General Discussion Triathlon Talk » xlab torpedo vs speedfil a2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-12 12:46 PM

Subject: xlab torpedo vs speedfil a2
Looking to purchase a BTA hydration system and was wondering that the members here thought about the xlab torpedo vs the speedfil a2.

With the A2 I would use the z4 cage that has a computer mount as well.

I have never had a BTA system before so don't have any reference to compare.

Thanks

Tom

2014-02-12 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: xlab torpedo vs speedfil a2

Just reviewed several systems in our mentor group.

Between the aerobar systems I've tried

I tried the Xlab Torpedo system (400 or 100) and it seems to be a decent set up. But, the part that extends out where you mount the Garmin seems a little flimsy and bounces around on rough roads. The bottle also can obscure the line of sight to the Garmin. Biggest pain was trying to get it set up with the spacers to mount the bottle cage to the base. There are alot of parts to the set up. The spacers allow you to mount the bottle cage higher or lower between the aerobars. Seems like they could simplify this better. Easy to drink out of and holds the straw down out of the wind.

XLAB Torpedo System 400

Profile Design HC System-Really easy set up and easy to drink out of. Problem is the mount for the Garmin is behind the bottle so again have to look down and away from the road to check power. I messed around with it to see if I could put the compute mount out fron tbut was unable to do it. This would be a good set up it you are not checking your Garmin regularly.

Speedfil A2/Z4 bundle-this looked really promising. So simple putting the mount for the Garmin right on top of the bottle as part of the bottle cage. I used this in one late season race with the Speedfil A2 bottle. You can mount the bottle cage so that the straw for the bottle come out the front or the back. No problem seeing the Garmin but I had trouble getting fluids out of the bottle. The straw does tuck into the side of the set up so it is not sitting up in the wind all the time but I struggle with the bite valve. Also seems that the straw can crimp depending on the angle. This would be a super easy set up if you just want to use a regular water bottle and pull it out for a drink when needed.

Speedfil A2 | Z4+ Bundle

Torhans 30 with accessory tray-as started above, my only complaint with this system is the location of the tray behind the bottle. I like the easy setup of the bottle and the ease of drinking with the straw right there. Also easy to refill.

Torhans Aero Tray

I'm still undecided what I will use heading into next year. Toward the end of last season, in sprints, I was just using a bottle on the frame and keeping my usual Barfly  Garmin mount on the aerobars to keep it easy to see. May have given up a little aerodynamically but I felt more comfortable with the Garmin out front.  The Nathan AP Pro looks like a promising alternative but I have not been able to determine whether you can mount a Garmin to the top of the bottle.

It looks like you should be able to mount a Garmin on there but the website refers to the yellow thing going around to the top as a deck clip where you can mount an inspirational quote or other notes.......really? Edit....Found out the Nathan does not have a Garmin/electronics mount.

Did find this velcro strap from Inviscid/Speedfil that would allow you to mount Garmin/electronics on pretty much any BTA bottle. Pricey at $19.95

A2 Garmin Mount & Tube Clip

I would check the DC Rainmaker site. He does lots of awesome reviews and I'm sure he is way more detailed than I am.

Edited by slornow 2014-02-12 1:03 PM
2014-02-12 1:12 PM
in reply to: ctkeebler

User image

Miami
Subject: RE: xlab torpedo vs speedfil a2
I never used the speedfil a2, but I own the xlab torpedo system.

I was in the same position that you are and I finally decided to go with the xlab option for two main reasons:

1. The straw doesn't need to be sticking out all the time, which reduces drag (not sure how much effect this can have), but more importantly, it doesn't bother me. I used to have the speedfil standard system and I didn't like how the straw was on my face the entire time. This can be fixed easily by attaching some Velcro to both the bottle and the straw though.

2. It came with a computer mount that will position my bike computer in front of the bottle, not behind. I didn't install it yet, but according to some reviews that I read I will have visibility of my computer from my aero position. That would not be the case if the bike computer will be mounted behind the bottle (I saw people mounting their bike computer on the actual bottle when using the speedfil a2 system).

Hopefully somebody can give you a better answer comparing both systems, but I think the two options are very similar in terms of accessibility to your drink and overall use.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » xlab torpedo vs speedfil a2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

speedfil a2 leaks at straw insert

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 1104 Posts: 5

2013-08-17 1:38 AM JZig

Speedfil A2 Tips

Started by runninirish
Views: 1767 Posts: 5

2012-06-18 6:15 PM runninirish

Torhans Aero 20 vs. Speedfil A2

Started by infinIT 1
Views: 980 Posts: 1

2011-10-11 1:21 PM infinIT 1

Torpedo style hydration setup.

Started by rsmoylan
Views: 1965 Posts: 19

2011-08-26 7:05 AM rsmoylan

can I use this cage as a torpedo set up

Started by FELTGood
Views: 926 Posts: 10

2011-03-03 4:17 PM tophermcdougall
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.