General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2013 Age Group National Championship - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
USAT
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 37s
Overall Rank = 1072/1099
Age Group = Athena < 40
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 and got dressed in tri suit and sweats over it (cold in Milwaukee for this girl now!). I went up to the kitchen and made some coffee and a PopTart (unfrosted strawberry - really mom?). Packed up some last minute things and headed down to the race site with my dad who was volunteering. We found parking pretty close in a volunteer lot. Walked over to transition and set up my transition area. Realized I forgot a water bottle!
Event warmup:

The "find a water bottle scramble" is going to be my event warm up. Ran over to the volunteer and expo area to see if any of the vendors were set up. Nope. Dad suggested checking out the bike maintenance area, so I did that. The bike maintenance people had water bottles! Bought one, ran back to transition, filled it, and got it on my bike all before it closed.

After that, I had a lot of time to kill (an hour and 45 minutes) between the start of the race and my wave. Hung out, chatted with other athletes, and relaxed as much as I could.
Swim
  • 22m 22s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

With two waves left before mine, I started getting ready. I had a Gu, put on my first cap, and headed towards the start to group with the other women in my group. The wave two in front of mine headed down to the water for their warm up and then over to the start. Then they had to wait and wait and wait. Eventually, they got out for a 20 minute delay. Everyone was still waiting and had no idea what was going on. Police boats and dive teams came into the bay and started patrolling while the other boats went to the dock. We heard rumors that they were looking for a swimmer from an early wave who hadn't gotten his bike. After what felt like forever, they announced that swim waves would resume in 20 minutes. Ran over to the bathroom, went, and then headed back. It was about an hour delay from when my wave was supposed to start to when it actually started.

By the time it did start, I was already pretty tired. I was not excited about the race anymore and really dreading getting in the water. I opted not to do the 5 minute swim warm up as you had to spend another 5 minutes waiting in the water for the wave to start. Once I jumped in, it was really cold. I took a few of those first 5 minutes getting my breath under control. One of the women said that she thought about not wearing a wetsuit but, "that would be really crazy." Guilty as charged I guess.

The gun finally went off and I was off. I let some of the people around me go first so I didn't get too caught up with everyone. I tried to stay on feet to help with sighting and to draft. I thought I did pretty well, although I ended up kind of off course to the first buoy. It felt like it took forever. Once I got to the first one, I headed towards the bridge. At this point, the next wave was catching me and I was caught up with the men. Not so fun, but I tried to draft off of them. Halfway between the bridge and the next buoy, the mens' under 24 group caught me. There was WAY more contact with this group, including the guy who tried to give me a prostate exam (I think he needs to go back to anatomy).

Finally made it around the lower corner of the course and headed back towards the bridge. I was near a man from the wave after me who suddenly started doing breaststroke, and I got kicked square in my right ribs. Tons of pain and I figured that my ribs were bruised or cracked. Had to stop for a minute to catch my breath and not drown. Kept swimming, although much slower than before.

I finally made it to the exit and saw I wasn't last. Used the volunteers to hoist me out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a wetsuit
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Long run to T1. Had no problems finding the right row or my bike. Didn't have to sit down to get everything on.
Bike
  • 51m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.54 mile/hr
Comments:

My quads were really sore for the first few miles. I'd like to blame the chili pepper, Salty, and Switch for that one. ;)

Tried to keep pedaling and keep cadence high. I was averaging 17.5 mph for the first 2 miles. Passed my dad's volunteer station at mile 1.5 and heard him yell "GO #1!". That made me laugh. He started calling the kids by numbers and I'm the oldest so #1. Also funny for the Star Trek Next Generation reference. :)

Around mile 2 - 3 was the large hill by the water treatment plant. I really hate th
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Nothing like coming back to see ALL the athletes cheering for you because they are waiting for the last 3 bikers to get in so they can get their bike out. It was actually pretty cool. Everyone cheered and no one made me feel bad. I had a pretty good transition.
Run
  • 38m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2013-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:22 | 750 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 1055/1099
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit - no wetsuit (brrr....)
Course: Start at Discovery World, head straight under bridge, go further, turn, head back under bridge, and up a steep ramp
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:17 | 12.43 miles | 14.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 1079/1099
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:38:29 | 03.11 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 1070/1099
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-02-04 9:18 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: 2013 Age Group National Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championships

Started by Gearwhore
Views: 1628 Posts: 4

2006-07-16 9:38 PM Det

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship

Started by markdills38
Views: 1924 Posts: 8

2006-07-16 5:29 PM evil lizzie

Started by Blackbud
Views: 1944 Posts: 7

2006-07-11 10:14 AM TriForrestTri

Started by coredump
Views: 2549 Posts: 20

2006-07-11 9:38 PM markdills38

USAT National Age Group Championship

Started by triman50
Views: 1677 Posts: 2

2005-08-15 6:39 AM KSMITH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.