from my future home (MO) indicate 75 degrees yesterday, snow today.

Seems to be a trend everywhere. Except Arizona. 

2014-04-14 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

GRRRRR!   

Such weather weirdness this year!  I'm REALLY looking forward to checking out Austin next month.  

2014-04-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Elite
Cleveland

GRRRRR!   

Such weather weirdness this year!  I'm REALLY looking forward to checking out Austin next month.  

Dittos.  It was 70 degrees this morning, and it is now 48 and dropping to below freezing tonight (mid 20's).

We've had high winds and torrential rains - like filming of the sequel to 'NOAH' type rains - and are expecting 1"-3" of snow by morning with temps rebounding to the mid-50's on Thursday.

Just another week in Cleveland.

2014-04-14 9:58 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Veteran
Austin
Tax day April 15th low in the 40's Austin TX. What is with this wind? It will be hot soon enough then we will complain about the heat. just the ramblings of a Texan that missed his bike ride today.
2014-04-15 7:24 AM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by TXwildcat Tax day April 15th low in the 40's Austin TX. What is with this wind? It will be hot soon enough then we will complain about the heat. just the ramblings of a Texan that missed his bike ride today.

welcome to TAN new guy!  

2014-04-15 7:57 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i was supposed to drop my dog off at the groomer this morning and i completely forgot about it.  i am a failure of a dog mommy.  

2014-04-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mehaner

i was supposed to drop my dog off at the groomer this morning and i completely forgot about it.  i am a failure of a dog mommy.  

Our doggie is going to the pet resort today.  She will be there for 3 weeks.  She has a suite (no kidding, a suite) next to the door.  And runs out on her patio and stares at the car as you pull away.  It is the face that does it.  She as mastered guilt projection.  I actually like where she stays.  It is better than my doghouse in many ways.

It is snowing, big wet flakes mixed with rain.   This is weird.  

TW

2014-04-15 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I hate going to read someone's blog and trying to comment on it only to have to decipher the gatekeeper and figured out the code to prove I am not a bot that fills up comments with spam!

2014-04-15 10:02 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

I hate going to read someone's blog and trying to comment on it only to have to decipher the gatekeeper and figured out the code to prove I am not a bot that fills up comments with spam!

i can NEVER get those right.  it makes it really hard to buy concert tickets - all ticket sites use those too.

2014-04-15 11:23 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

Our doggie is going to the pet resort today.  She will be there for 3 weeks.  She has a suite (no kidding, a suite) next to the door.  And runs out on her patio and stares at the car as you pull away.  It is the face that does it.  She as mastered guilt projection.  I actually like where she stays.  It is better than my doghouse in many ways.

It is snowing, big wet flakes mixed with rain.   This is weird.  

TW

My dog's "pet resort" here has a bone-shaped in-ground pool for the dogs to swim in. My dog quickly forgets I'm not there if he gets to swim.

He's also overly people-friendly, so he gets TONS of attention because everyone he meets is his new best friend.

Seems like a sweet place to stay

2014-04-15 1:15 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

We had about 1/2 inch of snowfall yesterday morning, glad I was out of town! It all melted of course but definitely COLD this morning at 28 degrees. Hello April!

My dog hates going to the kennel, he will cling to me like a baby when I take him in. Doesn't help that I HOLD him like a baby on my hip but still. Then when I put him down he tries his darndest to dig in his heels and get back to me - the whining. Last time I dropped him off the lady had taken him out of the building and I could see them from the parking lot - she accidentally dropped his leash and he straight bee-lined it back to the door as fast as he could. It was sad. But funny.

2014-04-15 1:45 PM

User image

Pro

We had about 1/2 inch of snowfall yesterday morning, glad I was out of town! It all melted of course but definitely COLD this morning at 28 degrees. Hello April!

My dog hates going to the kennel, he will cling to me like a baby when I take him in. Doesn't help that I HOLD him like a baby on my hip but still. Then when I put him down he tries his darndest to dig in his heels and get back to me - the whining. Last time I dropped him off the lady had taken him out of the building and I could see them from the parking lot - she accidentally dropped his leash and he straight bee-lined it back to the door as fast as he could. It was sad. But funny.

My dog has this weird thing where as long as HE walks away from ME, he's fine. But if I walk away from HIM, all heck breaks loose. It's funny.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  

of 77

RELATED POSTS

TAN #180 Degrees (Turn Around, Every Now and Then) Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by TriAya
Views: 38765 Posts: 1749

2012-09-06 4:00 PM NRG42

TAN #160: Just farTAN' around as usual ... Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by TriAya
Views: 32425 Posts: 1598

2012-02-08 2:48 PM FoggyGoggles

FHA 203(k) and Fannie HomeStyle Rennovation Mortgages?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1173 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:57 PM Bripod

203(k) Loans

Started by kmanus
Views: 699 Posts: 3

2009-12-19 10:32 PM tetchypoo

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4724 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.