Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Feingold Diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-17 8:58 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: The Feingold Diet

Anyone? I was going to post in the nutritional thread but this is not really for triathletes. Just wondering if anyone on the board has any experience with this? Or if you just want to talk about it cuz my hubby is getting that glazed over deer in the headlights look in his eye when I bring it up .

2014-02-17 9:39 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: The Feingold Diet

Originally posted by trigal38

Anyone? I was going to post in the nutritional thread but this is not really for triathletes. Just wondering if anyone on the board has any experience with this? Or if you just want to talk about it cuz my hubby is getting that glazed over deer in the headlights look in his eye when I bring it up .

never heard of it.  What is it?

2014-02-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Bronze member

It is actually an old program which dates back to the 70's and is supposed to help people with ADD & ADHD. It eliminates food dyes, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, 3 specific preservatives (BHA, BHT, TBHQ) plus some natural foods with Salicylates - apples, tomoatoes, peppers, almonds and some other stuff. The fruits & veggies are eliminated in the first stage (6-8 weeks) then you bring them back one at a time and look for signs of a reaction. You also go free & clear with laundry soap, shampoo, soap, cleaning supplies etc.

We started it for my daughter who is trending towards being distracted in school, she is in Kindergarten. We figured we might as well give this a try but I am noticing that I actually feel a lot better. I have spent the winter feeling achy and tired all the time. I don't feel achy anymore and I am more alert. I was not even thinking of myself when I started all of this!

2014-02-17 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

It is actually an old program which dates back to the 70's and is supposed to help people with ADD & ADHD. It eliminates food dyes, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, 3 specific preservatives (BHA, BHT, TBHQ) plus some natural foods with Salicylates - apples, tomoatoes, peppers, almonds and some other stuff. The fruits & veggies are eliminated in the first stage (6-8 weeks) then you bring them back one at a time and look for signs of a reaction. You also go free & clear with laundry soap, shampoo, soap, cleaning supplies etc.

We started it for my daughter who is trending towards being distracted in school, she is in Kindergarten. We figured we might as well give this a try but I am noticing that I actually feel a lot better. I have spent the winter feeling achy and tired all the time. I don't feel achy anymore and I am more alert. I was not even thinking of myself when I started all of this!

She might just be bored.  No idea, not my kid, but if she is smart she might be getting bored with finger painting

My dad was erroneously diagnosed with RA in the late 70s.  We had no white flour or sugar, no artificial anything no red meat no dyes etc.  It certainly will do no harm and if it helps you and/or your daughter then fabulous.  Looks like they are taking out nightshades which they reccomend for some autoimmune diseases as well.  Good lcuk

2014-02-17 2:40 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Socks

She might just be bored.  No idea, not my kid, but if she is smart she might be getting bored with finger painting

My dad was erroneously diagnosed with RA in the late 70s.  We had no white flour or sugar, no artificial anything no red meat no dyes etc.  It certainly will do no harm and if it helps you and/or your daughter then fabulous.  Looks like they are taking out nightshades which they reccomend for some autoimmune diseases as well.  Good lcuk

Wow - your Dads diet sounds really involved! I never knew anything about nightshades before so this has been an education for sure. We are still eating flour and sugar and chocolate (thank goodness).

She is more of the creative type - musical, artistic etc and sitting down to write her letters on a piece of paper or count to 100 does not get her creative juices flowing . So yes, I think she finds the work boring, but like it or not - that is the work! We see the same thing at home. We might ask her to go get her clothes on and she runs off to pester the dog then forgets what you told her. But at home it is no big deal - we don't have 17 other little children to direct!

2014-02-18 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd really take a look at whether there is any research out there to support this (besides Feingold's own stuff and anecdotal stories). I've been looking at some research on the relationship between sugar consumption and hyperactivity in kids (it has to do with a writing project my kids are doing), and while there's a lot of folk wisdom saying there is one, research actually doesn't support a connection in normal kids; very weak evidence that it may have some effect for some kids with ADHD. Personally I wouldn't subject a child to a very restrictive diet unless I had a very powerful reason to--you don't want them to feel left out during class parties, for example, or other activities. I've had lots of ADHD kids in class, and with rare exceptions (two kids who had diagnosed, severe multiple food allergies to pretty common triggers, mainly wheat and dairy), really not noticed much of a difference when they were on/off one of those diets. That being said, I think all kids and adults would benefit from a diet that's low in refined sugar and minimizes processed foods.

