General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-02-13 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster
At 45, I still consider myself a newbie runner, having been at it for about 18 months now. I've been training for my first Half-Marathon ever in April, and doing 100% Zone 2 running. I'm up to 7 miles for my long run (8 this Saturday, fingers crossed) and last week I ran 17 miles total. I'm following a training plan that works with my schedule, running 3x per week. Mondays alternating 4 or 5( depending on if I lengthened my Saturday run the week before, or not), Wednesdays 5 ,and the longer runs on Saturdays. I'm now feeling pretty confident that I'll be able to at least finish the HM, which still surprises me saying that.

At the same time as I want to be able to run farther for the HM, I also would like to improve on my pace this season. I ran about ten 5Ks last season, with 26:26 being my best time, and I really enjoyed them. I'll never be a "speed demon", but I would love to get my 5k times down into the low 20's.

So, should I incorporate intervals or speed work at this point, or stick to Zone 2 running to increase my endurance, at least until after the HM? If I should, how should I incorporate them? FWIW - I also bike 2x/week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and swim on Sundays.

Edited by DannyII 2014-02-13 3:14 PM

2014-02-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster
there was a thread a couple of days ago that doesn't exactly answer your question, but lots of
info

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

you will get MANY opinions but I suspect many of them have been given in that thread.

2014-02-13 3:35 PM

The only way to get faster is to run faster so yes, intervals and threshold runs are your best bet. Hopefully your training plan includes these.

My biggest gains have been from following the Daniel's running formula (book). It can be used across ALL distances. Basically the idea is to run virtually every day (6-7 days a week). BUT, only 2-3 of those days are "quality" days, which are your hard intervals and threshold runs. All the other days are easy pace runs, including a long run if you need it. Another idea would be to do a hill repeat workout every other week. The main key is to ease into all of this because you can slowly injure or overtrain yourself without knowing. Good luck!
2014-02-13 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
IMO you can leave intervals, drills and hills for your 5th weekly run, or you'll have to sacrifice base building which you need for long distances. If you can, try to start running 4 times a week, even if you just run 2-3 miles.

You can incorporate some speed into your other runs either by doing one weekly short run at faster pace or do, say, the last 200yd of every mile at a faster pace. See if you can find some natural markers on your route where you up the pace a bit.

2014-02-13 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Zone 2 running is not mutually exclusive from developing speed. However to get faster with zone 2, it requires that you increase either your frequency or your duration (since you are keeping intensity the same).

This is one of the longest known effects of zone 2 training...it improves the utilization of oxygen by working muscles by enhancing capillary growth and mitochodrial growth, essentially improving Vo2 max. It just takes a long time OR takes a high frequency.

I've been doing high frequency zone 2 only training with 2 of my long course athletes over the winter because both have running as their limiter. One woman has taken about 45 seconds off of her easy pace run and built up to a 10 mile long run weekly that has become quite routine for her.

The nice thing about zone 2 is that it i slow stress, low injury risk and you can do it again day oafter day...assuming the duration is short enough. The adaptations add up over time.

In her case se was running ~ 5 times per week, weekly long run capped at 10 miles even when that became < 30% of her total weekly distance. I just wanted solid repeatable run durability. She also worked through a periodized strength program ala classic joe friel training bible.

This has worked great for her, and she is faster than she has been for the past 2 years. She swam and biked only 1-2 times per week as these were her natural strengths. She can get in the water and in 3 weeks be swimming 1:20/100s all day and all night so we took away pool time to work on run fitness.

If that doesn't sound like your background however, and you are limited in the number of days to add running, consider adding short strides if you are not already (alactate strides are < 10 second pickups that work on neuromuscular firing pattern with zero to no risk of next day fatigue). Or longer strides such as a 20 seconds on, 1 min easy for a 10 minute duration (or start with 5 minutes).

If adding hills, make them short hill repeats to start with and only as fast as you can maintain form..do NOT sprint all out up the hill as fast as you can, or you'll blow out early and risk injury and require recovery.

"Speed work" in very small doses can work wonders, but you'll do even better with the big run base of "run often, mostly easy". If you can't do the often, you'll have to add a bit of intensity, but at a risk of injury, so start slow and build progressively over 4 weeks. Don't be in a hurry to get fast or you'll miss it.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-02-13 4:40 PM
2014-02-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcstrangelove The only way to get faster is to run faster so yes, intervals and threshold runs are your best bet. ...

