General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just getting started and bike concerns. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 4:18 PM

Subject: just getting started and bike concerns.
Hello All

I just ran my first sprint last weekend and wow this could easly become my new addiction. talk about fun.
so i have already signed up for my next one.
Now I need a bike. I did this last one a rented road bike.. talk about intersting I had done my bike work outs on a stationary bike. riding a bike in real likfe is quite differernt especially when you dont know how to shift gears so much.

so with that I am on a mission to buy a bike . I am looking at going 3 different ways. 1. a older bike for less cash. 2. a new bike for more cash. 3 a whole beginner tri kit.

here is what I current looking at.

1. a 1997 SOFTRIDE Windshear triathlon bike for 350 with Carbon fiber seat post. Carbon fiber 26" spinergy wheels. ultegra groupset shimano 600 crankset and new tires in good condition the seller is a avid bike rider who maintained it nicely

2. a 2011 Kestrel Talon Tri bike for 850 it Also comes with rear mounted x-lab bottle mount. Brand new tires. New chain. Adamo seat and pedals.
and is in like new condition.

3. or going all in a buying the nytro beginner tri package for 2000
2014 Cannondale Slice 5 105 Triathlon Bike
2014 Blue Seventy Fusion Wetsuit - (Men's) or (Women's)
2XU Active Tri Top - (Men's) or (Women's)
2XU Active Tri Short (Men's) or 2XU Comp Tri Short (Women's)
Shimano TR31 Tri Shoes
Shimano R540 Pedal/Cleats
Bell Lumen Helmet
Nytro Transition Bag
Nytro Water Bottle
Nytro Water Bottle Cage
Nytro Hybrid Race Belt
Nytro Bike Fit - Shop customers only i likve in san diego so I would be going to the store.

my concerns are if i buy the softride i will be looking for a bike again next year. but i think i would get my money back when selling
if i buy the kestrel i would have for some time but 850 puts a hit on my cash flow for the month but seems like a great buy
and 3 if i buy the kit I have everything but not sure about pulling the trigger on 2 grand on someting I just started.

I look forward to hearing from those that have been there done that. thank you.

Ricky

Edited by rabbi333 2014-02-11 4:40 PM

2014-02-11 6:16 PM
in reply to: rabbi333

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: just getting started and bike concerns.

When I started triathlon in 2007 I went to the lbs and bought a road bike with seat upgrade, pedals, shoes and helmut. My bike is maybe one step up from entry level and I spent just over $2000.  Later bought a wetsuit, tri clothes and aerobars for the bike. 

The $2000 deal you are looking at seems like a great deal to me, although I'm really glad I bought a road bike and not a tri bike as I haven't done a tri since 2008 but still enjoy riding my bike a lot.

2014-02-11 7:50 PM

Did my first half dozen triathlons (sprints) on a cheap, old mountain bike. I held off on buying a fancy bike because I wanted to make sure this wasn't a passing thing for me. When my training started to resemble a part-time job I splurged on a mid-range tri bike ($1800). As you know, the bike is where you make most of your gains so a comfortable and fast ride made sense. Turns out it was a good purchase as I've done dozens of tri's of all distances including 4 ironmans.

Personally, if I were you I'd do a couple more races on a rented/borrowed bike. Otherwise if you know that you are indeed hooked, consider going all the way and getting a decent tri bike. My best advice to you is to test ride at least 2-3 different bikes so you can feel the differences. If this becomes a hobby for you, you have no idea how much time you'll be spending on that bike!

Good luck!
2014-02-11 8:27 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
I'm going to echo the other people on here and say hold on. I was riding a bike I got from a friend for years before I got a real deal tri bike. And when it came time to buy that bike I cruised Craigslist for months until I got a sweet deal on mine. Although you may be tempted to pull the trigger right away, best bet is to hold off and make sure it's for you.
2014-02-11 9:15 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

I would buy your first bike from a local bike shop. Since you're new to the sport and to bikes, there is a lot of value in building a relationship with a bike store in your area. I know when I first started, I was in my local Trek store a lot asking questions. They are far more willing to help you out when you're buying stuff from them And they can also help connect you to the local cycling community. My shop has lots of group rides.

All that said, you might be able to find a decent 2013 road bike on sale right now. Many shops will still be trying to off load 2013 inventory. You can start off with a tri bike of course, but the road bike has a lot more utility.
2014-02-12 5:44 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I wouldn't get the Softride… That's a quite old bike and one of the achilles heals of this bike is the beam, if something goes, you have a pile of scrap that has no value since you can't easily find spare parts.

With the bike fit included, the Nytro package makes the most sense. You want to get a bike fit first to find the bike that fits you the best.

2014-02-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

I would not go with the first option. A bike that old will be really hard to find parts for (things like seatposts crack and the shape changes with model year, so they can be hard to replace). Plus, unless you are really short, avoid 26" wheels.

Will triathlons be the only type of riding that you do? Do you enjoy riding for the sake of riding and think you might start riding with a group? Is the area you live in flat or hilly? Do you see building up to longer distances like HIM and IM, or do you think you will stay with shorter races? These are all questions you need to ask yourself before buying a bike. If you live in a flat area and want to do long triathlons and nothing else, get a tri bike. If your area is really hilly, and you like to ride, especially in a group, get a road bike because it will be more versatile and better suited for steep hills.