Personally I think a lot of the so-called ADHD in schools is simply a mismatch between a child's personality/learning style and the demands of the school situation. Not everyone learns well in a large group, with mainly visual and auditory input, through abstract, paper and pencil activities and a lot of things out of context. Some kids do better in small groups or one on one, with more physical or sensory approaches, etc. Some kids are very emotional and easy thrown off focus by little upsets that others shrug off. Some may just need a little more time to mature for some of the more formal academic tasks. But the reality of the modern classroom is that there are pretty set goals and class size can limit how much teachers can differentiate. Not sure what the answer is, but you may be able to have some input into your daughter's class placement for next year, or maybe home schooling, or an alternative type school like Montessori or Waldorf, could be an option?

Another thing you might look into if your daughter is consistently avoiding paper and pencil tasks--are there any vision issues and/or delays in motor coordination? I had similar issues as a kid and hated writing like the plague until I finally got glasses and learned to type! I've found that vision/motor issues are often connected to avoidance-type behavior, particularly for reading, writing, and drawing, that can come off as looking like ADHD. An eye exam could rule out the former; if the latter is an issue, I've had students who've benefited from occupational therapy--sometimes they can suggest modifications that make writing more comfortable.

2014-02-19 8:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'd really take a look at whether there is any research out there to support this (besides Feingold's own stuff and anecdotal stories). I've been looking at some research on the relationship between sugar consumption and hyperactivity in kids (it has to do with a writing project my kids are doing), and while there's a lot of folk wisdom saying there is one, research actually doesn't support a connection in normal kids; very weak evidence that it may have some effect for some kids with ADHD. Personally I wouldn't subject a child to a very restrictive diet unless I had a very powerful reason to--you don't want them to feel left out during class parties, for example, or other activities. I've had lots of ADHD kids in class, and with rare exceptions (two kids who had diagnosed, severe multiple food allergies to pretty common triggers, mainly wheat and dairy), really not noticed much of a difference when they were on/off one of those diets. That being said, I think all kids and adults would benefit from a diet that's low in refined sugar and minimizes processed foods. Personally I think a lot of the so-called ADHD in schools is simply a mismatch between a child's personality/learning style and the demands of the school situation. Not everyone learns well in a large group, with mainly visual and auditory input, through abstract, paper and pencil activities and a lot of things out of context. Some kids do better in small groups or one on one, with more physical or sensory approaches, etc. Some kids are very emotional and easy thrown off focus by little upsets that others shrug off. Some may just need a little more time to mature for some of the more formal academic tasks. But the reality of the modern classroom is that there are pretty set goals and class size can limit how much teachers can differentiate. Not sure what the answer is, but you may be able to have some input into your daughter's class placement for next year, or maybe home schooling, or an alternative type school like Montessori or Waldorf, could be an option? Another thing you might look into if your daughter is consistently avoiding paper and pencil tasks--are there any vision issues and/or delays in motor coordination? I had similar issues as a kid and hated writing like the plague until I finally got glasses and learned to type! I've found that vision/motor issues are often connected to avoidance-type behavior, particularly for reading, writing, and drawing, that can come off as looking like ADHD. An eye exam could rule out the former; if the latter is an issue, I've had students who've benefited from occupational therapy--sometimes they can suggest modifications that make writing more comfortable.

Good thoughts! Thanks for the thoughtful comments!

Yes, I read a lot before I started the program. The diet is not actually all that restrictive. We have not eliminated sugar. It's more of a swap right now and more work for me as I am making things from scratch or searching for products in the store. For instance - instead of Rainbow Goldfish crackers she can have Annies Natural Cheddar Bunnies. Instead of Kellogs Cinnamon Graham cereal she can have Mom's best brand.  Last night we had chicken pot pie which is a family favorite meal. The changes for the diet.... I made the chicken broth and pie crust myself. The benefit was it tasted better than ever. This is not a bad thing! I've made home made bread, and today I'm going to try making graham crackers from scratch. My son commented the other day that eating home-made was THE BEST. I am a stay at home so I can do this for my kids - it's ok. The only place her diet being different comes into play is snack at school but it's not like they are eating fresh fruit or something - they are eating crap and I have sent choices for her that she is happy with. Is she "different" for eating something sent from home? I guess so, but she is also different when she is the last one to pass her computer reading test because she can't pay attention!

