General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-06 4:13 AM

Subject: Strength Training
Hi Everyone!

New to triathlons here, total beginner!

I've never really done strength training before, except for the many videos of various exercises you can do at home etc.

Anyway, everything I read talks about recovery time when strength training. But my experience has always been (in the videos) to do a bunch of different exercises/lifts one after the other and then take a short break.

I'm tri'ing for weight loss, but I'm also interested in becoming stronger. Should I be resting between sets, even if I'm switching muscle groups (i.e. do a set for abs, rest, set for chest, rest, set for legs, rest)? Or should I be grouping my sets?

Thanks for the help!

Yaz

2014-02-06 10:44 AM
in reply to: yazimariel

User image

Subject: RE: Strength Training
Just my experience, but the answer for me is yes to your question. At least one workout a week the only rest I take is between machines or the weight lifting area. Most of the time, though I do take a 30 to 45 second rest. It also depends on effort. I am a data junky, so i wear a HR monitor during strength training too. It warns me when I drop below a certain rate, when I do I shorten the rest period. Or increase the effort and/or weight. The thing I noticed was that I had to be careful with too much muscle mass gain. I am a bigger guy and notice my weight and my measurements of my chest and arms rising when I did too much weight. So, I did less weight and more reps and did them faster too.

Like most things, it is listening to your body, and seeing what works for you. I am still trying to figure it out myself, so take what you want from this.

Do you use a training plan or an app to help you train if so which one? I use Gain fitness app.
2014-02-06 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4945103

Subject: RE: Strength Training
Thanks for answering! Right now I'm following the Beginner to Sprint 8 month plan from this site. The other programs I've used in the past seem more about tracking and les about training, so my knowledge is very piece meal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

upper body strength

Started by geobest
Views: 793 Posts: 1

2014-02-05 10:42 AM geobest

Strength Training and weightloss

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 3151 Posts: 25

2009-09-16 8:50 PM jonnyfive82

Will I lose strength?

Started by Offthegrid
Views: 1077 Posts: 6

2007-01-13 10:00 PM KendallF

At home strength training

Started by kesa28
Views: 775 Posts: 4

2006-12-04 2:25 PM coachese

Core Strength Training

Started by LacrosseMomAmy
Views: 755 Posts: 5

2005-07-04 1:56 AM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Can you triathlon train AND strength train for mass?