General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ebay aero wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-04 10:46 PM

User image

Subject: Ebay aero wheels
Anyone have any experience with the ebay "knock off" carbon wheels? I see some very cheap ones and looked at some video reviews and they seem "ok" but no data to back it up. My goal was to get a Flo wheel but they sell out so stupidly fast I doubt it's possible (spent 5 minutes trying to get it to accept my zipcode and by then they sold out...grrr...). I know aero wheels aren't supposed to make that much of a difference so I can't see spending loads on money on them but then again I don't want the thing failing on me either. Right now I ride and race on OEM Felt TTR4, which are 30mm deep. I've never ridden on anything deeper but I was thinking of a 60/90 combo and there are deals to be had but also risk that comes with not being from a well respected company. Has anyone got these before and have any positive or negative results? If so, which "brand" or seller did you get them from?

Edited by Blastman 2014-02-04 10:47 PM

2014-02-05 12:45 AM
in reply to: Blastman

Subject: RE: Ebay aero wheels
Originally posted by Blastman

Anyone have any experience with the ebay "knock off" carbon wheels? I see some very cheap ones and looked at some video reviews and they seem "ok" but no data to back it up. My goal was to get a Flo wheel but they sell out so stupidly fast I doubt it's possible (spent 5 minutes trying to get it to accept my zipcode and by then they sold out...grrr...). I know aero wheels aren't supposed to make that much of a difference so I can't see spending loads on money on them but then again I don't want the thing failing on me either. Right now I ride and race on OEM Felt TTR4, which are 30mm deep. I've never ridden on anything deeper but I was thinking of a 60/90 combo and there are deals to be had but also risk that comes with not being from a well respected company. Has anyone got these before and have any positive or negative results? If so, which "brand" or seller did you get them from?

Try http://www.shop-yishunbike.com/

You'll get people trying to tell you that they will fall apart while you're flying down a hill at 70km/hr etc etc The fact is "knock-off" frames & wheels have been coming out of China for years now and companies like Yishun are making very good quality carbon frames & wheels. There are a lot of very happy riders out there. There are people out there who have had frames crack, but so have people with $10k genuine bikes. I'd do your research and make sure you get them from a place that has a bit of history and a good reputation as opposed to some random, cheap ebay wheels.
2014-02-05 12:50 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

New user
penticton
most of the wheels will be fine. The problem come when you actually run into a issue, then, there is no aftersale service....send the wheel back to china for exchange etc.... it s where the discount end up costing you more. but if you are lucky and dont run into any issue.... you will get 80-90% of the performance and 30-40% of the price.

Personally, i would go with flo...great people...real engineering...and get faster on your computer!
2014-02-05 4:52 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Veteran

Check out 2Quick http://www.av.ozarkdreams.com/

I have been riding a set of 50,s for over two years. For what its worth, I'm not a small guy either @ 205. 

Tell Anthony I sent you.

He knows if your not happy (with your wheels or service) your friends will not buy wheels from him... (I have had ZERO issues w/ my 50's)

(0493_25746.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0493_25746.jpg (1015KB - 1 downloads)
2014-02-05 6:43 AM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have a friend who bought a set of Chinese carbon wheels for his new Specialized Roadie. He really wanted carbon wheels but choked on the price of a set of Zipps or Heds. Overall he is pretty happy, I think the only real downsides are the hub quality and what the Chinese dealer will do if you have a problem with the wheels. But from what I have seen, they are pretty solid and well built.
2014-02-05 7:04 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I have a friend who bought a set of Chinese carbon wheels for his new Specialized Roadie. He really wanted carbon wheels but choked on the price of a set of Zipps or Heds. Overall he is pretty happy, I think the only real downsides are the hub quality and what the Chinese dealer will do if you have a problem with the wheels. But from what I have seen, they are pretty solid and well built.

There are some built with Novatec hubs, which are good, not the best. I'm lucky to have a good wheel builder in town who has a lot of experience, so honestly I would buy the rims, have him check them out and build them with my spoke and hub choice. I'd feel a lot better about the quality control if that were the case.

