General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie with issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 6:51 PM

Subject: Newbie with issues
Ok...I have decided that I want to do a couple sprint length Tri's.

I am a 47 yo clydesdale at 6'2 and 265 pounds...I regularly bike 20-40 miles on my own.

I had a widow maker heart attack in 2010. My cardiologist said because I was in such good shape at the time is why I survived. Six months before the heart attack I had won the Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Pan Ams in the over 40 division.

I am one of those people that needs a goal to target to work out other than riding my bike. I am trying to get down to under 220 and thought that combining some sports I love to do (Swimming, Biking) and tolerating the running hence the sprint distance. Would be a great way to reach my goal!

I played football and wrestled in College so I have injury issues that flair up. Had knee surgery 3 consecutive summers on the same knee, slightly bulging disk that acts up but according to the doctor isn't bad enough to warrant any surgery( Thank God) and from football I have had literally hundreds of stingers in my left shoulder and neck that had reduced the strength on that arm.

I have gotten used to training around these injuries but have never done multiple sports at the same time. I also am somewhat intimidated as to know what specialized equipment I need or where to get it. Especially a wet suit because of my size I would imagine it may be an issue. Which leads me to ask is the water warm enough in June to do the swim in shorts and a rash guard? What other gear would I need?

Thanks in advance!

2014-02-12 10:00 AM
in reply to: Farmingdale'sFinest

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Newbie with issues
Welcome! Congrats on your decision to do this crazy sport! It's a fun journey. Best of luck.

Originally posted by Farmingdale'sFinest
Which leads me to ask is the water warm enough in June to do the swim in shorts and a rash guard?

This will depend heavily on where you live. I would suggest also checking out the "Triathlon Talk" threads.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie with issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

food issue question?

Started by sappho96
Views: 611 Posts: 6

2006-11-24 8:28 PM KSH

Male body image issues, weight and etc... Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 3797 Posts: 46

2007-02-01 10:38 PM Hammerandtongs

Fit-Day Issues

Started by RafeOsha
Views: 676 Posts: 3

2006-03-15 1:28 AM veganjill

Nutrition issue/ Drinking problem

Started by robj3411
Views: 1022 Posts: 10

2006-01-23 6:44 PM mamalexander

This stupid weigth loss issue

Started by nliedel
Views: 1168 Posts: 16

2005-08-22 10:09 AM hikergerb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 16, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!