General Discussion Triathlon Talk » False posts on strava? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: False posts on strava?

Definitely drove TO my ride with my GPS on last night. I was shocked to see a 35mph average!! That one didn't make it on to Strava

2014-02-25 6:27 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

So how do I fix this one. Between the mountains and weather my phone lost signal. You can see where the strait lines are where the GPS tried to compensate. I did a out and back. Any way to get that reflected? this is the ride don't laugh I am getting back in shape.

http://www.strava.com/activities/115971019
2014-02-25 6:57 AM
in reply to: tryingtotri0321

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by tryingtotri0321 So how do I fix this one. Between the mountains and weather my phone lost signal. You can see where the strait lines are where the GPS tried to compensate. I did a out and back. Any way to get that reflected? this is the ride don't laugh I am getting back in shape. http://www.strava.com/activities/115971019

I would just crop it at the point where you lost the good signal.  I doubt there is an easy way to fix it with any sort of valid data.

2014-02-26 10:30 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I managed to run 4.5 miles in 18 mins last night. Pretty good PR for me, especially since my pace coming off a calf injury is actually 9:45min/mile. Strava got all sorts of crazy on me, zig zag lines all over the place. No real way to fix it in Strava either. I ended up deleting it and manually entering with no map.

2014-02-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

San Jose
On a ride last year, I was stung by a bee, requiring a trip to ER. When I uploaded my rides later, I noticed I had gained a BUNCH of KOMs. I never turned off my garmin for the trip to ER. I was very quick to delete that ride, as I didn't want to be seen as "one of those guys"

On the other hand, I am tied for 4th place on a very short climb, and I'm certain the top 3 are all bogus, can even see where one of them gets on the freeway for 30 miles :-) The guy that is tied with me is a buddy, and we get a good laugh out of the guys leaving their bogus times up. In the big picture, it just really doesn't matte to me. I still enjoy comparing my effort against my past efforts, and against others that are legit (of course I'm usually WAY down the list, but still fun!)

2014-02-26 3:10 PM

User image

There's also something along the line of Strava terrorists I think their called.  They purposely drive the segments to take KOM's.  If you google it you can find links to articles or chat rooms about it.  I read through some of them last year by getting caught up in how bent out of shape some people get over Strava.

Now if it was just urban legend and the stuff I read was all fictitious then it was entertaining.

2014-02-26 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

My SO has some KOMs. He uses strava on his phone and doesn't usually record the whole ride because his phone will die, so he often just records the segment which looks a bit suspicious. It's legit though.

2014-02-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

It makes me wonder why people would purposely do this. It's almost worse than using PEDs. Are people that insecure that they need to lie about how fast they are going and use cars to fake their speed?

That said, some people probably have incorrect segments and they don't realize it. There is a track near me that has a strava segment for running. The person listed as first for that track has a speed faster than WR speed, and I'm sure it's just a mistake-- I doubt he realizes it.
2014-02-26 3:58 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by jennifer_runs It makes me wonder why people would purposely do this. It's almost worse than using PEDs. Are people that insecure that they need to lie about how fast they are going and use cars to fake their speed? That said, some people probably have incorrect segments and they don't realize it. There is a track near me that has a strava segment for running. The person listed as first for that track has a speed faster than WR speed, and I'm sure it's just a mistake-- I doubt he realizes it.

thats how all the running/bike path segments are here. you get a guy with his cellphone on a bike that has it setup to auto log everything default as a run.  there are some 3 minute milers all over the area apparently.  occasionally i'll go through and flag them all if i get reeeeeeeally bored.

2014-02-26 5:23 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
For this reason HR and/or power data should be a must to capture a KOM
2014-02-26 5:27 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by jennifer_runs It makes me wonder why people would purposely do this. It's almost worse than using PEDs. Are people that insecure that they need to lie about how fast they are going and use cars to fake their speed? That said, some people probably have incorrect segments and they don't realize it. There is a track near me that has a strava segment for running. The person listed as first for that track has a speed faster than WR speed, and I'm sure it's just a mistake-- I doubt he realizes it.

thats how all the running/bike path segments are here. you get a guy with his cellphone on a bike that has it setup to auto log everything default as a run.  there are some 3 minute milers all over the area apparently.  occasionally i'll go through and flag them all if i get reeeeeeeally bored.

Ha- I was just curious and I went back to check this one at the track and now it's gone. I don't remember who the wrong one was, but the current leader has 1:14 for 400m which is much more reasonable. Still very fast, but not bike fast.

2014-02-26 7:57 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by rjrankin83 For this reason HR and/or power data should be a must to capture a KOM

that still doesn't work for hard group rides or races.  i know a few people who faux attack at a segment start, then sit tight and sprint at the end to capture KOMs week after week. their HR and power are both extremely low, but they still technically did it. you'll see the rest of the group right behind them by 1s. 

2014-02-26 8:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83 For this reason HR and/or power data should be a must to capture a KOM

that still doesn't work for hard group rides or races.  i know a few people who faux attack at a segment start, then sit tight and sprint at the end to capture KOMs week after week. their HR and power are both extremely low, but they still technically did it. you'll see the rest of the group right behind them by 1s. 

Yeah...I think a better solution is to simply not take Strava so seriously.  

2014-02-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Yeah...I think a better solution is to simply not take Strava so seriously.  

Smartest thing I've heard all day!
2014-02-27 8:37 AM

User image

I made the mistake once. I forgot to end the 5 mile run, got in my car and returned to the hotel turning into a 10 mile really fast run.

I wouldn't have even noticed except the guy I stole KOM from posted BS, so I edited it. It happens
2014-02-27 11:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Ever have a legit ride flagged??

Seriously, its Strava, there are no medals like a triathlon and no cash for a winner like a bike race.

Use it for what it is, entertainment and training assistance and a way to make new friends.

Edited by Rudedog55 2014-02-27 11:41 AM

2014-02-27 12:44 PM
in reply to: Rudedog55

User image

Originally posted by Rudedog55 Ever have a legit ride flagged?? Seriously, its Strava, there are no medals like a triathlon and no cash for a winner like a bike race. Use it for what it is, entertainment and training assistance and a way to make new friends.

I haven't, but I know a local elite female who had her ride from a sprint tri flagged.  I suppose another female couldn't believe she rode 23+ mph for a 7 mile segment.

I long for the day I get a legit ride flagged.  Strava will send you an email, and if I get it...I'm going to print it and frame it on my wall.  

2014-02-27 1:12 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Rudedog55 Ever have a legit ride flagged?? Seriously, its Strava, there are no medals like a triathlon and no cash for a winner like a bike race. Use it for what it is, entertainment and training assistance and a way to make new friends.

I haven't, but I know a local elite female who had her ride from a sprint tri flagged.  I suppose another female couldn't believe she rode 23+ mph for a 7 mile segment.

I long for the day I get a legit ride flagged.  Strava will send you an email, and if I get it...I'm going to print it and frame it on my wall.  

Maybe to save her the embarrassment?

2014-02-27 1:39 PM
in reply to: netzer0

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by netzer0 there are plenty of cheaters on strava.

WHAT!?!?!

2014-02-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

i never saved mine, i really should have ;o)

HA!!!!! Found it

Hi Rudy,

Your ride was flagged, so your segment times were removed from the leaderboards.

I didn't see justification for the flag, so I cleared it and you now have your KOM back.

Best,
Elle
Strava Support Team

Edited by Rudedog55 2014-02-28 9:55 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » False posts on strava? Rss Feed  

of 2