Epic Sports Marketing
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 00m 52s
Overall Rank = 16/87
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to the rain and walked Gunnar. Got my shyte together and headed to Cady Way to pick up my friend Susan who was making sure the marathonfest people got going on their long training runs. Then drove the 30 miles to the race site.
Event warmup:

Shivered a bit in the cold, damp weather and .25 mile walk to the start line was all the warm up needed.
Run
  • 2h 00m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I really did not know how I was going to run this race. My "A" race is in 2 weeks (25k Everglades trail run), so I was leaning toward just using this as a training run and not pushing things too much. Plus, last Saturday was an 18 mile run, so I wasn't sure how my legs would respond to trying to race.

As soon as the race started, I took off; way too fast. I was running about an 8:15 and had to make myself slow down as even if I was going to race this, i am not in 8:15 pace shape for this distance (and may never be again). It took me about 4 miles, but I was able to settle into a nice slightly below 9 mm pace. I had about 2 miles around miles 9 and 10 where i slowed down a bit, but i was able to pick things up again and finished with with sub 9 miles. I should have pushed a bit harder as I missed winning my AG by 7 SECONDS!!

We had multiple days of all day rain and I was really concerned about the condition of the course, but it was in great shape. No big puddles and no real muddy areas. Yay, my new shoes did not get ruined :) We also lucked out because the rain held off for most of the run. Half way through it started up, but it was light and only lasted about 10 minutes. So, this turned out to be almost perfect running weather - 50s and cloudy!

I did have one little encounter with another runner - around mile 4 a middle aged man passed me; no big deal, lots of people pass me, but then he slowed down right in front of me. I tried to go around him on the left and he moved left, I tried the right and he moved right. This happened a few times before I finally took a wide berth around him and started to pass, as I did he sped up to try to stop me from passing! DUDE, WTF! I am not racing you and if you are doing my pace you are in no danger of winning your AG! This pissed me off, so I picked my pace up a bit and passed him. He was unable to pass me back. I knew he was behind me for some time though as I heard him breathing like he was going to die. He finally fell away. I wonder if he would have behaved that way if I was a guy trying to pass him or if his ego just couldn't take a woman passing?
What would you do differently?:

Pick it up a bit more at the end so I could have won my AG ;)
Really, I am happy with this run. It is my slowest HM - although it doesn't look quite as slow if you use my Garmin distance :), but it is a trail run and the other HMs were not. Plus, I've been rehabbing my hamstring for what seems like forever and my training had taken a hit. The really good news is my hamstring felt great the entire run!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car - and moved it closer to the finish; changed into dry clothes, did a little stretching and waited for Susan to finish. We then waited for the award ceremonies - we both took 2d in our AG! Another marathonfester won her AG and a fourth met her goal of not being last!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics.

Event comments:

This is a very small race as the city will not allow a big crowd running through the wetlands (plus there is no parking for a lot of people). I ranked 63 out of 170 total HM runners. There was a 5k and 10k too and I think in total there was less than 300 runners. Some may have been scared by the weather, but that is close to the maximum allowed.
I saw 1 alligator and lots of water fowl and buzzards. I think they were waiting for someone to fall! Susan said she saw an otter. Because of the size and location it is a completely different atmosphere from any other race I do - very laid back and very communy (I know that isn't a real word) with nature.
I will definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2013-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:54 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 16/87
Performance: Good
Course: This is a trail run that goes through an eco system that resembles the Everglades. The course is 2 laps, each lap goes around a few lakes. The trail itself is mainly on berms slightly (inches) above the lakes. This course was also long by almost .4. I know that Garmins do not necessarily get accurate measurements and when running races, unless you run the tangents, you will come out longer than a certified course; but everyone had the course about the same amount long and because of the trails, there really weren't any tangents to run. Plus, this was not a certified course. When I hit 13/1, my time was about 1:56/7.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-08 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Orlando Xtreme Half Marathon

2014-02-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4946490

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Orlando Xtreme Half Marathon

Second in the AG--Fantastic!! Well managed throughout....though I might have had a hard time not saying something to that dude who blocked you.

2014-02-09 1:28 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HOORAY!! Great race!!

WTH with that guy in your way?! DUMMY should have known better than to cut you off!
2014-02-10 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job on the race. You ran your race, kept yourself in check, had a good time, and still ended up 2nd in your AG. And laid the smack down on the dude that wanted to race you. I'm glad you had a good time, and I agree, the atmosphere at the trail races I've done is so different from other races. Really cool. Congrats on a good day all around!

2014-02-10 6:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks guys!

2014-02-10 10:19 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Well executed race, Ann-Marie!  2nd AG is awesome!  Wazzup with that dude not letting you pass?!  Dork.  You're probably right, it was probably a male ego thing.  It sounds like the race went just right, and what an inspirational venue of running through wetlands and getting to enjoy nature .  Big congrats!!!

2014-02-10 11:43 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Sounds like a perfect lead up race to your 25K. Great job and great news on the hamstring front!

2014-02-10 4:36 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
That guy obviously did not know who he was dealing with :D Great thinking and adjusting...you're just saving that AG win for your A race.
2014-02-11 9:38 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great run!  I'm so glad that you had fun.  Congrats on the podium!  Not bad for "not racing."  :-)

2014-02-11 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like an awsome race! Congrats on the podium! Maybe you should have raced "obnoxious dude" a bit more to get that 7 seconds

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orlando Xtreme Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Orlando Half Marathon

Started by theoriginalmaj
Views: 1002 Posts: 1

2013-12-07 2:48 PM theoriginalmaj

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1

Orlando Extreme Half Marathon

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 1852 Posts: 8

2007-01-30 2:10 AM snikpos

OUC Orlando Half Marathon

Started by annabananamc
Views: 1622 Posts: 2

2006-03-25 11:21 PM Stitch26.2

OUC Orlando Half Marathon

Started by jwcanning
Views: 1389 Posts: 2

2005-12-18 8:42 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.