General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to practice open water swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-17 1:46 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Need to practice open water swim
Going to do sprint with my 1st open water swim this summer. Apprehensive to say the least, I about drowned in the pool on my first tri last year, not really but it was bad experience with hyperventilation. Any specifics on when, where and how best to practice supervised in open water?

2014-03-01 11:20 AM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Subject: RE: Need to practice open water swim
where are you located in KY? If it's around Lexington/Georgetown area, I'll be practicing at Mallard Point lake when the water warms up, you can swim with me if you'd like.
2014-03-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

New user
Georgetown ky

I have never done open water competition, so I am little anxious
2014-03-05 11:33 AM

User image

New user
I also need to pick up big boy tri suit
2014-03-05 9:21 PM

Buckhead Border Challenge?
2014-03-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: Ridgeway

User image

New user
Buckhead border challenge?? What's that?

2014-03-06 3:59 PM

Oh, I assumed that was the tri you were referring to.
It's a sprint & oly distance tri, in Louisville/Jeffersonville. The swim is in the Ohio.
2014-03-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: Ridgeway

User image

New user
No there is one in Cincinnati this summer that is in Ohio river, I plan to do? How much does current and wet suit help?
2014-03-07 7:10 PM

New user
Edgewood, KY
If its the Cincinnati Triathlon at the end of June, I don't think you will need a wetsuit. Water will be pretty warm, around 80 I think. You will not even notice the current, but you do swim with the current, so it is a quick swim. However, debris can be an issue. Nothing serious, sticks, bottles etc... I really enjoyed the race in 2011. Might do it again this year.
I actually think the Mallard Point Triathlon swim would be slightly more difficult. Mallard Point would be a great place to open water swim….
I will sign up for the Lame Duck Tri if they do it again this year. I lived in Mallard Point when I was in high school in the late 80's…
2014-03-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: gregso71

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Mallard point is a great place to swim! Biking and running there is another story! lol. Its definitely one of my favorites.

Coach, when it warms up, I'll get back on here and invite you out to swim in the lake to get some practice.
2014-04-21 12:29 PM

User image

Originally posted by Bradleykd

Mallard point is a great place to swim! Biking and running there is another story! lol. Its definitely one of my favorites.

Coach, when it warms up, I'll get back on here and invite you out to swim in the lake to get some practice.

I'd like to do some open water swimming this summer also. I'm in Richmond.

2014-05-14 9:21 PM
in reply to: jblaylock

Where is the mallard point lake? I am doing the race the bridge challenge in Louisville on 6/1 and the predicted water temp is 70 degrees. This is my first time wearing a wetsuit in a race and would like to practice some open water swimming as well in a place that's not too far away.
2014-05-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: drstewart1221

User image

New user
KY
It's in Georgetown. Unfortunately, there's really not any public access so you have to have one of the residents allow you to swim from their place. Good luck with Race the Bridge. It's a fun race despite that nasty river! lol
2014-05-24 3:01 PM

I'm just getting into Triathlons and was wondering the same thing. I'm located in Northern Kentucky right across the river from Cincinnati. I'm also looking for the places to get some open water swims in, I have no clue where to look!!
I'm going to try to go watch and cheer the 2014 triathlon and hopefully do it myself in 2015!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to practice open water swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open water swim training

Started by fca_efritz
Views: 1734 Posts: 3

2011-06-06 8:06 PM fca_efritz

Open Water Swim. Places? People?

Started by eatmyfannypac
Views: 4908 Posts: 8

2010-06-07 9:56 PM SammyKarch

Ohio River Open water 2.4 Aug. 14

Started by eatmyfannypac
Views: 1377 Posts: 1

2010-05-01 9:27 AM eatmyfannypac

open water swim in Louisville?

Started by drbill
Views: 2759 Posts: 3

2009-04-13 9:35 PM bmass

Louisville area open water swimming

Started by TriathletePT
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2007-11-14 10:28 AM TriathletePT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.
date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was talking to this guy I work with who's son does tri's and he says that fish and sharks "NIP" at you while you are swimming." Okay so now I am freaked out.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.