Yes- speed work helps you get faster, but it's the icing on the cake.  First, you must make cake.  The idea for endurance running is to become very efficient at running easily.... by doing a lot of easy running.  Speed work, while stressing your body and forcing adaptation, will also 

Also- yes, after you've got your mileage up there, 25mpw and up, you can start adding speed work.  But even with that- most of your running should still be zone 2.

Running:  Mostly easy- sometimes hard

Cycling:  sometimes easy, sometimes hard

swimming:  mostly hard, sometimes easy.

and 90% of your gains will come from consistency and volume.  we're really just talking about the 10% to try and optimize the 90%

2014-02-13 9:48 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

A good endurance running program should include:
At least one long run per week.
At least one stress run per week. This could be sprints, hills, etc.
Rest days after hard days.
It's good to get a threshold run in also.
Each week should get incrementally harder, either by intensity or by time.
2014-02-13 9:55 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

We tell people to swim hard and fast in order to be a fast swimmer.  We tell people to bike hard and fast to become a fast cyclist.  We tell people to slow waaaay down and run more in order to be a faster runner.  Yes, you will get faster by running more, even if it's slow, but you won't get fast........to get fast you have to run hard and fast.  Running is not magic.  I agree that getting "faster" is fine for most of us.....but for those who want to truly compete, you have to run fast....a lot.  The fast runners I spend time with do the exact opposite of the advice most often given here.  They run mostly intervals, and mostly fast, but sometimes they run easy, to help recover from the fast.  For anything over 10K I would agree with more running and more easy running.......but you won't get fast that way.  Fast is built 5K and under.......and the speed carries over to longer distances as you run more and build endurance to carry your speed further. 

This idea that injuries occur more frequently with fast running is crap.....and unsupported.  Injuries occur when you add too much stress.....which can come just as easily from too much slow running as it can from lesser amounts of fast running.  Build smart and add stress slowly......that's the only way to avoid injury.

2014-02-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Seattle

LB, 

I totally agree with your statement, "Build smart and add stress slowly......that's the only way to avoid injury." That is absolutely right. 

And I like the idea of encouraging others to work on lots of different types of running. But I think where I get hung up is that quality workouts, as you know, aren't just about going out and running as fast as you can. You are trying to hit certain paces for different types of adaptations. You run these for different time intervals, with a variety of rest intervals and form is increasingly important and might even need to be monitored by someone who knows what to look for. You do drills to work on form, but they have to be done exactly right or they aren't worth shyte...there is just a lot more room for error if one doesn't know what they are doing and why.

And I think that is why we tend to give the more simple advice of run more. I get what you are saying, maybe they won't get to be the fastest they can be this way. Helll, I know I'm not yet. But I think it gets them down the road far enough that if they discover they have some talent, or really enjoy it and want to get better THEN they can explore getting a coach or at least educating themselves on the types of quality workouts that will get them there. 

Interestingly enough I made very similar gains in terms of getting "fast" as I did while training for a marathon (lots of slower mileage) as I did when I was doing more intensity. I PRed by about 30 seconds in the 5K both ways. 

2014-02-14 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

We tell people to swim hard and fast in order to be a fast swimmer.  We tell people to bike hard and fast to become a fast cyclist.  We tell people to slow waaaay down and run more in order to be a faster runner.  Yes, you will get faster by running more, even if it's slow, but you won't get fast........to get fast you have to run hard and fast.  Running is not magic.  I agree that getting "faster" is fine for most of us.....but for those who want to truly compete, you have to run fast....a lot.  The fast runners I spend time with do the exact opposite of the advice most often given here.  They run mostly intervals, and mostly fast, but sometimes they run easy, to help recover from the fast.  For anything over 10K I would agree with more running and more easy running.......but you won't get fast that way.  Fast is built 5K and under.......and the speed carries over to longer distances as you run more and build endurance to carry your speed further. 

This idea that injuries occur more frequently with fast running is crap.....and unsupported.  Injuries occur when you add too much stress.....which can come just as easily from too much slow running as it can from lesser amounts of fast running.  Build smart and add stress slowly......that's the only way to avoid injury.

There are all kinds of opinions and ways of training even at the elite level.
But fast, fast, mostly fast is NOT universally accepted and goes against what many sport scientists have found.

My personal choice is volume through frequency with a touch of intensity, but that is a personal preference.
2014-02-14 12:33 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed

LB, 

I totally agree with your statement, "Build smart and add stress slowly......that's the only way to avoid injury." That is absolutely right. 

And I like the idea of encouraging others to work on lots of different types of running. But I think where I get hung up is that quality workouts, as you know, aren't just about going out and running as fast as you can. You are trying to hit certain paces for different types of adaptations. You run these for different time intervals, with a variety of rest intervals and form is increasingly important and might even need to be monitored by someone who knows what to look for. You do drills to work on form, but they have to be done exactly right or they aren't worth shyte...there is just a lot more room for error if one doesn't know what they are doing and why.

