General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some advice on weight training for HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-31 8:34 AM

User image

Subject: Looking for some advice on weight training for HIM
What's up everyone. Last year was my first HIM and I performed well, but looking back now realize I neglected strength training. I'm doing another HIM in June this year and am getting ready to begin my formal training.

I've been trying to put together a strength training routine I can do a few times per week but am coming up short. I was hoping you all could recommend a few different 5-6 exercise circuits that would be beneficial to incorporate.

I've read through the forums and many talk about the different exercises they recommend, but none are actual routines. I've looked at some books and again many have the exercises to do, but not in a specific grouping or routine.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2014-02-17 6:28 AM
in reply to: #4941842

Subject: RE: Looking for some advice on weight training for HIM
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, and triathlons too. But have spent a fair bit of time in the gym over the years. If your looking at training strength day 3 times a week, try a push, pull, legs routine. Push= chest, shoulders, tris. Pull=back and bis. Legs=well.... Legs haha, squats! Works well for someone starting lifting. Focus on big compound excercises like bench press, Milatry press, rows, squats, deadlifts etc. they use lots of muscles not like isolation workouts. Hope this helps mate
2014-02-28 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4950586

User image

New user
Here is what I'm doing while training for HIMs. Keep in my this training is not designed "for" HIM or even triathlon, I just enjoy lifting and overall feel better when I do it, so I like to do what I can to keep it up.

Monday: (1) Bench press; warm up sets of 12 reps, 10; work sets of 8, 6, 6, 12; one minute rest in between. (2) deadlift; warm up sets of 12, 9, 6, 3, 1; work set of 5 reps. 1-2 minutes rest in between, except before the work set i rest fully however long i need. (3) core

Wednesday: (1) weighted dips; sets of 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, and + until exhaustion. The first 2 and last set are body weight only, for the sets in between i add weight. 1-2 minute rest in between. (2) squats; warm up sets of 5, 3, 2, 2, work sets of 5, 5, 5. (3) core.

For core, I alternate between a detailed routine i found on BT with 15 or so movements, and sets of weighted crunches. I usually do core on at least one of my s/b/r only days too, so i'm doing it 3 days a week.

With my all my blah blah blah this is all the lifting I have time for (if i had a way to do pull ups currently I would make time for those too). I tried a plan last year with a little more involved while training for HIM and stopped lifting around June. Hopefully with this lighter plan I'll continue through the year.
2014-02-28 8:32 AM
in reply to: reverend5150

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I try to get to the gym twice a week, up until a couple of weeks prior to a race.  I like Mark Allen's routine: http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/mark-allen-s-12-best-strength-exercises?page=1

Out of curiosity, specifically, how do you think that neglecting strength training adversely affected your HIM performance?

Good luck,.

Mark

2014-10-12 8:49 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Thanks for the suggesting that article. Really seems like a great set of workouts to do for strength training this offseason
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some advice on weight training for HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for help with weight training for half ironman from veterans

Started by reverend5150
Views: 1504 Posts: 4

2013-02-04 8:20 AM JohnnyKay

Started by reverend5150
Views: 352 Posts: 1

2013-02-03 7:07 AM reverend5150

Started by reverend5150
Views: 285 Posts: 1

2013-02-03 7:06 AM reverend5150

Started by reverend5150
Views: 397 Posts: 1

2013-02-03 7:05 AM reverend5150

Started by reverend5150
Views: 343 Posts: 1

2013-02-03 7:05 AM reverend5150
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.