Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 77

2014-04-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around

Today is not my day for food. Stopped by a bagel place for an egg sandwich this morning, and the lady dropped the last everything bagel on the floor as she was going to the toaster. 

Went to grab my lunch from the fridge at work - leftover ceviche from yesterday - and someone cleaned the fridge and threw everything out.

Hopefully my dinner fares better.

2014-04-15 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by lisac957

We had about 1/2 inch of snowfall yesterday morning, glad I was out of town! It all melted of course but definitely COLD this morning at 28 degrees. Hello April!

My dog hates going to the kennel, he will cling to me like a baby when I take him in. Doesn't help that I HOLD him like a baby on my hip but still. Then when I put him down he tries his darndest to dig in his heels and get back to me - the whining. Last time I dropped him off the lady had taken him out of the building and I could see them from the parking lot - she accidentally dropped his leash and he straight bee-lined it back to the door as fast as he could. It was sad. But funny.

My dog has this weird thing where as long as HE walks away from ME, he's fine. But if I walk away from HIM, all heck breaks loose. It's funny.

Our cats HATE it when we go away.  They leave various "presents" for us when we return home and then get all clingy and panic whenever we head for the door.  Sorry kittehs, but we need vacations!  

2014-04-15 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Today is not my day for food. Stopped by a bagel place for an egg sandwich this morning, and the lady dropped the last everything bagel on the floor as she was going to the toaster. 

Went to grab my lunch from the fridge at work - leftover ceviche from yesterday - and someone cleaned the fridge and threw everything out.

Hopefully my dinner fares better.

Crap, you just reminded me that I REALLY need to throw out some stuff that's in the staff fridge.  I'm pretty sure it's a science experiment by now.  

2014-04-16 6:58 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

is it normal to want to never speak to any of your family ever again (except your sister cause she is your best friend and clearly the only way you survived being raised by a pack of a-holes)?  i will NEVER go to a family holiday again, absolutely will not.

2014-04-16 7:22 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
Madrid
Day not off to a good start it seems.
2014-04-16 7:31 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by gr33n Day not off to a good start it seems.

this was precipitated by a phone call last night that is weighing VERY HEAVY on my heart and mind today.  i can't wait to have kids and do the opposite of everything my family has done to me.

2014-04-16 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by gr33n Day not off to a good start it seems.

this was precipitated by a phone call last night that is weighing VERY HEAVY on my heart and mind today.  i can't wait to have kids and do the opposite of everything my family has done to me.

Sorry. Dysfunctional family matters are not fun. Sometimes I think its no accident I live far away. Maybe time to push harder for that European assignment. Increasing the time zone differential can help.
2014-04-16 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

is it normal to want to never speak to any of your family ever again (except your sister cause she is your best friend and clearly the only way you survived being raised by a pack of a-holes)?  i will NEVER go to a family holiday again, absolutely will not.

You need to do what is best for you, and hopefully your sister also.  Start your own family and your own family holidays.

2014-04-16 7:46 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by flip18436572

You need to do what is best for you, and hopefully your sister also.  Start your own family and your own family holidays.

Yup, yup.  Who cares what 'normal' is?

Do whatever it is that brings you and your sister peace and happiness.

2014-04-16 8:15 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Elite
Oh boy. We fly overnight to São Paulo tonight. Geezerette #1 told us last night that she and the Grand Geezerette are meeting us at the airport and we are driving straight to the beach for the holiday. SIL will be driving up later in the day with his brother and his family. Big beach house on the ocean. Now the dilemma. Do I wear the board shorts on the plane or not??? If not for TAN rules I would post pictures of the Easter dresses I got for GG. There will also be a huge Brazilian style birthday party for GG the next weekend.
2014-04-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Regular
Madrid
I tend to get cold when I fly so I'd skip the shorts and go with a comfortable pair of Chinos (the pants). Boa viagem...

2014-04-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by gr33n I tend to get cold when I fly so I'd skip the shorts and go with a comfortable pair of Chinos (the pants). Boa viagem...

this - too cold to fly in shorts.  easy enough to have them in your bag and change before you leave the airport.

2014-04-16 9:23 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gr33n I tend to get cold when I fly so I'd skip the shorts and go with a comfortable pair of Chinos (the pants). Boa viagem...

this - too cold to fly in shorts.  easy enough to have them in your bag and change before you leave the airport.

Yes. I was just trying to evoke some over-the-top enthusiasm. Did I mention that the Bambini balance bike that I got GG for her birthday fits in my suitcase?http://www.miir.com/product_p/500226-500229.htmThis will so much fun.MEH we will adopt you if you want. Families can be the best things in life. I am sorry yours is not.
2014-04-16 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

MEH sorry about the family issues

Geezer you could wear your shorts under some sweatpants on the plane

2014-04-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Yes. I was just trying to evoke some over-the-top enthusiasm. Did I mention that the Bambini balance bike that I got GG for her birthday fits in my suitcase?http://www.miir.com/product_p/500226-500229.htmThis will so much fun.MEH we will adopt you if you want. Families can be the best things in life. I am sorry yours is not.

i had an adopted family here in VA and they let me down too.  i love my family, i just have to redefine it as my husband and dogs and sister and bro-in-law and nieces and nephews and my 2 best friends.

also, that is an adorable bike!  what color did you buy?  i like the green one the best!

Edited by mehaner 2014-04-16 9:33 AM
2014-04-16 10:25 AM

User image

Pro

I got my 2.5 year old niece a green strider bike for Christmas. She was SO EXCITED! She screamed "my bike!" and proceeded to ride it around the living room. I've decided it's the best gift ever.