And I think that is why we tend to give the more simple advice of run more. I get what you are saying, maybe they won't get to be the fastest they can be this way. Helll, I know I'm not yet. But I think it gets them down the road far enough that if they discover they have some talent, or really enjoy it and want to get better THEN they can explore getting a coach or at least educating themselves on the types of quality workouts that will get them there. 

Interestingly enough I made very similar gains in terms of getting "fast" as I did while training for a marathon (lots of slower mileage) as I did when I was doing more intensity. I PRed by about 30 seconds in the 5K both ways. 

I think that's riyht, and I agree with most of what you said.  I can only post about the running I see and have done.....and I don't think I have ever said just go out and run as fast as you can.  In fact, what I have said is that the fast running is very focused, very structured, and very goal oriented.  I've also said that it is very short duration, but yeah, it's meant to build speed...and what I watch is meant to build sub 15:00 5k speed, and sub 4:15 mile speed.......but the speed is relative.  Obvioulsy the people I watch are young guns, but the programs and intensity can easily be adapted......and in fact it is, but I don't stay around to watch it, I've just seen the various protocols. 

I know you like this stuff and enjoy seeing different workouts.....here's what I watched last night with my son and another kid he trains with....all done on the overspeed treadmill.  As you will note, it has NOTHING to do with "just go run as fast as you can".

10.5             2      5.0        :35

11                2       6.0       :50

11                1       6.0        1:45

11                1       6.5        1:10

12                1       5.5          :50

13                2       4.0          :30

11                2      10.0         :15

13.5             2       2.5           :18

15                2       2.5           :16

17.5             2       2.5            :14

The first column is mph, then reps, then elevation, then duration.  As you can see, time goes down as speed goes up....speed comes down as elevation goes up, etc.  It's all science baserd and all with the principles that we all seem to agree on......increase strees slowly...and even during the workout, as speed goes up time and elevation come down.  Yeah, the last 4 reps ar 4:00/mile pace and 3:30/mile pace, but the speed and elevation drop.

You start each rep when your HR gets back to 80%....and as soon as it does you start the next rep.  I would imagine those intervals are MUCH less, time wise, then most people envision, but the gains are immense with a regular program......he does this 3 times per week (slightly different each time).  The number of reps, speed, elevation and duration are all, obviousoly, adjustable for different levels of runners.  ON the days he is not doing intervals like this he runs easy.....except for a tempo run of 3-5 miles once per week.

As you can see, it's less than 7 minutes of total running.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-14 12:55 PM

2014-02-14 12:54 PM

User image

Seattle
Oh right. You've always been careful to not just say, "run fast." Sorry if I made it sound as you had. What I'm saying is that it's complicated to give specific advice, short of writing a book or developing them a specific program.
2014-02-14 1:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed Oh right. You've always been careful to not just say, "run fast." Sorry if I made it sound as you had. What I'm saying is that it's complicated to give specific advice, short of writing a book or developing them a specific program.

For sure it is.....and it's very easy to say run more, mostly easy, sometimes fast, or whatever.  But the truth is, that's not how you get fast....you can get "faster"....but like swimming and biking, if you want to have a truly fast run, you have to run fast, and it has to be with with much more frequency and with a better p-lan than "sometimes".  These inertval workouts are very intense, but of very short duration.....but the duration builds as you are able to handle more stress, both in speed and elevation.

The idea that the best way to run faster is to run more is fine.....but it may not be the most effecient use of time or the best way to get truly fast......both important considerations for anyone doing sprint/oly triathlon.

2014-02-14 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
But the truth is, that's not how you get fast....you can get "faster"....but like swimming and biking, if you want to have a truly fast run, you have to run fast, and it has to be with with much more frequency and with a better p-lan than "sometimes".  These inertval workouts are very intense, but of very short duration.....but the duration builds as you are able to handle more stress, both in speed and elevation.

The idea that the best way to run faster is to run more is fine.....but it may not be the most effecient use of time or the best way to get truly fast......both important considerations for anyone doing sprint/oly triathlon.

Question for Junior through his 'agent'

Imagine three training zones. Easy, Moderate, Hard. Moderate being tempoish, below threshold, Hard being above threshold & VO2

What percent of time do you believe these young very fast triathletes spend in each zone for each sport, swim, bike & run ?

