2014-02-10 2:06 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: How long did it take..

"Well" is relative.

After a few months, I figured out I could eliminate my kick by using a pull buoy in the pool and a wetsuit in the lake.  From that point on, for more than a year really, I only swam "well" with some help. 

At some point I started to eliminate the pull buoy in practice. Then I had to learn the lesson about not kicking too hard.  Once I did that I plateaued with speed but added comfort with distance.

This was the combination of several different sorts of lessons and a LOT of time trying different things in the pool.  Making small changes to form is where I have made the most progress, like learning how it feel to have a good pull.  I will never regret those days with the pull buoy "crutch."

All this said, I have always been behind the curve in the water, so I like to think of myself as the worst case example.  I used a nose clip for years and can easily panic in the water.   I had a bad experience with lessons as a kid and when I hit the pool to start training for tris it was the first real attempt at swimming with my face in the water, so I was definitely starting from scratch!

Good luck!  Learning to swim well (enough) has been the single most satisfying outcome of deciding to do triathlon. 

2014-02-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4946150

User image

I tell the new triathletes that want to get better to expect to spend 18-24 months working very hard in the pool to get better. Swim with a team, don't swim alone, find an experienced swim coach and work hard with a lot of consistency.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Tim Floyd
2014-02-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's subjective.  I'll let you know when it happens.

I was "acceptable" since being a kid.  Can get out of the water in the top 25% or so in a race (which to many may be "good").  But considering I'm taking instruction and they are completely revamping my technique?  I don't ever feel like I was "good" now and just scraped by.

2014-02-10 5:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I still haven't.

I can swim and when I stick with the training I can stretch out my distances, but I have come to terms with the fact that I'll never be much faster than 2:30/100 (and I'm usually closer to 3:00). That's ok though-- I enjoy it and I'm not last out of the water (not that there's anything wrong with that either! )

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-02-10 5:41 PM
2014-02-10 7:09 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Don't swim in baggy long shorts. They will hinder your learning good form. Having a coach is a huge help. You can practice your breathing even when not swimming. Exhaling fully (through nose and mouth if necessary) is important to be able to breathe in what you need. Each week try to go at least another 25 yd/M without stopping. I used to mix it up with a breaststroke length to "rest" and get my breathing back on track; others have done the same with sidestroke. If you are already in good shape, it all boils down to technique and breathing.
2014-02-11 8:06 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

New user
Originally posted by badmo77a

Here is some feedback from somenoe who is:

1) slow
2) about a year into figuring this out

My first sessions were struggling 25s. You having a coach who can point out weaknesss is awesome. Mileage comes with repreated pool visits and building your confidence.

Some of the best things I did for water confidence:

I remebered by school training about treading water and underwater drills. Going to the pool and NOT swiming but spending the time retreaving toys from the bottom of the deep end and spending 10-15 minutes treading water stationary reminds me that even out in a lake somewhere I will be able to chill, get organised and reboot my swim.
When I do get tired or inhale water I have practiced not breaking my stroke but being patient, coughing under water to get rid of the unwanted lungful, and then getting my next two breaths and keeping going. Even in the worst case where in the next breath, feeling oxygen deprived you again inhale water it is then time to roll onto your back and kick it out for a while and get organised. Either way I am still making forward progress.
Plenty of slow laps. I know the way to get good is to work on drills and fast repeats but slow laps build a mental image of yourself as someone who can swim a long way.

I agree with this. If you are out of breath after 25 meters, it indicates to me that you're a little bit panicky in the water and you're body is expending a lot of energy on keeping your brain under control and not propelling yourself forward. My recommendation is to go to the deep end of the pool in the open swim area and let all of the air out of your lungs to sink and just go down to the bottom of the pool and look around for awhile. Push off with your feet to get to the surface and repeat. I did this with my hands clasped behind my back for about 5 minute sessions each time before I swam and it really calmed my nerves about water. Even though you know you can't really drown in a pool, your mind still might not 'get it'.

2014-02-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

My swim is my weakness. I did my first triathlon thinking I could get away with my half-arsed breaststroke (it was just 250m after all), but ended up losing all my energy after 50m and I sort of swam the rest doing a slow backstroke. That was a blow to my ego.

About 3 months ago, I finally took the plunge (pun intended) and started swimming front crawl, that I learned a bit in school as a child. It was no fun. I had trouble swimming just ONE 25m length of pool. But I kept at it, 3x per week, I followed a training program with slow build-up of distance. I observed other expert swimmers and tried to imitate their technique, I got advice from friends (including one who used to be an instructor). Eventually, I could swim 50m, 75m, 250m... and today I did 1300m! Ok, I'm not fast (2:33/100m average), but in comparison to last summer, I made leaps of progress.

I think others made a valid point: I agree that body and mind need to adjust and get comfortable in the water first, and get used to the regular breathing patterns. Honestly, it took me weeks to finally get comfortable and not panic. But once I was comfortable, once I started genuinely enjoying swimming, my heart rate calmed down, my muscles started to relax, and that's when I started to be able to swim longer. 

And now that I can swim longer, I can finally focus on technique and gain some speed Luckily, I have a friend who can help me with that! But I know I'll never ever be a good swimmer, I'm 39, it's a bit late for that. I'm just doing triathlon for my own personal achievement and improvement. I don't mind finishing DFL!

2014-02-13 3:57 PM
in reply to: avsie2013

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Some good advice here. A lot of the advice mimics what my trainer has been telling me. I will continue to get into the water and swim and just take it one session at a time. It's good to hear I am not the only 40 something swimmer who is struggling in the water.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!
2014-02-13 11:45 PM
in reply to: #4946150

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I guess I'm the outlier. It took me 3 months to go from distant BOP to MOP. I trained 3x per week for 1.5 hours per session. Focus was drills with lots of breaks so my total weekly yards were only about 6k.
2014-02-14 5:53 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Dan, you were an exceptional case, but you provide an excellent example of how to approach the process. From day one to day last, you had zero ego or preconception clouding you. Every drill was executed at face value with trust, you asked myriad questions about what was going on, and you were open to all information coming your way. Of course, you disseminated what was valuable to you individually and translated what worked and what didn't, but your dedication to the process was, again, excellent. I'm psyched for you that the outcome was so positive! Good luck and kick butt this season!
2014-02-14 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4949261

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Thank you!

I admit it took a lot of mindshare to get there. These were not relaxing sessions. It was work :-)

Im still afraid of phase 4 on the 2....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long did it take.. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Taking breaks on long rides

Started by xine2kgts
Views: 1665 Posts: 22

2011-06-22 11:02 AM xine2kgts

This takes a long time.

Started by ChiefBrody
Views: 1223 Posts: 13

2010-01-19 3:35 PM Baowolf

Longest Ride You've Done on a Trainer Pages: 1 2 3

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4970 Posts: 60

2014-02-19 7:37 AM Hot Runner

Taking "Time Off" - How Long?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 893 Posts: 6

2008-12-18 10:19 AM Daremo

What is the longest triathlon you've done Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 2414 Posts: 40

2007-09-11 7:14 PM runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.