General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-19 7:37 PM

Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Has anyone done this race before? Anything I should be on the lookout for as this is scheduled to be my first triathlon ever?

2014-02-19 11:50 PM
in reply to: jrob

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Yes welcome Jrob.

OK. Do the practice swim they offer before the race. That is a race I am targeting also, have done before, will swim with you if you want.

But, do the practice swim. When you get in the water don't flail, swim. Left right left right. You will make the time limit if you keep your arms moving. That is what it boils down to, to me, in your first race - just stay calm in the water. Just before you take off, get some river/lake water in your goggles and of course empty it out. Submerse them, empty out. Will help with fog.

After water, you are home free. Bike is straight no big hills, run is flat you are golden.

Most of all, have fun.

Let me know if you have specific questions when you get closer.

2014-02-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: MikeinGR

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by MikeinGR

Yes welcome Jrob.

OK. Do the practice swim they offer before the race. That is a race I am targeting also, have done before, will swim with you if you want.

But, do the practice swim. When you get in the water don't flail, swim. Left right left right. You will make the time limit if you keep your arms moving. That is what it boils down to, to me, in your first race - just stay calm in the water. Just before you take off, get some river/lake water in your goggles and of course empty it out. Submerse them, empty out. Will help with fog.

After water, you are home free. Bike is straight no big hills, run is flat you are golden.

Most of all, have fun.

Let me know if you have specific questions when you get closer.

Solid advice. I do the Sprint every year, so I can't comment too much on the Olympic, but the sprint is also a very nice course. Pretty flat and fast on both the bike and run, and the water isn't really choppy. It's pretty well organized.

The only real complaint most people have is that once the Half distance race starts (they go first, then sprint, then Olympic), there really isn't much opportunity to warm up in the water due to the way the water start/finish is organized. The transition area drives me nuts, too, because of how long it is, but they really don't have another option to set it up. You can get stuck in a bit of traffic with people who don't really know how to stay out of the main aisle, but that's a minor gripe.

As Mike said, enjoy!!!
2014-02-20 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

Thanks guys. Thanks for the knowledge about the flat run and bike. That sounds good to me as I don't really have a strength in any area yet. Yeah I've read the transition can get a little crowded there. Thanks for the invite to practice the OWS prior to the race. I may take you up on that as I will definitely want to get a little OW experience before the race. I will let you know if I'm up for it as we get closer. Also thanks for the goggles tip.

Are either of you planning on doing any other tris in michigan this year?

Edited by jrob 2014-02-20 5:43 PM
2014-04-02 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
I have done it the last 3 years. The first two I did the 70.3, last year Olympic Distance and same as this year. Wear a wet suit, no matter what your distance is. Nice course.
2014-04-21 2:43 AM

yeah jrob i done it on last year and it was a great experience , i was not so good in race but also not that bad. But yes i agree with jgarrett that no matter what your distance is. Nice course.

2014-05-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: jessicadonahue

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I've never done the GR Tri before and I'm coming down from Traverse City for the 1/2... a few questions for those that know... How long is the run from the swim to the transition area? Is the Transition area really as long as the map makes it look? Is there an aid station on the 1/2 bike course? How often are the aid stations on the run course?

Thanks!

2014-05-08 1:15 AM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by emferg

I've never done the GR Tri before and I'm coming down from Traverse City for the 1/2... a few questions for those that know... How long is the run from the swim to the transition area? Is the Transition area really as long as the map makes it look? Is there an aid station on the 1/2 bike course? How often are the aid stations on the run course?

Thanks!

I have only ever done the sprint, so I can't really answer your last couple of questions.

The run from the water to the entry of the transition area is probably 200-300 yards.
Yes, the transition area is *incredibly* long. You'll understand better when you get there, but they can only fit really about a single rack on each side of the road, so they need a LOT of space. It's highly annoying, but there isn't much else they could do in this general area.
For reference, I think the sprint course has two aid stations. Maybe three if you count one right as you are exiting transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Started by newbiethalete
Views: 1085 Posts: 1

2012-01-10 8:03 AM newbiethalete

Grand Haven Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Started by leftrunner
Views: 1518 Posts: 4

2011-07-08 8:11 PM tsoule

Metro Health Grand Rapids marathon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by leftrunner
Views: 3431 Posts: 31

2010-10-18 3:45 PM maverickbassets

Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by leftrunner
Views: 1642 Posts: 5

2010-05-14 6:25 AM HNewman

Metro Health Grand Rapids marathon : Official Thread

Started by davidson3
Views: 2162 Posts: 13

2009-10-17 11:59 PM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.