I am guessing you think a high percentage across all 3.
2014-02-14 1:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain But the truth is, that's not how you get fast....you can get "faster"....but like swimming and biking, if you want to have a truly fast run, you have to run fast, and it has to be with with much more frequency and with a better p-lan than "sometimes".  These inertval workouts are very intense, but of very short duration.....but the duration builds as you are able to handle more stress, both in speed and elevation.

Question for Junior through his 'agent' Imagine three training zones. Easy, Moderate, Hard. Moderate being tempoish, below threshold, Hard being above threshold & VO2 What percent of time do you believe these young very fast triathletes spend in each zone for each sport, swim, bike & run ? I am guessing you think a high percentage across all 3.

I can tell you that they get into zone 5/threshold on nearly every workout (I know you said three zones but he trains in 5).....and it's not a stretch to say EVERY workout.  The duration that they stay in that zone varies.....but being fast requires training fast, and they do, constantly.  BUT......the duration in those zones is probably much less than you might imagine......varying anywhere from 5% of some run workouts to 75% of some swim sets that are just brutal.  Everything is monitored by HR or Watts and testing is constant to keep the zones correct.  But again, the payoff is in very focused workouts that actually cut the amount of time wokring out and maximize the benefit.  He rarely runs even 15 miles per week.....but he swims 50,000 in a week, and probably bikes 3-5 hours.  The bike will increase as the season gets closer, and the run will pick up to maybe 20-25 miles per week.....never more.  The swim stays pretty constant but drops to about 35-40,000 over the summer. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-14 1:20 PM
2014-02-14 1:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain But the truth is, that's not how you get fast....you can get "faster"....but like swimming and biking, if you want to have a truly fast run, you have to run fast, and it has to be with with much more frequency and with a better p-lan than "sometimes".  These inertval workouts are very intense, but of very short duration.....but the duration builds as you are able to handle more stress, both in speed and elevation.

Question for Junior through his 'agent' Imagine three training zones. Easy, Moderate, Hard. Moderate being tempoish, below threshold, Hard being above threshold & VO2 What percent of time do you believe these young very fast triathletes spend in each zone for each sport, swim, bike & run ? I am guessing you think a high percentage across all 3.

I can tell you that they get into zone 5/threshold on nearly every workout (I know you said three zones but he trains in 5).....and it's not a stretch to say EVERY workout.  The duration that they stay in that zone varies.....but being fast requires training fast, and they do, constantly.  BUT......the duration in those zones is probably much less than you might imagine......varying anywhere from 5% of some run workouts to 75% of some swim sets that are just brutal.  Everything is monitored by HR or Watts and testing is constant to keep the zones correct.  But again, the payoff is in very focused workouts that actually cut the amount of time wokring out and maximize the benefit.  He rarely runs even 15 miles per week.....but he swims 50,000 in a week, and probably bikes 3-5 hours.  The bike will increase as the season gets closer, and the run will pick up to maybe 20-25 miles per week.....never more.  The swim stays pretty constant but drops to about 35-40,000 over the summer. 

What about just for running, as this thread is about running? And would it be fair to say that fast running is included quite frequently, though it may not actually dominate the amount of time spent running?

2014-02-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

What about just for running, as this thread is about running? And would it be fair to say that fast running is included quite frequently, though it may not actually dominate the amount of time spent running?

Agreed, so focus on running. So LB, 5% of time in a week is spent running fast ?
2014-02-14 1:34 PM

You're contradicting yourself, though.

Fast running = high stress. No doubt about it. You run fast too often, or run too fast even at low volume (like 100m sprints when you're not ready for them), and you'll get injured. You can't say injuries don't occur more frequently with fast running if you agree that running fast is itself a significant stress load. 

I and most running programs/coaches out there recognize that peak stress is one of the biggest risk factors for run injuries. Going too fast at short distances, even without significant volume of running, will lead to injuries far, far faster than a lot of aerobic volume.

I'm like a broken record, but someone's gotta say it - encouraging newer triathletes (the core audience on BT) to do all fast training is the worst training advice you could give. Literally, the worst. I can't even think of any other riskier training advice to give, honestly. Even for elites, it has to be done carefully - even Javier Gomez (#2 fastest ITU triathlete in the world) in his interview (you can find it on youtube) says straight up he has to be VERY careful with speedwork because its so easy to get injured. 

2014-02-14 1:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Yes....like I said, the workout you see above is done 3 times per week (slight variations) and is all of the running for that day.....yes, about 30 minutes total with warmup and cool down and drills.  The other 2 or 3 days are longer runs (3-7 miles) but they always include strides or some hill work...sometimes strides at 75%, sometimes strides at race pace, etc.  Also, each day there is about 10 minutes of drilling for form maintenance.

