General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-07 8:54 AM

Subject: Ironman Question
Hi All

My first post so here it goes....

Im training for my first ironman on the 14th Sept this year and wanted to know if it would be advisable or not to compete in a half ironman on the 29th June?

If I did compete in this I would then have 10 weeks before the ironman.

I would like to do it but don't want to overly disrupt my training towards the ironman.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

2014-02-07 9:12 AM
in reply to: carts1334

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Question
I am not a coach, just an age grouper, so take my comments at that value.

Last year I did my first IM. I did IM Wisconsin, which was on September 8th. I used a coach for the entire season and he had me do a half IM distance race on July 13th. This was only 8 weeks before my IM. He said it was a perfect time and fit well into my training schedule. We practiced pacing, nutrition, transitions and it was a good test of my fitness at that point.

That is my personal experience. It may or may not work for you.

Dwayne
2014-02-07 9:52 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
You can absolutely do it if you want to. I didn't do one in training leading up to my first IM though I had done one two years previous. Every person is different so it depends on how it fits in your training plan and whether you race it or use it as a training day.
2014-02-07 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I am planning on doing the Boulder 70.3 on June 15th and the Boulder IM (also my first IM) on August 3rd. From what I have read 6-8 weeks is more than enough time to recover and doing the 70.3 beforehand is a good judge of fitness. From a running perspective I have always run a HM 3-4 weeks before a marathon as a good judge of my fitness.
2014-02-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
In general, you should be good to do a HIM 10 weeks out from your IM. What you will want to consider is how you recover. The weeks from 2-12 weeks out from an IM (more or less) are weeks of big volume training in most plans. A HIM can be a good test of fitness, a way to gauge pacing, and to test your nutrition plan. Note, however, that there is a big difference between the HIM and an IM, so its not a perfect test of those elements. What you don't want is to have a long recovery period, so that the HIM in week 10 causes you to miss big volume in weeks 9, 8 etc. If that happens, then it might not be worth doing the HIM.
2014-02-07 3:03 PM

User image

10 weeks would be ideal IMHO.  I wouldn't go any closer than 8 weeks unless you have previous IM experience.  Meaning you already have a good idea for pacing, nutrition, and handling the long stuff.

Take an easy week after the HIM, and you still have 7 weeks of solid training before a 2 week taper.  So within those 7 weeks, you can have two 3 week builds, and another (optional) easy week in between.

2014-02-07 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I did something similar last year, HIM in early June, and IM in mid-August.

I'd say the way I saw it was 2 distinctly separate races, because you are far out from your IM.

So essentially you will train up for the HIM, and recover...then ease back into the IM plan and continue till your race in Sept.

However, you will probably feel like the HIM effects will be long gone after a month, so really no fitness benefit other than a mental prep for the IM.

If you want the HIM, it breaks up the monotony of a long IM training plan, and shouldn't hurt you for the IM.
2014-02-07 6:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

There's no reason why you can't do one but the question is why are you doing one?  What does your training plan call for?  Are you looking for experience?  Do you want to practice pacing, nutrition, etc.? 

You don't have to do one because "that's what your supposed to do."  You may learn some things that will help you in your IM but the two aren't necessarily comparable.  You also cut a big hole out of your training schedule because of the taper, race, and recovery.  If you want to do it, take a look at your training plan for that weekend and see what you'd be missing and if you can take the hit.

I did a HIM before my IM and it was good and bad.  I learned some invaluable nutrition issues but it severely shook my confidence as I had a terrible race.  I'm doing IM again this year and am not going to do one beforehand...

2014-02-07 11:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Salem
I didn't do any racing during my training for my ironman. Began training in Dec. 2012and raced at the end of July of 2013. Number one another race added into what already was going to be an expensive trip to do the IM was not worth it. I felt I'd get better info. Just by training and figuring out my game plan that way. Number two I didn't want to risk an injury. I was already seeing a Physical Therapist and a massage therapist monthly to stay in the training game. I at least wanted to get to the starting line injury free. Number three the recovery it would take I think would have been too much and interruped my training.

I did fine. My game plan A and B worked well and I finished four minutes before my stretch goal of 15 hrs. I actually negative split my run. Each of the three laps was faster than the prior. Beat my swim goal of 1:15 swam a 1:10 and was 7 min. Over my bike goal of 7:00 hrs.

Good luck.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2014-02-07 11:30 PM
2014-02-12 1:53 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
I did my 1st iron distance race last Aug and did a half in the build up in may - slightly longer gap but it just fitted into my training plan - i used it as a long training day to test some nutrition and just to see where I was at in comparrison to the previous HIM I did. The following weeks training was modified slightly with one extra recovery day but then it was straight back into the plan.
In my opinion at that stage of IM training I was able to race the distance and still train through with the plan without having too many effects. Its also just nice to have a race or two in the middle of training to reward yourself for all the hard work!!
2014-02-12 4:07 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

Age grouper here..I did a half 10 wks out for both my full distance ..while as some have said it is not "necessary" and there IS a huge difference between the 1/2 & the full..I believe it was valuable for several reasons..

testing gear, plan, pacing...nutrition/hydration in race conditions vs training conditions...confidence. I did not take a long "recovery" period..treated race day more like  a long brick training day..

also, its a LONG training season if there are no races built in to it! Racing is FUN!

2014-02-12 6:34 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by metafizx I did something similar last year, HIM in early June, and IM in mid-August. I'd say the way I saw it was 2 distinctly separate races, because you are far out from your IM. So essentially you will train up for the HIM, and recover...then ease back into the IM plan and continue till your race in Sept. However, you will probably feel like the HIM effects will be long gone after a month, so really no fitness benefit other than a mental prep for the IM. If you want the HIM, it breaks up the monotony of a long IM training plan, and shouldn't hurt you for the IM.

x2. Ten weeks is almost perfect for most people. If the HIM doesn't go well, you have some long rides and runs to get nutrition in order and your confidence back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman question?

Started by nccgrap
Views: 1550 Posts: 12

2008-09-14 1:14 PM Steve-

Ironman - question on attire

Started by bigKarl
Views: 1381 Posts: 16

2007-08-24 1:46 PM LaurenSU02

First ironman questions

Started by kellc09
Views: 1298 Posts: 8

2006-09-13 11:27 AM awol

Half-Ironman questions

Started by Fred D
Views: 2175 Posts: 19

2006-09-10 11:43 AM PennState

Ironman Question

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1635 Posts: 19

2006-05-09 6:15 PM sandyigood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.