2014-02-05 7:17 AM

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
I went this route a few years ago. The hubs are terrible and it goes out of true often. I ended up having to replace the rear hub after a few hundred miles. Needless to saw I wish I went another route. If I had to do it again I would buy from Williams, PSImet, Boyd, Reynolds, or even a used set of Zipps, HED, or Enve. My 2 cents.
2014-02-05 7:29 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Blastman Anyone have any experience with the ebay "knock off" carbon wheels? I see some very cheap ones and looked at some video reviews and they seem "ok" but no data to back it up. My goal was to get a Flo wheel but they sell out so stupidly fast I doubt it's possible (spent 5 minutes trying to get it to accept my zipcode and by then they sold out...grrr...). I know aero wheels aren't supposed to make that much of a difference so I can't see spending loads on money on them but then again I don't want the thing failing on me either. Right now I ride and race on OEM Felt TTR4, which are 30mm deep. I've never ridden on anything deeper but I was thinking of a 60/90 combo and there are deals to be had but also risk that comes with not being from a well respected company. Has anyone got these before and have any positive or negative results? If so, which "brand" or seller did you get them from?
If you really want FLO's simply checkout ST classifieds daily and you'll find FLO wheels showing up periodically.

2014-02-05 7:34 AM
in reply to: jbholcom

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jbholcom I went this route a few years ago. The hubs are terrible and it goes out of true often. I ended up having to replace the rear hub after a few hundred miles. Needless to saw I wish I went another route. If I had to do it again I would buy from Williams, PSImet, Boyd, Reynolds, or even a used set of Zipps, HED, or Enve. My 2 cents.

I have a set of Boyd wheels. Very happy with them. I was able to send them back to Boyd last year and have the hub replaced with a PT. You really can't beat their service, either Boyd or his wife will answer the phone/email themselves.

2014-02-05 8:10 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master

I messed around with some knock off wheels for a bit. I have to say that the brake track on the set that I had did not hold up very well. I bought another pair from Hong Fu http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/ and they are pretty solid rims. I have used and agree with a previous post that the standard hubs are junk. One of the guys that built a set for me noticed that the hubs that they came with should not actually work with the rim and would cause tearing in the carbon over time. I had mine rebuilt with white industries and they are smooth for a CX wheel.

On my road and TT bike I use Boyd Wheels like Brian. The service is amazing the wheel is the exact wheel and mold from the same factory as three top tier wheels at a fraction of the price. I have a set of 60mm carbon tubbies that I run as everyday wheels on my road bike and a 60/85mm clinchers for my tri bike.

2014-02-05 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Blastman Anyone have any experience with the ebay "knock off" carbon wheels? I see some very cheap ones and looked at some video reviews and they seem "ok" but no data to back it up. My goal was to get a Flo wheel but they sell out so stupidly fast I doubt it's possible (spent 5 minutes trying to get it to accept my zipcode and by then they sold out...grrr...). I know aero wheels aren't supposed to make that much of a difference so I can't see spending loads on money on them but then again I don't want the thing failing on me either. Right now I ride and race on OEM Felt TTR4, which are 30mm deep. I've never ridden on anything deeper but I was thinking of a 60/90 combo and there are deals to be had but also risk that comes with not being from a well respected company. Has anyone got these before and have any positive or negative results? If so, which "brand" or seller did you get them from?

I actually bought a used Chinese carbon wheel from someone for really cheap ($125).  I've raced a lot on it in several distances including Ironman.  I've had no issues with it.

2014-02-05 11:04 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Thanks for the relies guys. I may pull the trigger. I'm going to try one last time for a Flo set or a used pair that's reasonably priced but it seems like they aren't too bad of a deal. $300-400 for a set of cheaper wheels that may fail after a few races or $1-3K for expensive ones which still need to be send in for $100-200 repairs after a while. The only thing I'm worried about is the cheap hub. I saw a you tube video on them and those suckers are LOUD. I know some high end ones are louder but I'm sure they are just cheap. I have some time to decide and I rather have them in my arsenal months before my races so I can iron out any problem that may occur.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ebay aero wheels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheel cover with non-aero front wheel?

Started by link5485
Views: 1230 Posts: 7

2010-10-24 3:58 PM ditchdoc

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5463 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

Aero helmet v. aero wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by wdpresta
Views: 5672 Posts: 32

2009-02-26 4:15 PM smilford

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1778 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3543 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.