Kinane Events
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 19m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 277/868
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, 5 and waited for the alarm to go off. Took a warm bath, got dressed and took the hotel shuttle to the race start. Ate corn thin with some PB and Better 'n' Peanut butter, jelly and banana.
Event warmup:

Stood in bathroom line. Didn't take that long. Found my friend, said bye to DH and warmed up my legs, leg swings, lunges and just loosened up. Got in the bathroom line again, saw some other people we knew, chatted.

On the way into the wave start realized I'd left my hand held water bottle with my DH in the bag. I didn't let it rattle me. Just figured I'd be stopping at the aid stations way more often.
Run
  • 2h 19m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Started running with MK and legs felt heavy right away. I just didn't feel good. I had tapered for this run and had been sick last week, so maybe that was why. MK gave me an electrolyte and I ate a couple of bloks. Still felt heavy and slow. Eventually I encouraged MK to take off because I was just not feeling it. I plugged along, taking the gel at mile 5 and then another 1/2 at mile 8-9 and the last half around mile 11-12. I just knew to keep putting one foot in front of the other and I'd eventually finish. I did stop at practically every aid station. They had cliff bloks, too, which helped. I had a bit of a kick at the end, but not as much as usual. This was probably the most difficult 1/2 I've done since I did my first one ~6 years ago. My time was better than that one though. I wasn't going for a PR, so I wasn't too disappointed. Lesson learned--acceptance. Accept where you are and just be there with it.

I thought of negative thoughts but decided not to dwell on them. I did feel a bit better mid-race, around mile 8. But it wasn't very pleasant.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to hyrdration prior to the run -- days leading up to the run and then remember to get my drink to carry with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my water bottle, bags of treats and looked around for DH and MK. Didn't see them, so wanted to get back to the pick up spot for the hotel shuttle. Walked quickly and got to stretch out some. Got there at 10:31 and ended up waiting and stretching. Once I got back to the hotel each muscle I'd twist or move started to cramp -- dehydration.

Had a tall skinny vanilla latte and a grande mocha light frap from *bucks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydrated going in (I think).

Event comments:

I just had a tough day. The event was well organized and well attended by volunteers. The course was kind of boring and I doubt I'd do it again. The surfboard medal is pretty cool though. Probably one of my favorites, right behind the Tiffany medal/necklace from the Nike Women's Half.

Last updated: 2014-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:19:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/868
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
3720 out of 9381 women 3 Mi: 30:21 Pace: 10:07 5 Mi: 49:55 Pace: 9:59 6 Mi: Pace: 9 Mi: 1:33:00 Pace: 10:20 11 Mi: 1:57:07 Pace: 10:39 12 Mi: 2:06:49 Pace: 10:35
Course: A long stretch of straight with a little diversion into a neighborhood and up/down a little hill, then back along the straight stretch of beach that looked like it went forever. Thought the turnaround would never come.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-03 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Surf City USA Half Marathon

2014-02-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4943588

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Half Marathon
Good work on toughing it out on a day when the stars didn't align for you.

(For what it's worth, if you were feeling like you were struggling right from the start, then it seems less likely that you were having dy-hydration issues. I ran the race too, and the temps were pretty good, though the headwind was a pain for the last 5 miles.)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Surf City USA Half Marathon

Started by moose441
Views: 1306 Posts: 2

2010-02-08 1:34 PM LeahDD

Started by cppike79
Views: 1371 Posts: 3

2010-02-08 7:18 PM cppike79

Started by JoeBruin88
Views: 1210 Posts: 2

2010-02-07 10:03 PM LeahDD

Started by TriAgainJim
Views: 1532 Posts: 3

2010-02-07 9:22 PM TriBabe2006

Started by TriBabe2006
Views: 1517 Posts: 3

2010-02-07 11:02 PM TriAgainJim
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.