General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DeSoto skin cooler helmet beanie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-07 2:38 AM

User image

Subject: DeSoto skin cooler helmet beanie
Have anyone tried this? Does it work?
And does it work even if you have thick hair under or should it have skin contact (or do I need to cut my hair short )?

http://www.desotosport.com/product/shb

2014-02-07 2:49 AM
in reply to: knuta99

Subject: RE: DeSoto skin cooler helmet beanie
I use mine and like it. Hell sometimes I wear it in the basement on the trainer. As far as hair length, I did keep my hair short, but my last cut was about a year ago. I have not had the beanie and helment on in months, so I am not sure on the lonfger hair.

Joe
2014-02-07 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I have a black one. I find it works best on SUNNY & HOT days.

Here is how it works: It breaks down the beads of sweat onto a smaller beads or a film that has a significantly greater surface area than droplets on your scalp and hair. This allows for an increased rate of evaporation, and evaporation, being endothermic, cools your noggin.

I find its most effective when I'm shaved bald (which is my 'hair' style in the summer). If you have a big curly afro it will be less effective.
I also like to splash water on it at every aid station. I tried wearing it under my aero helmet but it did not seem to help much.

2014-02-07 2:13 PM

User image

I use one and it works well.  I have a buzz cut (clippers with no guard) so I'm not sure about the hair issue, but it keeps the sun off my scalp and sweat out of my eyes.  I also like it because it's not too tight.  I had an under armour skull cap that worked well for keeping sweat out, but on longer rides the pressure of the elastic on my head started to bother me.

2014-02-07 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2014-02-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Do you guys wear it when you run as well?

2014-02-14 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
The only time I use it is for running.
I don't like it for bike leg since I find that it does not help much under an aero helmet
For running I find it protects my noggin from the sun and sweat since I shave my head.
2014-05-21 10:03 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

I ended up buying both the helmet beanie and the shirt.

The shirt is awesome if you can put some ice in the pockets on the back. On the bike it is also good if you can douse yourself with some water - it feels cool especially on your arms. But I wasn't quite able to feel much cooling effect from my sweat only, and I sweat a lot! That said, I did my race in 38 degrees Celsius so maybe it was just too hot... But it did protect against the sun. I did not put on any sun protection under and was fine after the race, my wife got burned and tanned seriously even with sunscreen lotion 50 on.

The helmet beanie I only used for the run. I have hair, even though I cut it shortish. Again not much cooling effect from my sweat, most of the time it felt dry and warm, BUT it did keep sweat from running into my eyes. So I was happy with that. I think it was just too hot for anything to have any cooling feeling. When I poured water on it, it felt coolish for a few minutes though, before all water evaporated.

All said and done, I will continue using them. The helmet beanie because it keeps sweat from pouring into my eyes, and both do have a cooling feeling when drenched. The back pockets for ice on the shirt are king though, and the sun protection is nice. But it was hard for me to feel if my sweat alone was enough to get cooler. Might be it works even better in slightly lower temperatures.

(0674_28261.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0674_28261.jpg (482KB - 0 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DeSoto skin cooler helmet beanie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Daddy, you need one of the cool helmets like all the fast guys have"

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1561 Posts: 11

2012-06-30 12:46 AM Walkingtowin

Are the pricier helmets that much cooler ?

Started by tri42
Views: 1855 Posts: 15

2011-07-22 3:14 AM DanielG

De Soto Skin Cooler - Real or just hype?

Started by jsiegs
Views: 7418 Posts: 17

2011-04-12 1:21 PM Mrs. brown_dog_us

DeSoto cool fabric question

Started by ChrisM
Views: 462 Posts: 1

2008-04-03 12:04 PM ChrisM

Loving the AquaVitae BT Skin - Click 'Skins', then Click 'Try It"

Started by iTRI
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2005-02-11 8:23 AM iTRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.

date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
comments : 1
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.

date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.