General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High protein breakfasts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-13 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: High protein breakfasts
So I've found that I fair much better with eating during the day if I eat a high protein breakfast. I also tend to feel better through the morning hours. Does anyone have an suggestions for high protein breakfast items? Eggs are an obvious choice - but I can't and don't want to eat them every day.

Minimal prep would be nice - If it does require more prep time being able to cook it at night and having it last a few days would be the best.

2014-02-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: High protein breakfasts
One my favorites is old-fashioned oats and greek yogurt. Microwave the oats with water and salt (per package), then dump in the greek yogurt afterward - it adds creaminess and flavor. 3/4c of oats, plus a Dannon light & fit yogurt = 305 calories, 49g carbs, 5g fat, 20g protein, 6g fiber, and only 9g sugar. A scoop or even half a scoop of protein powder will spike the the protein numbers.
2014-02-13 4:59 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon One my favorites is old-fashioned oats and greek yogurt. Microwave the oats with water and salt (per package), then dump in the greek yogurt afterward - it adds creaminess and flavor. 3/4c of oats, plus a Dannon light & fit yogurt = 305 calories, 49g carbs, 5g fat, 20g protein, 6g fiber, and only 9g sugar. A scoop or even half a scoop of protein powder will spike the the protein numbers.

Yup I was going to suggest refrigerator oatmeal, which is similar but no cooking involved. Prep it the night before and it's good to go in the morning. Lots of varieties you can do.

2014-02-14 2:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Assuming you are not on a low-carb diet or these suggestions might not work--my typical breakfast is whole grain toast with peanut butter (and sometimes bananas) and/or a mix of muesli or oatmeal topped with a little granola (for crunch and flavor), Greek yogurt, nuts (usually peanuts or almonds), and fresh fruit. Plus coffee, sometimes juice. The protein (and fat) really helps to hold me through till lunch--I train for an hour or so most mornings and my job gives me zero time to snack until lunch at 11:30 or 12:00. I mainly have eggs on the weekends due to the time they take to prepare.
In the US my favorite feed is plain Kashi (no sugar, mix of different grains) with kefir, fresh fruit, and almonds. Alas, no Kashi or kefir here.
2014-02-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
I was hoping for something with a bit less carbs in them - but it's not essential. I am not on a low carb diet. Thanks for the suggestions I do love oatmeal I never thought to blend it with some Greek yoghurt.
2014-02-14 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, my breakfast is somewhat of a calories/carb-fest!. I do a lot of training, including high-intensity stuff, early AM before breakfast and then have to make it until lunch, plus have an active job and on my feet most of the morning, so I need to take in a lot of calories then. You could just cut back the cereal part and put in more fruit and nuts.

2014-02-16 9:24 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon One my favorites is old-fashioned oats and greek yogurt. Microwave the oats with water and salt (per package), then dump in the greek yogurt afterward - it adds creaminess and flavor. 3/4c of oats, plus a Dannon light & fit yogurt = 305 calories, 49g carbs, 5g fat, 20g protein, 6g fiber, and only 9g sugar. A scoop or even half a scoop of protein powder will spike the the protein numbers.

Yup I was going to suggest refrigerator oatmeal, which is similar but no cooking involved. Prep it the night before and it's good to go in the morning. Lots of varieties you can do.

These are amazing - I love it. I think I found my new favorite food thanks Lisa! It's super easy to make, cheap, healthy and the possibilities are limitless. I couldn't find the chia seeds at my supermarket. I'll have to check our coop I'm sure they have some.
2014-03-25 9:08 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Pretty much my go to...

Make some quinoa, enough to last a few days so you don't have to make it all the time

Take 1 cup quinoa
A whole heap of berries, bananas, etc.
1/2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
Coconut or almond milk

There you have it... takes 5 minutes.
2014-03-26 12:01 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Justin86 So I've found that I fair much better with eating during the day if I eat a high protein breakfast. I also tend to feel better through the morning hours. Does anyone have an suggestions for high protein breakfast items? Eggs are an obvious choice - but I can't and don't want to eat them every day. Minimal prep would be nice - If it does require more prep time being able to cook it at night and having it last a few days would be the best.

I've eaten 2 eggs for breakfast for at least 90% of the past 7 years.    Usually scrambled, with Bacon Salt(it's vegan! go figure)  and Frank's Hot Sauce.

Sometimes I "mix it up" and fry them.   But usually scrambled.

If you take an egg, find the right size bowl, scramble it, and then pop it in the microwave for roughly 1 minute, you've got a GREAT addition to an Everything bagel.  The "right size bowl" is important because you want your scrambled egg and your bagel to be the same size, obviously. 

Me, OCD?  never.   

The reason for 2 eggs is that I can eat it at 6:30 am and will *just* be a little hungry at lunch.   Perfect.   If I eat carbs, I'm hungry by 10:30.

2014-03-26 9:21 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

i do some kind of egg based breakfast most days of the week - just vary it on what I have - so a couple of times a week, it will be an egg white omelette - normally with bell pepper, onions, gouda cheese...although right now, i've switched it to diced chicken, onions, bell pepper, green onions (no cheese) - other days some kind of frittata - with veggies/potato chunks etc
2014-03-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
LHOTP

2 eggs, fried XVOO-- same pan, lightly sautéed spinach with lemon, garlic and ginger

a few slices of smoked pork (it's sort of like a deli meat our co-op sells), warmed in pan with eggs and spinach (a spicy chorizo sausage is awesome too)

and half an avocado w/ salt and pepper

I eat this 3-4 times a week for breakfast.  The whole thing takes <10 minutes to make, and it is so, so good.  It's still eggs, but maybe different enough that it might be a good option once in a while :

2014-03-28 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
egg and turkey bake in oven in cupcake molds
2014-04-02 10:29 PM

User image

Regular
Do you have a blender? You can make a green smoothie with avocado and kale. (Full disclosure: this is a link for the recipe on my blog). I eat it for breakfast and love it. Keeps me full until lunch!
http://www.tasteofdivine.com/green-smoothie-avocado-kale/

2014-04-03 11:45 AM
in reply to: cdivine9

User image

Expert

I almost always have 1-2 eggs with some vegetables and sometimes a meat (sausage, or ground beef).  I don't mind a little prep in the am, but if you want something fast, roast some vegetables on the weekend (my current fav is shaved brussels sprouts, onions, and crispy roasted mushrooms, maybe with a little sweet potato)- pull out of the fridge and saute with a little fat and meat, I like to add some smoked spanish paprika, and poach an egg to serve on top.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High protein breakfasts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Low carb high protein

Started by mark.evans
Views: 1189 Posts: 3

2011-03-20 7:31 PM tricrazy

Protein Powder at Breakfast

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1846 Posts: 3

2009-07-25 4:36 PM Barry001

What protein can I eat for breakfast?

Started by FentressJET
Views: 2711 Posts: 15

2009-07-01 9:05 AM puellasolis

Breakfast and Breakfast Cereal Pages: 1 2 3

Started by lexington476
Views: 5004 Posts: 59

2007-02-07 10:06 AM KenyonTri

Breakfast or No Breakfast?

Started by TL2
Views: 1994 Posts: 22

2004-12-14 4:52 PM Kupe du Monde
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : April 29, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Should triathletes consume more grams of protein than the usual formula, since they are exercising more?
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : September 15, 2008
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : January 2, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on carb/protein ratio post workout, menu analysis, good fats, peanut butter, satisfying breakfast and sweet tooth replacements.

date : September 12, 2007
This article on protein supplements answers your questions as to the relevance of protein shakes, refueling after workouts and designer protein versus natural sources.