Other Resources The Political Joe » Westboro Baptist "Church" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-21 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Westboro Baptist "Church"

So word is that the Westboro Baptist "Church" (yes it is in sarcastic quotation marks) is going to protest at he vigil of Hailey Owens, the 10 yr old girl that was abducted and killed. The details of this horrendus crime against this 10 yr old girl are sickening.

An Amber Alert was issued after two witnesses told police that a man pulled Hailey, of Springfield, into a gold Ford Ranger, while she was walking about a block from her home, according to a probable cause document.

The man pulled up next to the girl and asked her for directions, one of the witnesses said. Hailey turned away from the car. The man opened his driver's-side door and motioned for her to come back, according to the witness. She took a couple of steps closer, and the man "lunged out of the vehicle, grabbed the girl with his left hand and threw her into the truck 'like a rag doll,'" the probable cause document said.

Both witnesses gave the same description of the man and his vehicle, and one of them was able to get the license plate number.

Police traced the plates back to Wood's parents, who told them that their son drove the car.

Police went to Wood's home on Tuesday night and, after he drove up to the residence, took him in for questioning. Officers who did an initial search of the house for Hailey could smell bleach in the basement, and the floor was wet. After getting a search warrant, investigators found Hailey's body in a storage bin. She had suffered what appeared to be a gunshot to her head, according to police.

It really angers me that a "church" (their words, not mine because this is not a church) could be som heartless and picket a vigil like this. It sickens me even more that they would do this. I know they have a reputation for causing scenes, but how many of us just wish something could be done to keep them away. I love it when I hear of groups of bikers and other people banning together to form barriers so they cannot get close to the funerals or vigils and if they ever came to Memphis, I want to be part of the group that keeps them at their distance. R

Rant over

2014-02-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Westboro Baptist "Church"

Eh....we deal with them all the time.  They're just a buncyh of kooks.  Last week they picketed the University of Missouri over Michael Sams.  The student body formed a ring around the campus and wouldn't let them near.  They like to picket soldier's funerals as well and the "Patriot Guard", a gorup of Harley Riders who are former military, always show up as well to keep them at a distance.  They're just idiots, not really a problem, and better off ignored.

I had to personally deal with the pastor at one funeral in town.....he said to me, "God hates you"......I replied, "yeah, he must." 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-21 9:45 AM
2014-02-21 10:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ashamed they are from my state but nothing I can do about that.

Yep the Patriot Guard should be there in full force. 

2014-02-21 10:43 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

What source said they were going to show up?

I think they just like publicity and like getting a response. Seems they threaten to show up to lots of different things and often don't seem to make it. My BIL had a best friend who was killed in Afghanistan last summer, Westboro supposedly threatened to come to Idaho and protest his funeral. Of course they did not show up. 

I wonder about the sources of these things sometimes. Is it always them saying they will be there or do people spread the rumor to get support for whatever it is they are supposedly protesting. 

Not trying to take away from this little girl or from the fact that the Westboro crazie are all sick and twisted. But kinda makes you wonder when "sources" start saying they are showing up to all sorts of things all over the country. 

2014-02-21 10:53 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I think they just like publicity and like getting a response. Seems they threaten to show up to lots of different things and often don't seem to make it. My BIL had a best friend who was killed in Afghanistan last summer, Westboro supposedly threatened to come to Idaho and protest his funeral. Of course they did not show up. 

I wonder about the sources of these things sometimes. Is it always them saying they will be there or do people spread the rumor to get support for whatever it is they are supposedly protesting. 

Not trying to take away from this little girl or from the fact that the Westboro crazie are all sick and twisted. But kinda makes you wonder when "sources" start saying they are showing up to all sorts of things all over the country. 

The usually show up in Missouri or Kansas, and frequently Illinois.....not sure about Idaho, probably more like you said.  They'll be at the little girls funeral, bet it, the publicity on that case is massive.

2014-02-21 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Kevin Smith has some good stories on how him and his fans used to mess with them when they were protesting his movie "Red State".

2014-02-21 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Left Brain

The usually show up in Missouri or Kansas, and frequently Illinois.....not sure about Idaho, probably more like you said.  They'll be at the little girls funeral, bet it, the publicity on that case is massive.

