General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day hydration/nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-29 6:42 PM

User image

Subject: Race day hydration/nutrition
Cant tolerate Gatorade etc.. too sugary, makes me sick to my stomach. I have a 1/2 Aquabike and a Half Iron this summer and need suggestions for hydration/nutrition. I cant eat much solid on the run either. Currentyl I am NoSugarNoGrain and beginning to lose some weight, but have always preferred "natural " sugar/carbs to help sustain energy for long rides etc..ex I make homemade date/nutbars and cherry juice coconut water for drink.
Thinking if I bring my own to races it will be warm, very shaken up and gross?? (sensitive stomach, remember!)
Race venues I am registered for only have Gatorade offered on course

2014-01-30 12:44 AM
in reply to: joyct32

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Race day hydration/nutrition
I would just test your beverage of choice on long rides/bricks. If it tastes okay for a workout, or even a hike, that lasts about as long as the event, you should be fine. I often get coconut water here in Vietnam (from the coconut) have sometimes put it in my water bottles, and I don't recall it getting too gross when warm and even shaken up on an MTB ride. Some places chill the coconuts, but when we get it roadside, it's often served pretty warm. What does get really disgusting at high temps are some of the commercial sports nutrition products! My friend and I tried samples (I believe of Exceed) at a race one time and they became undrinkable within less than 3 hours with temps in the high 90's. Maybe they were mixed improperly--not sure.

I also can't stomach Gatorade for some reason on the run, and some of the sugary alternatives served at events here in Asia are even worse. My solution is to carry a sugar-free drink (Nuun or Hammer Endurolyte) in a waist pack (and in the bottles on my bike) and supplement it with water as needed at the aid stations. I also carry the one kind of gel that I can stand. (Yep, really picky--I gag on other stuff!) Homemade date/nut bars would be doable, but messy on the bike. Plain dates, or a whole foods type bar might be a more portable choice for a long bike leg. One of my favorites is ProBar--it's less sweet than other products, supposedly organic and "whole foods", and larger than most bars. Picky Bar is another similar brand started by athletes from my hometown.

But you might also want to find a gel/gu that you can stand as a backup--I'd intended to eat mainly the bars (cut in pieces) in my HIM, but I had some chain issues early on that resulted in my hands getting coated in bike grease and it was getting in my mouth. I was glad I had the gu on board as backup-- even though it wasn't my favorite thing to eat, it was a lot more palatable than bike grease!
2014-01-31 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
http://succeedscaps.com/products/amino/This will hopefully be the answer! I faced some of the same issues and discovered this! Also, I had problems with gels in longer races/workouts and switched to the Clif Shot Blox......These 2 work perfect for me...everyone is different but I'm confident the Amino will cure the "Gatorade" issue.....

Edited by todds 2014-01-31 4:36 PM
2014-02-02 5:08 AM

User image

Thanks for the ideas. Last summer I began using coconut water with 100% dark cherry juice (taste and sugar) for my long hot day rides. I do make a date/nut bar that have taken in bento box before, I freeze them but just unsure how it will hold up with heat, motion etc.. I will also try NUUN this year but still wondering if that's enough appropriate calories for a 1/2.
Joy
2014-02-02 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The drinks I mentioned have no calories so you would need something else for nutrition. I'm thinking of trying the coconut water with fruit juice concept myself for rides. It's cheap and easy to get coconut water here and I could get it mixed at the local juice place with any tropical fruit juice in season. A couple of friends who bike, run, and play tennis have taught our local café how to make them a "recovery drink" with coconut water, pineapple, and passionfruit juice--delicious! As another thought, when I happened to do a bike tour with one of Indonesia top master's cyclists a few years ago, I was surprised to see that he often put electrolyte tabs into diluted fresh fruit juice (easy to buy in most villages) rather than plain water, or mixed sports drinks with the juice, to add calories and get a more natural flavor. Never thought of that before, but my Nuun tabs did dissolve in several juices I tried--the lemon-lime and citrus flavors mix well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day hydration/nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race day nutrition

Started by cbwaid
Views: 1106 Posts: 2

2011-01-30 9:28 AM Daffodil

IM Nutrition - 48 hours to Race Day

Started by Mbzartri
Views: 1034 Posts: 2

2010-06-20 1:13 PM ironlib

Alternative race day nutrition

Started by Gerrard
Views: 1317 Posts: 3

2008-07-17 7:12 PM puellasolis

Race day nutrition, olympic tri

Started by mainetriman
Views: 1553 Posts: 6

2008-07-10 11:04 AM Artemis

How to determine race day nutrition

Started by kimmitri408
Views: 1586 Posts: 10

2008-03-21 9:11 AM Gregkl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.