General Discussion Triathlon Talk » starting Trainer Road, anything to note Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-18 2:16 PM

Subject: starting Trainer Road, anything to note
Any tips/tricks or concerns a new user should know of? I will be using virtual power and a PC. It doesnt seem like there has been progress on nailing down the accuracy of virtual power, and I dont have a baseline expectation from training with power. If anyone has had success with a certain PSI/cranks on their trainer for accuracy it would be great, I have a KK road machine.

2014-02-18 2:28 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: starting Trainer Road, anything to note
Assuming you are using a GSC or something similar for power, set the power smoothing on TR to 3 or 5 seconds. At 1 second it jumps around quite a bit. However, if you do something with a TON of intervals (like Sufferfest Revolver) you might want to set it back to 1 second so you get instant feedback on the start/end of the interval.

After about 18 months of using TR I finally downloaded some of the Sufferfest vids that go with it. It made a huge difference in my performance on the rides. Watching the races, having the sounds go off, the music (sometimes) really makes me ride a lot harder. Worst case I throw iTunes on over the music but still get pumped for the ATTACKS.

Don't bum out on your FTP or get too excited about it right away. Sounds like you know that already though. It's a number that you just want to work with to make sure you are making progress, it's not the end of the world power number.

Have fun.
2014-02-20 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4951561

User image

New user
I would suggest that you start with the 20 min FTP test to establish your thresholds since the workouts you select to target power will be based on your FTP. I think doing intervals focused on power is the way to go. I put TR horizontal at the bottom of my screen and watch Netflix to pass the time. Good luck!
2014-02-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
KK road machine is probably the best of the trainers to use as it doesn't have the warm up period that the cycleops do. Your "power" number will still be high, but it will be consistent, which is all that counts. Be sure to keep tire pressure consistent.

I find the 20 minute test overstates FTP, which could either be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. Good, in that your workouts will be set higher than you're capable of holding down, so you'll work harder. Bad, for the same reason. I like the 8 minute test, personally, and find it pretty accurate.

What you'll never see from virtual power is that a consistent, smooth pedal stroke produces steady power, not an uneven, mashing one. You can't see it in virtual power because it's a 'wattage' based on variable wheel speed and a known resistance curve - since the wheel will smoothly spin up and down speeds, it will appear easier to hold higher wattages than it is. It can be very tempting to muscle through intervals, but you're much better off in all aspects by developing a quick and smooth pedal stroke. In another thread going on right now, I suggested that spinning upwards of 130RPM without bouncing around at all should be a common drill.

If you're going to ride more than 4 days a week, mix in recovery rides - say 20-40 minutes at 50% FTP at 85-95 cadence. They are worth their weight in gold
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » starting Trainer Road, anything to note Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 1511 Posts: 6

2013-02-21 10:34 AM reidweber

Anything special about a trainer skewer?

Started by nc452010
Views: 752 Posts: 7

2010-10-11 8:43 AM Parr8hed

FREE bike trainer podcasts/videos/anything!

Started by bkool30
Views: 823 Posts: 3

2010-03-04 3:07 PM fsr402

California road rage trial to start this week. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ChrisM
Views: 4536 Posts: 58

2009-11-03 9:23 PM daisymouse

Avg speed on road -vs- trainer?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1222 Posts: 3

2004-11-29 10:43 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.