General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to count fiber in low carb diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-12 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: How to count fiber in low carb diet
Sure this is too basic a question, but do I focus on net carbs (carbs-fiber) or not.

Doing about 40g carbs but 17-20g are fiber. Don't know how to get any lower unless I just eat meat and cheese. High protein bars and shakes have 2-5g carbs and then there is veggies (excluding carrots, peas, potatoes etc.)

Mitzi

2014-02-17 6:51 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Subject: RE: How to count fiber in low carb diet
Using net carbs is helpful, but just think about your intent. If you're abusing the "net carb" concept in order to eat a lot of things that you know you shouldn't, the results won't be there. I use them sparingly, maybe a low carb wrap for a breakfast burrito or something.

Also, regarding shakes: Check out the IsoPure zerocarb. Very tasty, and great for avoiding carbs and getting protein.
2014-02-24 6:10 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
No, I'm not doing any of those substitute products, just want to know what to do with veggies etc when it says 5g carb, 2 of which is fiber. Trying to get the carbs as low as possible.
Wanted to know about Quest bars which are 21g carbs 17 of which are fiber. Using them now to get the fiber and it is a chance to have a "sweet" treat.

I did buy the pineapple, orange banana Isopure. Mind you I like juices full of kale, and beet juice straight up etc. and usually like things others find disgusting. I don't expect much from health foods, so I'm usually happy enough. Must say this drink actually made me sick. It got better when I diluted it with more water and I'm going to try it with diet, 5cal juice drinks (V8 Splash etc)

Will keep using it as it fits the need, but will give it up if it keeps making me sick afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mitzi
2014-02-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Calgary
Your going to think I have nothing better to do than poo poo your posts. Which is partly true, but as a new dieter I am interested. Regarding carbs, you are right, cheese and eggs and meat, damn, sneaky little carbs.

I eat lots of celery, kale and romaine. Blend that stuff in a blender and down the hatch it first thing in the morning. I would hazard to guess that you can eat as much celery kale and romaine that you can stomach and not go over 40 net carbs.

Right now the only things I eat out of a can are tuna/salmon.....and beer fine I will have a beer.

My concern with the "sweet treat" is that I cannot handle that. You may be different. I'd eat a whole box of them quest bars.

Also this.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/11/03/net-carb-vs-blood-sugars-...

which seems to suggest that quest bars, for whatever reason, cause an insulin response in some people, maybe it is the protein. FWIW a1/4 of an apple has 5 net carbs. Also it is sweet as candy corn when you only have a bit every couple days.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to count fiber in low carb diet Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Low Carb Diets Pages: 1 2

Started by Kido
Views: 6399 Posts: 29

2015-02-05 9:08 PM MuscleMomma

switching from low carb to low calorie diet

Started by rebersole2
Views: 9936 Posts: 11

2010-01-06 1:38 PM rebersole2

Controlled Carb Diet

Started by constiner
Views: 1278 Posts: 3

2009-07-22 1:33 PM Batlou

Low carb-Ketogenic diet, anyone else attempting this?

Started by Layne44
Views: 1903 Posts: 5

2008-07-25 6:37 PM cadreamer

Low Carb and Exercise

Started by Tootall
Views: 2831 Posts: 23

2005-04-05 10:05 AM nuke_angel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : May 31, 2011
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?
date : January 20, 2011
Should I buy organic or standard foods? Fresh or frozen vegetables? Low-fat or fat-free milk? Get tips inside.

date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : November 14, 2004
In this day and age of energy bars, protein powders and weight gain shakes, many athletes forget about “real" foods such as peanut butter. Peanut butter is perhaps the best sport food around.