General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston marathon?!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-19 1:46 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: Boston marathon?!?
Is anyone going to Boston this year who would like to meetup for a beer, carbs or touristing?

I am flying in Thursday evening and back out Tuesday afternoon. I'll be staying near the airport.

2014-03-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Boston marathon?!?

Originally posted by dfroelich Is anyone going to Boston this year who would like to meetup for a beer, carbs or touristing? I am flying in Thursday evening and back out Tuesday afternoon. I'll be staying near the airport.

OMG how did I miss this. YES!!

I'll be in Friday and then heading down to NYC Tuesday afternoon (via bus)

I am staying in cambridge. I did the Sam Adams tour last year and it was amazing. Plan to do Harpoon (and maybe SA again.) I have a friend running the BAA 5K on Sat, I may watch that then pick up my stuff. Also thinking of going to a Red Sox game Sunday (I did this last year.)

2014-03-06 2:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Cool!
I definitely want to check out the SA brewery. I'll probably also try to find some shooting locations from 'the town'. Haha, I love that movie. Besides that, I have no plans.

I'm pretty excited!
2014-03-31 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
I just wanted to pop in and wish you two well with the race and your trip. I'll be there as well, but with lots of family and a packed schedule. I'll be doing the slow run/walk/photo taking during the race since my training isn't up to speed due to an injury a couple of months ago, but it will be great fun nonetheless.

Cheers,
2014-04-16 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I'll be coming in on Saturday night, after all! I have no clue where Thursday came from, but since I had already asked for those days off work...I guess I'll be able to relax a bit more before my flight!
If you want to hit the SA brewery Tuesday before your bus, let me know. I fly out at 4:55 (my friends all fly out around noon), so would be going to one of the earlier tours. They run every 45 minutes from 10-3, so I'm thinking...11 or noon. http://www.samueladams.com/brewery-and-craft/our-brewery
Message me if that sounds good.
2014-04-16 1:20 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dfroelich I'll be coming in on Saturday night, after all! I have no clue where Thursday came from, but since I had already asked for those days off work...I guess I'll be able to relax a bit more before my flight! If you want to hit the SA brewery Tuesday before your bus, let me know. I fly out at 4:55 (my friends all fly out around noon), so would be going to one of the earlier tours. They run every 45 minutes from 10-3, so I'm thinking...11 or noon. http://www.samueladams.com/brewery-and-craft/our-breweryMessage me if that sounds good.

We are going at 9:40 am (I know LOL) feel free to join! I think we are headed to Harpoon after that

2014-04-16 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
haha...we'll see! That seems awfully early!
2014-04-16 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
What time are you shooting for (for the race)?
Those early hills have me completely lost on how to pace this thing. I can only imagine that at the top of heartbreak, the current average pace will be indicative of finishing time. Until then...its a total crap shoot.
2014-04-17 5:43 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dfroelich What time are you shooting for (for the race)? Those early hills have me completely lost on how to pace this thing. I can only imagine that at the top of heartbreak, the current average pace will be indicative of finishing time. Until then...its a total crap shoot.

Yeahh, it's TRICKY. My goal is a slight positive split. You read that right. But VERY slight. 

As for time, it's hard to say because I know what my fitness and race times suggest but there are a lot of variables I cannot control. I ran an untapered half in 1:25:30 so let's say a window of 2:59 and 3:05? But I am not too much of a numbers chaser. We will see how I feel.

How about yourself?

2014-04-17 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4952248

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I ran a 1:19:30 HM this spring. Although it was a pancake flat out and back, there was a pretty stout headwind going out. I think a 1:19 would be possible on a perfect day... So... I'm shooting for 2:55 ish. If there is a tailwind (looking possible) and cool weather (very likely), I may go for sub 2:50. (or I might get to Wellesley and just hang out for a bit, haha).
I'm also thinking a positive split is the way to go. Perhaps 2-3 minutes?
2014-04-17 6:35 PM

User image

Seattle
I think that's a very reasonable goal. You might want to get a little closer on your splits if you can. Take her easy in that first 5 miles. The first mile is particularly steep. There's another steep downhill before the ups, too. How are you at uphill running? Wellesley isn't a bad plan B

2014-04-17 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I do a lot of trail running, and everything out here is going up or down...so I would say I'm ready for that. But, at mile 20, everything hurts, haha. I ran Seattle in 2012 and those late hills were absolutely brutal. I was slow slogging it all the way up.

If it feels like a 2:50 day, I am thinking 1:24 and 1:26 would be all right. If I start out looking for 2:55, then 1:27 and 1:28. But, really, I have never raced a marathon and felt like I 'nailed' it...and from what everyone says, this is not the course for that (at least not the first time). Usually I feel great and then blow up in the last 10k.

So, I'll be happy with whatever!
2014-04-20 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU RUNNING TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!

2014-04-25 12:50 PM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Wow, that was a rough race!
I started out right on pace for a 2:55. The weather was warm, so I thought I'd be slower. After about 10 miles, both quads started locking up. It wasn't too bad, so I kept almost on pace through the half. I figured the flats would help to loosen everything. That never happened, and so the second half became a slog-fest. I finished in 3:17, my slowest marathon in almost 2 years.

If it was any other race, I may have just took the DNF, but hundreds of thousands of spectators have a magic way of keeping you going!

The best part was running through Boston College. My running club is the Beer Chasers, and so anytime a BC student saw my shirt, the whole crowd erupted. It was awesome.
2014-04-28 12:30 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dfroelich Wow, that was a rough race! I started out right on pace for a 2:55. The weather was warm, so I thought I'd be slower. After about 10 miles, both quads started locking up. It wasn't too bad, so I kept almost on pace through the half. I figured the flats would help to loosen everything. That never happened, and so the second half became a slog-fest. I finished in 3:17, my slowest marathon in almost 2 years. If it was any other race, I may have just took the DNF, but hundreds of thousands of spectators have a magic way of keeping you going! The best part was running through Boston College. My running club is the Beer Chasers, and so anytime a BC student saw my shirt, the whole crowd erupted. It was awesome.

Bah! So sorry to hear that. I had a crap race too. Had a fever and was forced to alter goals. I think even if I were feeling well it would have been tough. It was a little hot for this Seattleite! I hear ya on deciding to suck it up instead of a DNF with those lovely spectators!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston marathon?!? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Capital City Marathon and Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1488 Posts: 3

2009-04-24 10:34 AM Rugbyruss

Snake River Half Marathon March 1?

Started by c_cic
Views: 1222 Posts: 3

2008-01-18 8:04 AM c_cic

Seattle Marathon 2007

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1429 Posts: 14

2007-11-30 9:06 AM BellinghamSpence

Bellingham Bay Marathon

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 922 Posts: 1

2007-09-24 1:05 PM BellinghamSpence

Seattle and or Portland Marathon???

Started by piggpen35
Views: 2107 Posts: 8

2007-08-14 8:14 PM Ranman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area