General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used Zipp 808s vs new Flo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-17 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Subject: Used Zipp 808s vs new Flo
Hey everyone I have done a little searching but haven't really found the answer I'm needing. I am wondering if I should go with a used set of Zipp 808s or new Flo wheels. Essentially they are going to be the same price so is there a benefit to either, both are about $1000? The zipps I'm looking at do come with a wheel cover for the rear.

Is there any aero data comparing the two? Now that the Flos have been out for a little while how are they holding up? I know zipps are tested tried and true but what about the Flos?

I'm leaning more towards the zipps but I'm still on the fence and want to make sure I make the right choice since I'm getting ready to drop a grand on wheelsl

Thanks

2014-02-17 2:44 PM
in reply to: fubar44

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Used Zipp 808s vs new Flo

I can't find any direct aero comparison data. A review on Tririg says: "They get you 90% of the big-name performance at 25% of the price". I'm not sure how accurate that 90% statement is... but it gets the point across.

Here's an article that's somewhat helpful: http://aerogeeks.com/2013/01/17/aero-wheelsets-and-why-it-doesnt-matter-much-which-one-you-buy/

If you want it now, or you want ones that will resell for about what you paid, or you want a tested, reliable, set-up, I vote Zipp.

If you can wait for a mid-March shipment, and want to support the "little guy", I'd vote FLO. Not that FLO's aren't reliable - their track record is awesome - but only 3 years deep

If it were me? I'd go Zipp.

2014-02-17 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by fubar44

Hey everyone I have done a little searching but haven't really found the answer I'm needing. I am wondering if I should go with a used set of Zipp 808s or new Flo wheels. Essentially they are going to be the same price so is there a benefit to either, both are about $1000? The zipps I'm looking at do come with a wheel cover for the rear.

Is there any aero data comparing the two? Now that the Flos have been out for a little while how are they holding up? I know zipps are tested tried and true but what about the Flos?

I'm leaning more towards the zipps but I'm still on the fence and want to make sure I make the right choice since I'm getting ready to drop a grand on wheelsl

Thanks

The difference is minimal in FLO vs Zipp and really when you put the cost versus the difference FLO wins. They have a bit heavier wheels but the theory of weight over aero has been debunked numerous times.

Zipp has more long-term reliability, FLO has unbelievable customer service. You can basically by the entire FLO set for the cost of Zipp 808 FC's.

What Zipps are you looking at? If they are 1k I would assume either used, or late model?

I'll end with by what are you getting out of Zipps versus FLO's other then a the name brand on the side of your wheel.
2014-02-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
I had the same dilemma and I went with FLO, 60/90 set up. I never had Zipp wheels, so I can't compare them, but I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I will start with the cons:
a. FLO wheels are a little heavier than Zipp (if you don't race hilly courses, this shouldn't be a critical factor)
b. You will most likely have to wait longer to get FLO wheels than if you go with Zipp

Pros:
a. Brand new product: When I was doing my research I realized that there were a lot of used Zipp wheels for sale. Every seller swore that their wheels were in mint condition, only were used for racing, and all of them had less than $500 miles. Not sure if that was true or not, but I wasn't able to inspect the wheels before purchasing them and didn't want to get scammed.
b. Customer Service: AMAZING. The owners answer your emails and calls personally.
c. You don't need to change your brake pads. Not a major cost, but I like how I can switch back and forth between racing and training wheels without having to change my brake pads too.

I had my wheels for about 6 months now and they are holding very well. I not only race on them, but I also train on them sometimes, so I put quite a few miles and they look like brand new. In regards to aerodynamics, not sure how they compare though.

Good luck! I am sure that you will be happy with whatever decision you make!

Edited by davidfedez 2014-02-17 3:33 PM
2014-02-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I also have FLO's - 90/90 setup w/ disc cover. Never had Zipp's, so I can't draw a real comparison, but from what I was able to gather in my own research last year before I bought is that the wheel shape of FLO vs the new FC's is the same torroidal shape, and as such they will be nearly identical aerodynamically.  There is no measurable evidence that suggests Zipp's golf ball dimples add anything other than a recognizable marketing item over a smooth surface.  If the Zipp's are the older non-FireCrest wheels, then the FLO's should be more aero by roughly the same margin as the actual FireCrest wheels would be.  One big detail that you left off, I think, is wheel depth of each set.  Obviously, if one set is 60mm and the other is 90mm, the expected performance comparison isn't apples-to-apples.  So, take all of the preceding under the assumption that both sets are identical wheel depths.

