General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ear Plus While Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-30 11:07 PM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: Ear Plus While Swimming
Does anybody use them? Currently training for my first tri and I seem to get horrible ear pains in my right ear. Went out and bought some ear plugs and it corrected it, but was just wondering if it's recommended for races?

2014-01-30 11:16 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ear Plus While Swimming
Plenty of people use them for OWS in cold water as they can prevent vertigo in people who are susceptible to it. (In my case, it's not rough water that triggers it, only cold water. Without them I would get out and fall flat on my face!) The silicone ones are best for that as you can mold them to your ear canal and they're less likely to come out during a rough swim start. I'd guess quite a few pool swimmers wear them as well--I do sometimes if water is cold or I just want to get used to swimming with the plugs due to an upcoming race.
2014-01-31 3:31 AM

User image

This is what happens to me going into T1 when I forget my earplugs on the swim.
Barbara Bush laughs at me as I fall on my face

Had to post it. Yanti gets a kick out of the pic
2014-01-31 5:20 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
, Michigan
I have the opposite issue. If I try to swim with earplugs, I get real dizzy and lose my water balance. To each his own.
2014-01-31 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Every swim I do is with ear plugs.  My ears leak like a sieve so I have no choice.

2014-01-31 8:17 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

I wear them every time I swim.  Keeps the water out and makes the workout more pleasant.  I have also worn them in races with no problems.

2014-01-31 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Yea I always have something in there, In the pool I have my waterproof headphones in with the Ipod going, OWS I use silicone plugs under my Cap.
MY problem is getting water out once water gets in It takes half a day or more to get it out, not that I get earaches or anything like that .

Edited by RRH_88 2014-01-31 8:26 AM
2014-01-31 9:01 AM

User image

Regular
Virginia

Yes, I wear them for every swim.  I have Meniere's disorder (an ear/balance disorder) and I need to keep water out of there.  I use the plunger-style as I find them much easier to use than the waxy balls.  Mack's makes a good plunger ear plug--a set of 4 will set you back less than $10 at swimoutlet.com

2014-01-31 9:45 AM
in reply to: MCA

User image

Extreme Veteran
For the longest time I never used them till I was training for a cold OWS and was told earplugs will help. After training and racing with them, I will not go without as they really help with keeping the water out and balance when you get out. I don't like things in my ears so it did take some time to find the ones I like and getting use to them.
2014-01-31 1:51 PM

User image

Miami
I got swimmers ear by the end of December and it took me a couple of weeks to be completely healed. After that experience, I swim with earplugs and I don't think I will swim again without them. They don't bother me (I don't think they help me with balance either as some of you mentioned) and my ears stay dry during and after the swim.

I also did a HIM last weekend and I use earplugs during the swim. No problem at all. So, if they help you, don't hesitate to use them!
2014-01-31 5:48 PM

User image

New user
I wore them for the first time for a cold OWS, and realized I had gotten used to the feeling because I had been swimming for a few months at the pool with ear buds and waterproof ipod. I can't swim without something in my ears now, indoors or out, and including all races. sooo much better.

2014-02-01 12:35 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
I thought everyone swam with ear plugs. Kind of like biking with bike shorts, and running with shoes. Only the people who don't are weird. :-)

I can't stand getting water in my ears because I can't get it back out very easily. I use the waxy, siliconey type moldable plugs. I haven't tried any others, but I really like them, so no desire to try anything else.

Funny story, I let my husband use them and told him to place them over the ear canals, not to shove them down into the ear canal. Of course, he shoves them into his ear canal - because he doesn't believe me. Guess who couldn't get them back out?

SMH

2014-02-01 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, NC
Yes, I use them. When I first started swimming I didn't and was constantly dealing with water in my ears. Now I use them all the time. It's great not having to worry about water going into my ears. I replace them once a year as they lose their seal.
2014-02-02 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4941709

I'm trying to get used to swimming without them, cause logistically it's a bit of a pain getting to start line with them in, and if you carry them you risk dropping in the sand. Also, would prefer being able to hear while swimming, since my vision sucks so bad I can't see. Having said that, swimming with them is really much more comfortable to me than without.

Regarding having water stuck in your ears for hours after a swim without - carry a small bottle of 50/50 water/isopropyl alcohol mix, squirt in your ears, and the water comes right out.
2014-02-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: modiolus

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
I always use silicone plugs now. Too many times getting sick during or right after a swim because water got in my ear. Sick, as in, I can't function for several hours because I'm so naseauted. My tri suit has these teeny tiny little mesh pockets on either side of my hip, and I just cart the ear plugs around in there before the race.
There's always been a chance for me to put them and then put my swim cap on before getting into the water for my wave. Even if I have to wear the plugs for 10 minutes before my wave is getting into the water. Same thing on a pool swim.
2014-02-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: jjupiter100

I always wear ear plugs. I have some relatively inexpensive Speedo (at least I think they are) ear plugs that just push into your ear. These are the ones that have three round 'plunger' layers and are blue-ish. They work for me. The only negative, and I don't really consider it a negative, is that you can't pull your swim cap down over your ears like most folks do. With the plunger type ear plugs in, the stems stick out a bit and it's difficult (at least for me) to then pull my swim cap down over my ears, so I don't. I know that causes a bit more drag, but I'm not all that worried about that incremental drag....and if you saw my swim times, you know I have bigger problems that the drag created by the stems of my ear plugs...

But long story short, I always wear ear plugs and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

2014-02-03 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Absolutely. I use the little plug ones for pool training and i use the kind you can get (wax type) from pharmacy section of any store for OWS and races. Coming out of water in race, I strip them out and dispose of them. I never swim without them. I know some people can go without, but I don't like water in my head/ears.
2014-02-03 10:28 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I use the christmas tree type. I CAN swim without them, but I prefer to have them in.

I'm going to take this to the next level, though.

I CANNOT swim without my nose plug. Seriously, it messes me up. I think I'm in the minority with that, though. Well, I can swim without a nose plug, but I cannot swim laps or race without. I do not plug my nose when I jump or dive into water, it's only with swimming laps. Does that make me weird?
2014-02-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Haymarket, VA

I actually went to an audiologist and had custom molds done for my ear plugs.

2014-02-03 3:13 PM

I used to get ear infections frequently until I starting wearing ear plugs. Once I started using ear plugs I stopped getting infections. I don't wear ear plugs during races because I want to be able to hear in case of emergency. There is a small risk that I will get an infection, yet this has not happened yet. I think it is work the risk just to be able to hear during a race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ear Plus While Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

3 weeks til first triathlon and I have an ear infection and swimmers ear

Started by aspeelma
Views: 1918 Posts: 10

2009-07-06 4:41 PM Plainsman AU

Swim caps with ear covers?

Started by krludwig
Views: 3934 Posts: 11

2008-02-05 5:17 PM Aikidoman

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1851 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Ear plugs for swim?

Started by homan
Views: 855 Posts: 6

2006-07-08 7:44 PM racinmason

Swim caps over ears or just above?

Started by Casey Shaw
Views: 11035 Posts: 18

2004-07-31 11:11 PM adder720
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...