Other schools or Home Schooling is not an option for us. My husband is the school Superintendent and feels strongly about this issue. We have discussed it but he feels it would reflect that we don't feel the school is good enough for his own child and I respect that. He will get to hear all of my "opinions" when he gets home . And she likes being at school, making friends, she likes her teacher. She does not come home crying in frustration every day or anything.  I will do what I can at home to help her and I also volunteer weekly at the school and in both K classrooms.  She was skipping numbers counting to 100 so I found a song online - she has learned to count perfectly passed 100 in a matter of days. Is her teacher going above and beyond to relate to all the leaning styles of all the children? I don't really know...... Her teacher is a very nice lady and I don't want to throw her under the bus. I am an educator, was a Full time  teacher for 13 years(private and public schools) before we started our own family so I am pretty good about finding different ways to help the kids connect with their school work at home and I have a lot of resources at my disposal.

The bigger issue for me is the approach to K in the public school system. Who has decided that it is age appropriate for a  K student to be taking a timed computer reading test?  Or a timed Math test?  I was learning my Nursery Rhymes in Kindergarten. I read an article the other day about how K is the new first grade. But that is a topic for another thread. And don't get me started on when are the kids allowed to play and just be kids.......

Glasses - all K students are required to have eye exams before they start school in IL. Her eye exam was in the middle, not perfect, could need glasses, but at that time (August) she could still grow out of it. Her eye doc said to give her a year but maybe I'll call and see what they think about bringing her back sooner. There are other ADD signs though, although mild.

You know, being an educator for as long as I have I have seen a lot of kids with a lot of problems. I taught Pre-K with inclusion students who had some severe behavior problems. One little boy used to strip down to his underpants every time we changed activities - time for recess, there go the pants . Ha ha ha, that little guy cracked me up.  I had kids with split personalities, a little guy who punched his Mom in the face at the Pre-K screening. On the scale of issues hers are mild at best.

We have seen signs of improvement already though. Last night she followed every direction we gave her on the first request. This is huge. I take the kids to school and every day I tell her don't forget your backpack. I open the van door and she gets out with no backpack - today she had her back pack . I don't know if there are any changes at school yet.

2014-02-19 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
The studies are numerous actually - the book "Why Can't My Child Behave" details them

I have had many parents use it on their kids more with success than not
I have also used it in adults with the triad of nasal polyps, asthma and aspirin allergy - 75% success rate thus far

totally worth TRYING

but I am into seeing if something helps before going to meds
2014-02-19 8:57 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by TriToy The studies are numerous actually - the book "Why Can't My Child Behave" details them I have had many parents use it on their kids more with success than not I have also used it in adults with the triad of nasal polyps, asthma and aspirin allergy - 75% success rate thus far totally worth TRYING but I am into seeing if something helps before going to meds

Ooo, thanks for this. And the bolded is exactly what I was thinking. I have a couple of books on order from the library but they are not here yet and now I can't remember which ones I requested! I hope that is one of them.

2014-02-19 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Originally posted by TriToy The studies are numerous actually - the book "Why Can't My Child Behave" details them I have had many parents use it on their kids more with success than not I have also used it in adults with the triad of nasal polyps, asthma and aspirin allergy - 75% success rate thus far totally worth TRYING but I am into seeing if something helps before going to meds

Ooo, thanks for this. And the bolded is exactly what I was thinking. I have a couple of books on order from the library but they are not here yet and now I can't remember which ones I requested! I hope that is one of them.

adhd.com or .org is their website with a PLETHORA of info

kids usually respond to the diet in 2-4 weeks (or less) adults can take longer - I usually give dietary changes, whether eliminating gluten, dairy, nightshades or salicylates 6 weeks
2014-02-19 2:05 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by TriToy

adhd.com or .org is their website with a PLETHORA of info kids usually respond to the diet in 2-4 weeks (or less) adults can take longer - I usually give dietary changes, whether eliminating gluten, dairy, nightshades or salicylates 6 weeks

Very helpful info, thanks again!

2014-02-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I have seen quite a few kids on and off this diet in my career as a school psychologist and special education administrator.

Absent specific food allergies or sensitivities, I have only seen exactly what you would expect from a child that eats a healthier and all natural diet versus one with a lot of manufactured junk that tries to pass itself off as food.

However, I have NEVER seen it provide anything near the claims.

My advice is to work towards many of the principles of the diet, but don't stress out on being perfect.