Physically, the only real difference (aside from the aforementioned dimples) I've ever noticed on Zipps is that the spokes have a seal/nipple/whatever on the inside of the fiber dish - I assumed that it is to make truing easier. The FLO's simply have spoke holes.  Unless you will be truing your own wheels, this shouldn't matter to you at all, I'd say.

On resale value - from what I've been seeing, FLO's have essentially been holding retail value when selling used. I assume that this is largely due to the need to wait for the next pre-order to get any.  This will probably change a bit once FLO is able to get up to the point of having actual stock levels - something they have said they want to do in 2014.

In short, between the two at the same price - it's a coin toss.  If anything, the difference maker might be the included disc cover on the Zipp's - it'll save you the $90 of ordering a new one for the FLO's.

2014-02-17 4:35 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
I would be interested in the 90/90 from FLO as it would be the most aero combo outside of a 90/disc. The Zipp wheels are 2007's so no telling how many miles are actually on them. The seller says that they were only used for racing, which I believe because I have not actually ever seen anyone train on 808's, doesn't mean it doesn't happen its just I have never seen it.

2014-02-17 5:01 PM

Indiana
Just as an FYI....Zipp claims and has provided data that the newer Firecrest rim is much more aero efficient than the old shape (which a 2007 808 would be the older shape). In fact Zipp claims the Firecrest 404 is equal to or better than the old 808. The Flo more closely mimic the newer Zipp Firecrest rim and are likely more aero than the older Zipps. That said I have no experience with any of the Flo wheels while I have ridden Zipp carbon tubulars in the older rim shape and currently have 404 carbon clinchers in the Firecrest shape. I have had absolutely no issues with any of my Zipp wheels. The durability has been great and I train on them (ride daily) and am 180lbs. They have basically been bomb proof which I can't say about some other wheels from the experiences of others I ride with.
2014-02-21 9:00 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by davidfedez

c. You don't need to change your brake pads. Not a major cost, but I like how I can switch back and forth between racing and training wheels without having to change my brake pads too.

This is one thing that I liked. No changing brake pads. I've got a Flo 60/90 set up and love it. They are a little heavier wheel, so as David said, it could make a small difference on hillier courses (that's one reason I went with a 60 front instead of a 90 front).

Also, I use mine for training all the time and the fact they are an aluminum wheel with a carbon flaring makes them very durable (and more heavy). Not sure if they are more durable than the all carbon Zipp, but I have had zero issues with mine and love them.

Also, for what it's worth, you can customize the sticker on the Flo's, so you can match your wheel accents to your bike. Matching wheels adds "cool factor" I think.

2014-02-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I can't find any direct aero comparison data. A review on Tririg says: "They get you 90% of the big-name performance at 25% of the price". I'm not sure how accurate that 90% statement is... but it gets the point across.

Here's an article that's somewhat helpful: http://aerogeeks.com/2013/01/17/aero-wheelsets-and-why-it-doesnt-matter-much-which-one-you-buy/

If you want it now, or you want ones that will resell for about what you paid, or you want a tested, reliable, set-up, I vote Zipp.

If you can wait for a mid-March shipment, and want to support the "little guy", I'd vote FLO. Not that FLO's aren't reliable - their track record is awesome - but only 3 years deep

If it were me? I'd go Zipp.

This is good information! I just posted a similar question under the Gear heading. Thank you!

Patti
2014-02-21 6:29 PM

As others have stated, the Flo is based upon a wider rim that "fits/mates" better with your 23mm clincher tire. The older Zipp 808 based upon the narrower rim is going to suffer aero wise from this older design. How much may be better stated as "it depends". The wider Flo is also inflated to a slightly lesser psi and in theory could provide a more comfortable ride. I have had a set of older design Zipp 404 that I had no issue with. However, I have made a move to Flo because of the above statements.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used Zipp 808s vs new Flo Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zipp, Hed, Karbon Spped, Boyd, Flo

Started by triguy1043
Views: 1468 Posts: 4

2012-09-18 3:03 PM Yellowbull

New vs used, local vs online, rent vs buy - Wetsuits for Southerners with limited funds

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1282 Posts: 5

2011-09-30 5:21 PM MacMadame

New Used Zipp Wheels Price Guide Pages: 1 2

Started by electusunus
Views: 8855 Posts: 33

2011-04-07 8:08 AM jgerbodegrant

LBS Loyalty | Buy New vs. Used

Started by dpeeples
Views: 1439 Posts: 13

2009-02-16 7:10 PM caelric

New vs Used Bikes

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1846 Posts: 5

2007-12-06 10:54 AM mgmoore7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.