2014-02-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster

Fast running = high stress. No doubt about it. You run fast too often, or run too fast even at low volume (like 100m sprints when you're not ready for them), and you'll get injured. You can't say injuries don't occur more frequently with fast running if you agree that running fast is itself a significant stress load. 

I and most running programs/coaches out there recognize that peak stress is one of the biggest risk factors for run injuries. Going too fast at short distances, even without significant volume of running, will lead to injuries far, far faster than a lot of aerobic volume.

I'm like a broken record, but someone's gotta say it - encouraging newer triathletes (the core audience on BT) to do all fast training is the worst training advice you could give. Literally, the worst. I can't even think of any other riskier training advice to give, honestly. Even for elites, it has to be done carefully - even Javier Gomez (#2 fastest ITU triathlete in the world) in his interview (you can find it on youtube) says straight up he has to be VERY careful with speedwork because its so easy to get injured. 

This is what we're trying to get through in this discussion. Fast running = faster accumulation of stress, but kept shorter in time the amount is less. And also the difference between running fast all the time (or as fast as possible) vs making sure to include fast fairly often throughout the running. Strides are fast, but adding them in several times a week isn't a significant load increase. Add a 20-30 minute tempo to those strides & easy running and what you have is not *too* different from what he just said his kid does.

2014-02-14 1:44 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

No, stress is relevant.  High stress to you might be 80% of threshold....that's not high stress for fast people...they have worked through that stress level....yes, slowly, but they've moved past it.  He will stay at that 3:30/mile pace for his fastest intervals for 2-3 weeks, or 6-9 workouts before he moves faster, and even when he does the elevation will first come down as the speed goes up.  Elevation is how they add stress without addeing speed....and it's done very slowly.  You can sound like a broken record, that's ok, but these protocols are all science based and tried.....the rate of injury is almost non-existent if the plan is followed. 

2014-02-14 1:44 PM

User image

Seattle

Agreed, so focus on running. So LB, 5% of time in a week is spent running fast ?

Yeah, I was wondering that as well because I also am an agent for some very fast runners  and none of them run fast every (or nearly every) workout, even the middle-distance specialists. 

I imagine this varies widely when 2 other sports are introduced. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-02-14 1:46 PM
2014-02-14 1:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yes....like I said, the workout you see above is done 3 times per week (slight variations) and is all of the running for that day.....yes, about 30 minutes total with warmup and cool down and drills.  The other 2 or 3 days are longer runs (3-7 miles) but they always include strides or some hill work...sometimes strides at 75%, sometimes strides at race pace, etc.  Also, each day there is about 10 minutes of drilling for form maintenance.

Thanks. This is helping quite a bit to clarify what is going on. And is really fairly similar to what I and (at least some) others think someone should build towards. Not everyone, but have seen a number say similar. The trick is figuring out to get all that worked into a program, and the emphasis on getting all that in seems to be the bigger difference. More so than whether to include it at all. Your kid has some very good coaches to handle all this. I usually pick up things fairly well and am still working out the balance for myself, let alone how to get specific details for someone else.

2014-02-14 1:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

No, that's not what I meant, sorry.  What I tried to say is that some run workouts are only 5% fast .....some are much more, like the treadmill workout I posted, which is done 3 times per week.  I was trying to answer your question about how much time  in zone 5.  What I meant to convey is that he is in that zone EVERY day, in EVERY workout, swim bike and run.  The amount in zone 5 varies from 5 - 75%....swim is definately the highest by a wide margin.....he gets out of the pool trashed.

2014-02-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah, I was wondering that as well because I also am an agent for some very fast runners  and none of them run fast every (or nearly every) workout, even the middle-distance specialists. 

I imagine this varies widely when 2 other sports are introduced. 

Yes, Salty, but I bet they run alot more than 15 miles per week.....right?  And like you say, they aren't biking and swimming.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

FTP cycling zones vs. CPxx zones

Started by Plissken74
Views: 2004 Posts: 5

2010-03-09 9:08 PM Gaarryy

Comfort Zone - Running Faster Plan

Started by irondog
Views: 1212 Posts: 10

2014-02-13 10:30 PM Left Brain

Run faster vs. Run longer

Started by kromanowski
Views: 2615 Posts: 25

2008-09-25 2:27 PM qrkid

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2507 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

Bike Zone vs. Run Zone

Started by oipolloi
Views: 913 Posts: 3

2006-08-10 9:24 AM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.

date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.
date : November 7, 2006
author : mikericci
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.

date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.