Desert Dolphins
49F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 29s
Overall Rank = 11/63
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am, had a cup of coffee and some oatmeal (i don't recall ever eating oatmeal on race day, but it's oatmeal. I threw out that whole 'don't do anything new on raceday' thing and I was fine.) made a protein shake and another cup of coffee for the 45 minute drive. race didn't start until 8:30, so there was plenty of time.
Event warmup:

i did some stretching and watched the kids triathlon. wanted to get the legs loose since this was a reverse tri.
Swim
  • 07m 56s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

couldn't decide whether to jump in or dive. this resulted in me slipping and doing 1/2 of each. not a great start. swallowed some water and felt like I had to burp for the rest of the swim. no one passed me and I did pass a few people. shoulders were tired. in the last lap, the guy in front of me was all over the place. i did a breaststroke pull to get a better view of which side to go around. I made my move, but it was a little too late. I pulled alongside him and we went stroke for stroke, but the stairs were on his side and he ended up beating me by :03.
What would you do differently?:

have a better start and swim more. I am building my swimming back and haven't done any speedwork. my goal was 2:00pace and I ended up right on target.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time is included in the bike
Bike
  • 38m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

really good bike leg for me -- it shows I am improving. goal was to go sub 40:00. made that including the transition time. I did drop my chain 1 1/2 miles into the race - put it on and it fell right off again. Cost me some time, but it was likely too aggressive a gear change (listen to me talking like a cyclist!) I recovered from it and didn't let it spoil the fun I was having. felt like I was faster each lap

not drop my chain.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 22m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

good run. not sure what I would do, but didn't want to burn up my legs and not have what I wanted for the bike. Goal was to stay around 7:30 or so. first mile was right at 7:00 so I dialed it back to a VERY comfortable 7:15 pace for the rest of the run.

maybe go a little harder here. it might be different in a traditional tri versus the reverse.
Post race
Warm down:

knew I had done well, but ecstatic to eclipse my previous best sprint time by almost 6 minutes (in July 2007). Then I saw the rankings and was happy to see I won my AG (I knew I would place with such a small field, but I'll take the win!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dropping the chain and a sub-par swim mostly. I'm still very happy with my performance.

Event comments:

if you are looking for a great entry level race or an early test of fitness for the year, this is a great little race and is better organized than a race this size should be. great event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:56 | 400 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 20/63
Performance: Average
got stronger as the race went on, but didn't have a good start.
Suit: tri-suit
Course: snake pattern up one lane and down the next
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:19 | 12 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 14/63
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 3 laps - Crismon to Broadway to Signal Butte to Baseline
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:14 | 03.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 13/63
Performance: Good
Course: around the HS track once, then out to Crismon northbound. turned on Corabell and then out through the greenbelt basin to Broadway. Aid station about 1/2 way through the run, I dd grab a quick sip of water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-08 3:12 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: Tri Catching Cupid

2014-02-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4946448

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Tri Catching Cupid

Fantastic race, Tom!!  As much as you have worked the run and have been a traditionally good swimmer, those paces don't surprise me at all.  The big takeaway is the improvement on the bike.  A transition AND a dropped chain will kill an average bike pace, especially in a short race, and you still averaged nearly 19mph.  Your average moving speed had to be well north of that. Great job and congratulations on a fantastic start to the season!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Catching Cupid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chase Cupid's Arrow

Started by 4x4girl
Views: 583 Posts: 1

2008-03-01 2:43 PM 4x4girl

Cupid's Fling 5K

Started by G-Moose
Views: 1111 Posts: 2

2008-02-09 4:51 PM rpm1418

Cupid's Fling 5k

Started by G-Moose
Views: 886 Posts: 2

2007-04-13 10:35 PM wsm9363

Cupid's Cup 5k

Started by medic0020
Views: 1272 Posts: 1

2007-03-04 7:25 PM medic0020

Cupid's Fling 5k

Started by tjtryon
Views: 1062 Posts: 1

2007-02-10 6:15 PM tjtryon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The catch-up swim drill will allow you to extend each stroke out to it's fullest before hand entry.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.