I'm also the only aunt outside of like a 15 mile radius from her - so I HAVE to buy the coolest presents

2014-04-16 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I decided a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago that your family can be whomever YOU choose it to be.  They don't have to be blood related, and as far as I'm concerned, you already HAVE your own family with Mr. Meh and can do whatever you dAmn-well please in terms of vacations.  

Geezer - that is the cutest bike!!!  Enjoy your time in Brazil knowing that you're making us all supremely jealous.  Or at least me... I'm supremely jealous.   

2014-04-16 12:13 PM

User image

Elite

i had an adopted family here in VA and they let me down too.  i love my family, i just have to redefine it as my husband and dogs and sister and bro-in-law and nieces atnd nephews and my 2 best friends.

also, that is an adorable bike!  what color did you buy?  i like the green one the best!

I got the purple one on advice from G1. Green is good too.

I got lucky on the family lottery. They are all pretty interesting and likeable

I just told JWKMH that I needed her biggest asset. I wanted her to sit on my suitcase as I zipped it up. That did not go over well. Yuck, yuck. She is so happy she even laughed.

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-04-16 12:15 PM
2014-04-16 5:39 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was set on getting THIS one day.

My family is awesome.  I hope to be as good a parent as mine are.  How hard can it be to be a good parent?  If you just realize it can't be me me me and it's about THEM, you should be golden.  Most BAD parents are in it for themselves, I'm guessing.  Need attention and they create drama to get it - when the attention should be on the family/kids.

Just my armchair psychology.

Edited by Kido 2014-04-16 5:43 PM
2014-04-16 6:27 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

My family is awesome.  I hope to be as good a parent as mine are.  How hard can it be to be a good parent?  If you just realize it can't be me me me and it's about THEM, you should be golden.  Most BAD parents are in it for themselves, I'm guessing.  Need attention and they create drama to get it - when the attention should be on the family/kids.

i dunno, i always thought my mom and nana were both very selfless people.  but then i grew up and everything changed.  i have no idea what it takes to be a good parent but i have a LOOOOOOONG list of what NOT to do.

2014-04-17 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

who else has a 3-day weekend coming up!????  yippeeeee!

2014-04-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Just be careful because if it swings to much to the THEM THEM THEM camp, then I believe you will have a different set of struggles.  I know at times it is so easy to get wrapped up in the kiddos that it appears the marriage takes a back seat, and the one thing I want my three boys to learn form me is that their mother is number one in my book. Not saying I do not love them, but I am not here to make sure they are the center of the universe. ( I know that sounds harsh, but not really meant that way)

2014-04-17 8:58 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

Just be careful because if it swings to much to the THEM THEM THEM camp, then I believe you will have a different set of struggles.  I know at times it is so easy to get wrapped up in the kiddos that it appears the marriage takes a back seat, and the one thing I want my three boys to learn form me is that their mother is number one in my book. Not saying I do not love them, but I am not here to make sure they are the center of the universe. ( I know that sounds harsh, but not really meant that way)

i agree with this - this is why you see many marriages kind of fall apart when the kids leave the house or start having their own thing go on in HS - the parents never worked on their relationship with each other or with other friends/hobbies outside of their family.  i like your opinion that your wife is number one - especially raising boys to show them how to treat wimmenz!  i also want my kids to see that hard work is important so i plan to continue to excel in my career even after kids come into the picture.  

but i only have fur kids for now and those guys really do get to be the center of my universe a lot of the time....hahahahaha

2014-04-17 9:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Psychology Thursday in TAN - I like it!

I don't have much to add as this is really one of those situations I don't know much about since I don't have kids. I think the WORLD of my parents and how they raised us, but have no clue what went into it - what were their struggles, their victories, their sacrifices. No idea. I just know I was raised in a positive, healthy environment with extremely loving parents. Very grateful.

I did recently learn some things about another family member that turned my view of them fairly dramatically. I've kind of pushed it out of my mind since it doesn't really affect my day-to-day life - that's healthy, right?

2014-04-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

Psychology Thursday in TAN - I like it!

I don't have much to add as this is really one of those situations I don't know much about since I don't have kids. I think the WORLD of my parents and how they raised us, but have no clue what went into it - what were their struggles, their victories, their sacrifices. No idea. I just know I was raised in a positive, healthy environment with extremely loving parents. Very grateful.

I did recently learn some things about another family member that turned my view of them fairly dramatically. I've kind of pushed it out of my mind since it doesn't really affect my day-to-day life - that's healthy, right?

Sure is!

I'm lucky. My family is amazing. Most of TAN is at least aware of what I've been going through - my mom has sent me two cards, and they call to check in on me constantly. Of course, my mom is pushing for me to never come back to AZ but she is actually still very supportive if I don't want to stay in the northeast - which I though she's fight hard to keep me there. I would REALLY like to be closer to family though. I'm realizing that they matter so much to me that I sort of want to be near them again.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  

of 77

RELATED POSTS

TAN #180 Degrees (Turn Around, Every Now and Then) Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by TriAya
Views: 38785 Posts: 1749

2012-09-06 4:00 PM NRG42

TAN #160: Just farTAN' around as usual ... Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by TriAya
Views: 32435 Posts: 1598

2012-02-08 2:48 PM FoggyGoggles

FHA 203(k) and Fannie HomeStyle Rennovation Mortgages?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1174 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:57 PM Bripod

203(k) Loans

Started by kmanus
Views: 700 Posts: 3

2009-12-19 10:32 PM tetchypoo

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4735 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.