I second the idea of buying from an LBS. Something to keep in mind is that they are trying to get rid of their 2013 and even 2012 bikes right now to make room for the 2014s. You might be able to find a great deal on an unused bike from last year. Just make sure the shop doesn't pressure you into a bike that isn't right for you because they are trying to clear inventory.
2014-02-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Champion
MA

Always exciting to find a new sport that excites you.

Triathlons have a lot of equipment that can add up to some significant money.

Key with all bikes is having the bike fit you well. Many newbies skip this part as it is an additional expense they try to avoid but it often comes back to bite them as the get the wrong size bike and end up buying a second bike that actually fits them.

Used bikes are normally a better value, but you need to be patient to find a bike that fits you, is in good shape and is appropriate for your goals.

Google stack and reach on Slowtwitch and you can learn a lot of bike fit.

If I were you, I'd go to all the local bike shops and talk with the shop. See what they recommend but be leery if they just have you get on a bike. Often they have prior years stock that are at sweet price. You will learn and be better educated to make a solid decision.

2014-02-12 8:12 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I'm definitely N+1 on bicycles. So it is hard for me to say wait on it. Also, with the racing/training addiction, comes the gear addiction.

First, I would stay far from the Softride. It was gimmicky when it first came out (mid 1990s) and parts are hard to come by. I sold a Softride MTB when I worked at a LBS and still feel dirty about it (15 years later).

Though a big chunk of cash, the Nytro package is good. You really do get everything that you'll need and they're not selling you off brand crap. With that said, you're also only getting entry-level gear. The Slice is a decent bike that can be upgraded as parts break. You're getting a 105 drivetrain. Many will tell you that there is little difference between 105 and ultegra while some might even go as far as saying that 105 isn't much worse than Dura Ace. You can find many threads about this argument here on BT. In endurance cycling there isn't much shifting to be done. So chances are that your 105 components will last you forever. If you were road racing, parts will break all of the time. The only thing that you will be tempted to upgrade will be the wheelset. The slice comes with aluminum shimano wheels that are great for training, but with time you'll want some free speed for racing. It's hard not to want that additional 1MPH. It's mentioned on this forum from time to time, but at ST it's downright sinful to race in training wheels. We all get sucked in.

The Kestrel Talon is also an entry level bike with a 105 drivetrain. At $850 it too will come with aluminum wheels. The only advantage is that if you ever decide to no longer race triathlons, you can slap some drop bars, shifters/brakes, and cables and you have a road bike. The Talon is designed as a hybrid road/tri bike with geometry somewhere between a laid back road bike and a up in the cockpit time trial bike. Apart from the hunt for race wheels, you'll also have $1200 to spend on wetsuit, tri kit, helmet (even with the package you're going to want an aero helmet), shoes , pedals, and a backpack. If you shop around you can find all of these things for less than $1200. You just have to be patient.

With the Talon, just make sure that the size/fit is right for you. All-in-all a bike's just a bike and you're the engine, but if the engine isn't comfortable, the bike is a hunk of junk.

2014-02-14 6:36 AM

Thank you for all the advice on the bike decision.
I am passed on the softride. in part because of parts if needed in futre.
Would have been one of those newbies that passes on the bike fit due to trying to save some money.. going to get fitting soon. to get general ideal of size when looking.
Really liked the Kestrel and working on deal with seller but waiting to see how fitting goes.
even though the nitro kit sounds awesome .. wife was like what... how about you do some more first.
so with that doing my next sprint in a few weeks. this time in open water so should be exciting as all my swimming has been in a pool.
not sure what i will do about bike maybe rent a tri bike this time from lbs vice just a road bike.

again thank you for the advice this BT site is awesome..

2014-02-14 7:28 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I was in a similar position as you.

I owned a very old commuter bike. I decided put purchase a middle of the line "last years" FUJI Altimira with ultegra components. I'm glad I did not buy a tri-specific bike as I've found now I really like to cycle.

Doing my loop around the local resevoir tomorrow wouldn't be as much fun on a tri-bike (with my level of experience). As a newbie the gear we use does not need to be nearly as specialized. In short, I wouldn't not have utilized a tri bike to its full potential, I also probably would not like riding quite as much. I'd say (like tons of people told me) go buy a road bike and clip aeros on later.

2014-02-14 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would test ride a tri bike before entering in a race with one.

I would also consider a more versatile road bike - are there any on craigslist near you?
2014-03-02 4:30 AM

Thanks again for all the advice.
I went with the Kestrel. worked out a good deal and he gave me shoes,helmet, trainer too. I have since gone and been fitted and its working out great. first race with it will be next week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just getting started and bike concerns. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

getting started mountain biking

Started by Beej
Views: 944 Posts: 11

2013-05-08 8:49 AM Paper Boy

Frustrated with missing training & getting concerned

Started by Mike_D
Views: 743 Posts: 3

2010-08-19 10:17 AM bdye101

Question concerning "getting HR up" before swim start

Started by nc452010
Views: 945 Posts: 7

2010-06-14 1:45 PM eggraid101

Help - Getting Started on the Bike

Started by dcortright
Views: 1135 Posts: 12

2009-06-17 8:34 PM kk74

getting started

Started by wanttotri
Views: 976 Posts: 8

2014-02-12 8:54 AM taylorz13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.