Whether they show up or not, just the threat has created some good outcomes. I had never heard of the Patriot Guard before these crazies came around. Even in podunk Idaho at a funeral for a guy from a town of 35k people, the Patriot Guard had 40 or so bikes there all waving the flag. It was nice to see and I know the family appreciated it. 

2014-02-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Whether they show up or not, just the threat has created some good outcomes. I had never heard of the Patriot Guard before these crazies came around. Even in podunk Idaho at a funeral for a guy from a town of 35k people, the Patriot Guard had 40 or so bikes there all waving the flag. It was nice to see and I know the family appreciated it. 

yeah I love it when the people band together and keep them away!

2014-02-24 10:44 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My Bible verse for the Westboro Baptist members:

Proverbs 6:16-19

There are six things the Lord hates,
    seven that are detestable to him:
17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,
        hands that shed innocent blood,
18         a heart that devises wicked schemes,
        feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19         a false witness who pours out lies
        and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Hmm, so now I wonder who is going to have a very uncomfortable conversation come judgement day.

2014-02-24 1:56 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by tuwood

17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,

Hmm, so now I wonder who is going to have a very uncomfortable conversation come judgement day.

Interestingly enough, they post that same verse on their website as evidence that God hates the things man does.  Which proves, to them, the notion "God loves everyone" is a terrible lie.  They have a whole section of God's hatred in the Bible on their website.

2014-02-25 11:58 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,

Come on its ok. Ends Justify the means right?

2014-02-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Originally posted by chirunner134

17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,

You can throw in a few about casting stones, frustration with Pharisees, not judging others....
2014-02-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Originally posted by chirunner134

17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,

You can throw in a few about casting stones, frustration with Pharisees, not judging others....
2014-02-26 3:08 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Champion
Calgary
2014-02-26 7:33 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Their reasons for picketing is a complete non sequitur as well.  There is zero correlation.

2014-02-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

Their reasons for picketing is a complete non sequitur as well.  There is zero correlation.

God hates you.

2014-02-28 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
2014-02-28 10:49 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bootygirl I like their neighbors

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/20/nation/la-na-nn-westboro-rainbow-house-20130320

Soldiers know.

2014-03-17 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/westboro-baptist-church-fo... . I wonder if there are any funeral protests planned when this clown checks out. I only hope the experience is memorably agonizing for the entire family and congregation.
2014-03-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by mdg2003 http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/westboro-baptist-church-fo... . I wonder if there are any funeral protests planned when this clown checks out. I only hope the experience is memorably agonizing for the entire family and congregation.

I hope there isn't.  I hope he goes with no protests and no fanfare.  I want him and his ilk to just fade away.  

2014-03-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by mdg2003 http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/westboro-baptist-church-fo... . I wonder if there are any funeral protests planned when this clown checks out. I only hope the experience is memorably agonizing for the entire family and congregation.

I hope there isn't.  I hope he goes with no protests and no fanfare.  I want him and his ilk to just fade away.  

Exactly!  I don't have a space in my brain to give this guy....even for hatred.  Just go away.

2014-03-17 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Exactly!  I don't have a space in my brain to give this guy....even for hatred.  Just go away.

This. 

I hate the man and his church (or former church) for obvious reasons.  I just want him to fade into a forgotten memory.  To me that would be worse then anything else that could be dished out to him.

2014-03-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Justin86

This. 

I hate the man and his church (or former church) for obvious reasons.  I just want him to fade into a forgotten memory.  To me that would be worse then anything else that could be dished out to him.

One thing is for sure, he'll get to find out who God really hates soon.  ;-)

2014-03-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Tejas

This. 

I see your points and respect that opinion and hope, but they aren't going away. I just looked at the church website. This is KKK mentality without the cross burning. Death of the leader won't end the church, another leader will step in and resume the BS.

2014-03-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by mdg2003

This. 

I see your points and respect that opinion and hope, but they aren't going away. I just looked at the church website. This is KKK mentality without the cross burning. Death of the leader won't end the church, another leader will step in and resume the BS.

And unfortunately I agree with what you just said completely.  But for me the best thing to do is just ignore them, they aren't worth my time.  

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Westboro Baptist "Church" Rss Feed  

of 2