Other Resources The Political Joe » Mitt Romney: Limit Olympic Excess Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-12 10:50 AM

User image

Subject: Mitt Romney: Limit Olympic Excess
"Reports claim that China and Russia each spent in the neighborhood of $50 billion on their Olympics. The London Games cost at least $15 billion. Greece's $11 billion Olympics pushed the country toward collapse. Arguably, the Olympics would be worth every penny if the spending were absolutely necessary. But it's not.

Atlanta and Salt Lake City each spent under $3 billion, including security and inflation. Necessity is the mother of frugality. In the United States, unlike every other host country, the money for the Games comes almost exclusively from private sources: sponsorships, broadcast revenue and tickets. The exception is government spending on security and transportation. But in every other host country, the government picks up nearly the entire check."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/02/11/mitt-romney-olympi...

There were a number of reasons why Mitt didn't win in 2012. A brilliant understanding business and the human impact of government waste was not one of those reasons.

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-02-12 10:51 AM

2014-02-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Mitt Romney: Limit Olympic Excess
3 billion wouldn't cover the bribes.
2014-02-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Originally posted by BigDH

3 billion wouldn't cover the bribes.

It may have been enough to hire a plumber to install a couple working toilets....
2014-02-12 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Jackemy1 "Reports claim that China and Russia each spent in the neighborhood of $50 billion on their Olympics. The London Games cost at least $15 billion. Greece's $11 billion Olympics pushed the country toward collapse. Arguably, the Olympics would be worth every penny if the spending were absolutely necessary. But it's not. Atlanta and Salt Lake City each spent under $3 billion, including security and inflation. Necessity is the mother of frugality. In the United States, unlike every other host country, the money for the Games comes almost exclusively from private sources: sponsorships, broadcast revenue and tickets. The exception is government spending on security and transportation. But in every other host country, the government picks up nearly the entire check." http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/02/11/mitt-romney-olympi... There were a number of reasons why Mitt didn't win in 2012. A brilliant understanding business and the human impact of government waste was not one of those reasons.

It looks like Sochi is going to be an unparalleled disaster from a "wasteful spending" standpoint.   I will say, however, that a lot of the spending that was done for Beijing wasn't "wasted"  I can get to pretty much anywhere in the city on buses and subways that all have English (as well as Chinese!) signs.  Roads are well-maintained and clearly marked in Chinese and English.  Most of the Olympic facilities are still in-use by the public.  The "Water Cube" has a huge waterpark inside that is packed to the gills every week.   I can go enjoy Olympic Park with my family for a couple bucks each.  I went to the rowing venue last summer and rented a sailboat, then went and watched people on the cable-skiing apparatus (AWESOME!

Beijing may have spent 50B, but you can clearly see where a good chunk of that money went.  Nearly anyone will tell you that Beijing is much better off after 2008 than before. 

I'm not saying China doesn't have its problems.... It clearly does.   But the Olympics was a miniature "Great Leap Forward" (with much more desirable results) for Beijing.

2014-02-13 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Jackemy1

"Reports claim that China and Russia each spent in the neighborhood of $50 billion on their Olympics. The London Games cost at least $15 billion. Greece's $11 billion Olympics pushed the country toward collapse. Arguably, the Olympics would be worth every penny if the spending were absolutely necessary. But it's not.

Atlanta and Salt Lake City each spent under $3 billion, including security and inflation. Necessity is the mother of frugality. In the United States, unlike every other host country, the money for the Games comes almost exclusively from private sources: sponsorships, broadcast revenue and tickets. The exception is government spending on security and transportation. But in every other host country, the government picks up nearly the entire check."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/02/11/mitt-romney-olympi...

There were a number of reasons why Mitt didn't win in 2012. A brilliant understanding business and the human impact of government waste was not one of those reasons.

A report on HBO RealSports said that the Sochi Olympics cost more than all the previous winter olympic games, combined.
2014-02-13 2:15 PM

User image

, Oregon
No only did Salt Lake not cost as much as some of these other Olympics Romney knowing that it is difficult to maintain venues set up a fund to allow continued maintenance of the venues for an additional 10 years after the Olympic Games Ended.

2014-02-13 5:37 PM
in reply to: idahocraig

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by idahocraig No only did Salt Lake not cost as much as some of these other Olympics Romney knowing that it is difficult to maintain venues set up a fund to allow continued maintenance of the venues for an additional 10 years after the Olympic Games Ended.

This Romney guy sounds like a genius.  He should run for President...again....and again.  lol   (snerk

2014-02-13 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I like the idea of a permanent site for the games to limit the politics and over-spending and nationalistic crap and home-field advantage. Pick a neutral country(s) (Switzerland/Austria?), build some GREAT venues with TOP security, share costs and revenues somehow----seems like a win-win-win to me.

I would vote for Romney as permanent head of our Olympic committee. :-) Just never for Prez.
2014-02-13 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers I like the idea of a permanent site for the games to limit the politics and over-spending and nationalistic crap and home-field advantage. Pick a neutral country(s) (Switzerland/Austria?), build some GREAT venues with TOP security, share costs and revenues somehow----seems like a win-win-win to me. I would vote for Romney as permanent head of our Olympic committee. :-) Just never for Prez.

Yeah, just because you can run a billion dollar, multi-nation venture and make it workable and a great time for everyone without breaking the bank doesn't mean you can run a country......it takes a community organizer for that.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-13 9:37 PM
2014-02-13 10:18 PM

User image

I think it's shameful that the wealthiest country in the world has to farm out such an important international event to a bunch of capitalist pigs.

It should be taken over by the Federal Government.

That's what all the other countries do and if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for the USA....

2014-02-14 9:22 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

This is obviously a Hoax, there's no way the US could do something cheaper than other countries.  ;-)

2014-02-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tuwood

This is obviously a Hoax, there's no way the US could do something cheaper than other countries.  ;-)

The key here was it was done with mostly private money.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Mitt Romney: Limit Olympic Excess Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 16, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
In running, when trying to increase your distance, you don't want to add more than about 10% a week to avoid injury from overtraining. Is there a similar limit with swimming?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.