General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-16 8:29 PM

Subject: Timing
I know there are many articles out there regarding a meal plan. I am currently training for a half marathon (I know that this is a tri website but I eventually would like to do my first tri). Are there any suggestions to the timing of eating?

For example, if I were to train at 6AM in the morning, should I eat my breakfast before that? When should the latest I should eat? I will also be adding a strength training routine as well. Mainly focusing on aerobic gains.

Thank you for your time investment into my question!

-JD

2014-02-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: jdibiase82

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Timing
This pretty much just depends on the individual. Many people are fine with nothing, or just coffee or water, before a shorter early AM run of 30-60 minutes. There's some evidence that this kind of "fasted training" may be helpful if you're trying to lose weight; it might also help your body more efficiently burn fat in a long race like a marathon. It also saves time! But some runners don't feel right, or even get nauseous, without eating a bit first.

For longer runs (over 45-60 minutes), most people do want something in their system before starting. What and when you eat pretty much depends on you. I have a couple of things that I can eat as close as ten minutes before heading out the door ( a small bowl of oatmeal, or an oat or rice-based granola or energy bar, coffee) with no ill effects. Anything wheat-based, and I will need an hour or more before I run. Anything with a lot of protein or fat, like eggs or peanut butter, and it's going to be even longer. You just have to experiment and see how you feel best. It took me a long time to work out the issue with wheat--normally I don't have any problem with it, but it consistently upsets my stomach if I eat it too close to running, esp. for hard efforts. So if something doesn't seem right, you might try eliminating common culprits such as wheat or dairy from your pre-run meal, even if you normally don't notice any intolerance to them.

2014-03-03 12:59 PM
in reply to: jdibiase82

User image

Subject: RE: Timing
Yes, it's quite individual.

I rarely eat before an early AM workout, however will always try to eat soon after to get started on glycogen replenishment as I almost always train twice a day. If I'm feeling hungry before an early workout, I might have a piece of fruit just to put a little something in my stomach.

Research has hinted that if you're not doing double days, timing of food is less important as total amount throughout the day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

fuel timing race day

Started by tanyab
Views: 867 Posts: 2

2007-07-08 10:29 AM oipolloi

Eating and time of day

Started by jkw001
Views: 920 Posts: 9

2006-07-13 1:35 PM Artemis

No time to eat a real dinner

Started by oceanannie
Views: 859 Posts: 7

2006-01-24 3:47 PM ellismichael

Eating before really early race start time

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1532 Posts: 21

2005-07-01 2:08 PM nliedel

time to barbque

Started by rixrock
Views: 1053 Posts: 1

2003-12-31 4:49 PM rixrock
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : January 30, 2006
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.
date : May 30, 2005
author : smeeko
A few factors are at the basis of increasing running speed. In my experience these factors are: variety, “pain,” time and injury prevention.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...