With all of these learning challenges, the best results from good, evidenced-based practices that embrace all of the different theoretical perspectives on how to help.

It is not as sexy as most marketing claims.
It is not always easy, but I see improvement in enough families' lives to stand by them.

My favorite resource for parents of a student with, or even ADHD-like challenges, is Russell Barkley's "Taking Charge of ADHD"

Note: I am also an adult with ADHD. My blog is down temporarily. I cannot find the direct link to my interview with Everyday Health on their website, here is cross-referenced link. http://www.addrc.org/why-adhd-is-on-the-rise/

2014-02-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by eabeam I have seen quite a few kids on and off this diet in my career as a school psychologist and special education administrator. Absent specific food allergies or sensitivities, I have only seen exactly what you would expect from a child that eats a healthier and all natural diet versus one with a lot of manufactured junk that tries to pass itself off as food. However, I have NEVER seen it provide anything near the claims. My advice is to work towards many of the principles of the diet, but don't stress out on being perfect. With all of these learning challenges, the best results from good, evidenced-based practices that embrace all of the different theoretical perspectives on how to help. It is not as sexy as most marketing claims. It is not always easy, but I see improvement in enough families' lives to stand by them. My favorite resource for parents of a student with, or even ADHD-like challenges, is Russell Barkley's "Taking Charge of ADHD" Note: I am also an adult with ADHD. My blog is down temporarily. I cannot find the direct link to my interview with Everyday Health on their website, here is cross-referenced link. http://www.addrc.org/why-adhd-is-on-the-rise/

Agree with this completely. It is not like she is going to become violently ill if she eats a cupcake . I understand. I am enjoying the challenge and looking at it like an experiment for now. Kind of like Find Waldo - find decent things to eat in our little community. Surprisingly enough, if I look hard enough the choices are there. They may be hidden on the bottom shelf behind the Lucky Charms but they are there.

Thanks for info and links! She does not have the hyperactivity issue. Do you have any other recommended resources specific to ADD or is there enough overlap with these two conditions that what applies to one applies to the other?

This is all why I love BT by the way!

2014-02-20 2:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I think that there is too much to ado with the ADHD versus ADD debate.

It is all ADHD of different flavors - inattentive, hyperactive, or combined.

The question is really whether their impulsivity and focus on stimulation is internal with their thoughts/day dreaming, moving their body, or outside distractions.

Additude is not bad either, but I like their articles better than the conversation threads. http://www.additudemag.com/
The chat-rooms are a little biased towards people at their lowest points of frustration with schools, their doctors, or life in general - so things feel a little more negative and depressing than uplifting and supportive.

With everything, there is a ton of stuff on the internet... sifting through the wheat from the chafe is not easy.

I have also heard some podcast interviews from one of the developmental pediatricians from http://www.tenthstpeds.com/our-physicians/
But I forgot the guy's name or the poscast that he was interviewed.
Very reasonable, experienced and research-based.

Edited by eabeam 2014-02-20 2:21 PM
2014-03-09 1:07 PM

Expert
Sorry, haven't read all the threads, but just heard about this diet yesterday. It was discussed in a presentation of medical myths, debunked theories, and medical information. There not only wasn't any scientific validation to the diet, it actually caused significant emotional problems due to the various restrictions and parent/child distress in the enforcement of the diet.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Feingold Diet Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Radical Diet Plan?

Started by tupuppy
Views: 473 Posts: 1

2006-10-31 8:49 AM tupuppy

peanut butter diet (welshy)

Started by autumn
Views: 492 Posts: 4

2006-09-27 8:20 AM TBZ

New Use for Diet Coke and Mentos

Started by captantony
Views: 648 Posts: 11

2006-06-09 10:15 PM scuba-punk

Major Diet Coke Milestone

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 903 Posts: 24

2006-02-19 12:25 AM saloman

McDonald's Diet

Started by line
Views: 1278 Posts: 20

2005-08-15 10:30 AM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet
date : June 21, 2011
comments : 1
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies

date : May 31, 2011
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?
date : April 15, 2011
comments : 1
The latest in sports nutrition from researchers around the nation.

date : January 20, 2011
Should I buy organic or standard foods? Fresh or frozen vegetables? Low-fat or fat-free milk? Get tips inside.
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : November 14, 2004
In this day and age of energy bars, protein powders and weight gain shakes, many athletes forget about “real" foods such as peanut butter. Peanut butter is perhaps the best sport food around.