Gulf Winds Track Club
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 10m
Overall Rank = 310/360
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Few sips of coffee, banana, half of peanut butter and wheat bread sandwich. Other half put in my race belt for course nutrition. Sipped small amounts of water.
Event warmup:

Walked around, very mild stretching, lots of "hellos" to friends I kept running into-- which was totally awesome, I didn't realize I had met so many people in such a short time. Visited restroom twice.
Run
  • 5h 10m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I drank water at every station, but on the return run not every station was still serving water. I felt a little thirsty at mile 20 and got a little dizzy when I slowed down to walk. I ate he rest of my sandwich, drank my electrolytes and downed some water (feeling dissipated within a mile).
What would you do differently?:

Getting the flu reduced the frequency of my runs and I didn't get the long runs in that I needed. Next time, I need to focus on getting those long runs and frequent runs in-- This will be key to keeping my IT band from giving me grief.

I would also carry more water.
Post race
Warm down:

Found the kiddos, drank H24 rebuild Endurance with water, did not sit down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band pain

Last updated: 2014-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
05:10:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 310/360
Performance: Good
I averaged about 10:30 minute miles with potty break until mile 17, that was when my right IT band flared up. After that, I had to slow down to a walk/jog and my avg pace increased to 13:45 with my slowest mile being 14:23. Miles 21-mile 24 were the hardest miles, but there were several people having a much harder time than me.
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-02-03 5:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: Tallahassee Marathon

2014-02-03 6:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Tallahassee Marathon

Congratulations on crossing the finish line to your first marathon, Jenn!!   26.2 miles is HARD but I loved your determination to go through with it after being sick and persevering to the end through your IT flare-up.   I'm sure having Pam run the last few miles with you was a boost.  Friends are wonderful.       Now use this achievement to get you to the start line of IM Tahoo with confidence.   Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Edited by bswcpa 2014-02-03 6:18 AM
2014-02-03 7:52 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Tallahassee Marathon
Jenn congrats on finishing your first marathon. You did a great job overcoming the flare up of your ITB and hanging in there and finishing, not an easy thing to do. You looked pretty strong in your finishing photo. Like Brenda stated marathons are hard enough when you get to the start line healthy and they are even harder when you have to deal with a few set backs like you did in your training. You should be very proud of what you were able to accomplish and I'm sure you know we are all proud of you. Marathons take a lot out of you because you're going so hard regardless of how fast or slow you are. Take your were deserved rest and then get ready for your next big challenge, IMLT.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tallahassee Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tallahassee Marathon

Started by Pink Socks
Views: 921 Posts: 1

2013-02-10 9:05 PM Pink Socks

Tallahassee Half Marathon

Started by jenbmosley
Views: 1089 Posts: 8

2013-02-07 9:56 AM jenbmosley

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 970 Posts: 1

2012-02-18 11:40 PM tbcoffee

Started by nrhodesent
Views: 1064 Posts: 1

2011-02-07 12:07 PM nrhodesent

Springtime Tallahassee

Started by fsujen28
Views: 1256 Posts: 1

2009-03-29 5:12 PM fsujen28
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area