Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-01-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Blaine Tri thoughts

I wish I had the vision, but as I am mere mortal I'll just tell you what I would do.    I think that race is too early in the season to sign up for in advance.   Is there a chance to sign up that week?

Similar to the Ironman Bike Ride, there are some races you make last minute decisions about because the weather is so problematic.    Unless this is a race that you feel you REALLY want to do, and don't mind possibly wasting the registration, I would wait.    If it doesn't sell out, it only goes up $15 in price after March 1st. That's not bad.

2014-01-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-30 2:02 PM

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by brickbd Though you cannot see into the future, I will forgive and move forward!!! Still, this race fills pretty quick. I'm willing to bet that it will fill again this year. Still, I can say from inside info that many did not show up last year even though they registered. I guess I will have to wait and see. Thks tho!

Good luck!  I think my point was basically to determine your threshold.  Would you be more sad to miss getting in? Or more sad to waste the fee if it's too cold?

For what it's worth, I spectated at the first one and the weather was great.   Water was definitely on the chilly side, but manageable.  So, you know, who knows!

2014-01-31 8:45 AM

Hugo, MN
One thing to consider is that it's a swim in the 500-600 yd range. You'll only be in the water a handful of minutes.
2014-01-31 7:38 PM

Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
They weren't complaining. They were bragging!

I think you should pass on the event unless you are prepared to race in cool conditions. You might consider a pool swim triathlon. Even if it is cool and rainy outside, you get warmed up from swimming 500-600 yards in a pool (at least I do) and it actually feels really good to get out into the cool air.

2014-01-31 8:42 PM
in reply to: gonzobob

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by gonzobob They weren't complaining. They were bragging! I think you should pass on the event unless you are prepared to race in cool conditions. You might consider a pool swim triathlon. Even if it is cool and rainy outside, you get warmed up from swimming 500-600 yards in a pool (at least I do) and it actually feels really good to get out into the cool air.

The Tinman out in Morris April 26 and Chain of Lakes tri in Alexendria May 3 are a perfect examples of this. Obviously as last year can show, there can still be pretty brutal conditions for this, but sometimes it can be moderate, and the swims are both pool swims. Check out some of the race reports on this site for a sample of how the conditions were. 

2014-02-02 6:45 AM

Minneapolis, MN
In my opinion it's too early. That's why I start out the season with one or 2 duathlons. Even though I much prefer a tri to a du.
2014-02-02 6:46 AM
in reply to: 0

Minneapolis, MN
Double post

Edited by peteweb55403 2014-02-02 6:46 AM
2014-05-19 3:35 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

So.. did anyone do this race?   I heard the water was 51 degrees. What's that like????

2014-05-19 4:33 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

So.. did anyone do this race?   I heard the water was 51 degrees. What's that like????

51?? omg. I can't imagine. The very first tri I ever did (inaugural Buffalo tri in 2004) had a water temp of 61 and that was #$&%* cold enough.

Anxious to hear if anyone braved it!

2014-05-19 8:32 PM
in reply to: kelpeng

New user
I competed in this race, this being my second triathlon and first time using a wetsuit... it was not fun. I lost feeling in my fingers and feet on the swim so I couldn't take my wetsuit off in my transition area. Then we got a hefty headwind on a large portion of the bike, which added to the numbness. It started to get a lot warmer and it ended up being a very nice day, just not so much in the morning.

I ended up winning my age group, but that was because I was the only one... (15-19)
2014-05-20 9:19 AM
in reply to: TheNewBlood

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by TheNewBlood I competed in this race, this being my second triathlon and first time using a wetsuit... it was not fun. I lost feeling in my fingers and feet on the swim so I couldn't take my wetsuit off in my transition area. Then we got a hefty headwind on a large portion of the bike, which added to the numbness. It started to get a lot warmer and it ended up being a very nice day, just not so much in the morning. I ended up winning my age group, but that was because I was the only one... (15-19)

Yikes!  Well, congrats on the win!

2014-05-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: TheNewBlood

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by TheNewBlood I competed in this race, this being my second triathlon and first time using a wetsuit... it was not fun. I lost feeling in my fingers and feet on the swim so I couldn't take my wetsuit off in my transition area. Then we got a hefty headwind on a large portion of the bike, which added to the numbness. It started to get a lot warmer and it ended up being a very nice day, just not so much in the morning. I ended up winning my age group, but that was because I was the only one... (15-19)

Sounds pretty unpleasant, but great job toughing it out... Congratulations! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blaine Tri thoughts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Blaine Tri results

Started by huggybear2254
Views: 1206 Posts: 4

2013-06-02 9:35 PM PBrr

blaine triathlon

Started by brickbd
Views: 1087 Posts: 5

2013-04-02 1:03 PM Me XMan

Inaugural Blaine Tri

Started by FoggyGoggles
Views: 1262 Posts: 6

2012-01-16 7:23 AM TooTallRunner

WCCO lets Paul Douglas go - your thoughts?

Started by leapdog
Views: 959 Posts: 9

2008-04-07 9:11 AM leapdog

Thoughts on MN Tri Masters (swimming club)

Started by hundoracer
Views: 960 Posts: 4

2007-01-05 7:55 PM constance
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.