General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What we can learn from the Dutch/Olympics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-21 10:18 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: What we can learn from the Dutch/Olympics
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by GoosedogSure, because speed skating is football/basketball/baseball/soccer in the Netherlands. It's pretty easy to devote resources to the sport when every boy in the country wants to be Kramer when they grow up.
And that is one of the problems in America. Most people want to be football, basketball, baseball players here. The ones that become triathletes come from swim/run backgrounds in college, or cycling as well. The specialization is minimal, if existent here in the States. I would help that women's triathlon in the NCAA brings more visibility for the sport at a developmental level. I also hope USAT makes coaching clinics more beneficial, or have it take more then 48 hours to earn a certification. Or we can just re-write the entire curriculum. I also think that WTC and Ironman is a barrier for the sport. So many young guns want to do an Ironman, which is great to see, but Ironman is not the distance to develop an athlete over time.
. You are really going all out on this one aren't you Ben? ;-). I doubt that generalizing about 'Europe' and 'the problems in America' has a lot of relevance here. I'm personally not sure it's much more complicated than the simple fact is that in the Netherlands they CARE a lot more about some of these winter Olympic sports. In the USA, we 'tend' to CARE more about sports like football, basketball, baseball etc. I'm not sure how this is 'wrong', but the truth is our Best athletes in the USA just aren't drawn to winter Olympic sports, or for that fact, sports like triathlon. Lots of great American triathletes, for sure, but not the same draw or talent pool as the ones I mentioned. I'm not sure that this is 'a problem' at all. God bless those in the Netherlands for loving these sports like speed skating. They deserve their success they've had. To me, and i suspect the vast majority of Americans, the Winter Olympics are fun to watch, but they represent a lot of fringe sports that many folks simply don't have exposure to. I consider triathlon a fringe sport from the perspective of most Americans and the media as well. This from someone who's been in the sport a long time and still loves it. In no way am I putting down the sport of triathlon, or for that fact speed skating, heck I love triathlon, I'm just not living in an idealistic world of what the focus is in America and probably more importantly, I'm not of the opinion that the focus America has on the sports like football is somehow a problem. Embrace the fringivity, so to speak, of triathlon lol.

I agree completely that we care about other sports more. But you are missing my point, or maybe I am failing to deliver it properly, or just went off on too much of a tangent after some coffee . U.S. speed skating team got a lot of grief about their performance in the olympics along with their suits. Of course after they switched back to their original suits their performance didn't increase at all, and they just resigned with Under Armour, but hey lets all say it was the suit and not the engine in the suit. The point I am making is that when Americans don't get gold it comes as a shock to others sometimes. We don't dominate speed skating because we develop our athletes, the interest isn't in our blood. Yet Americans think they can just waltz in every four years and get their gold medal. It takes a lot more then that and sometimes we miss that understanding. Listen to what the Dutch coach says, he is absolutely right on everything, and the American commentators are making the usual American type of responses.

If we want to win gold medals in these sports we need to put in developmental programs and increase participation. The dutch dominate speed skating because it is their life, just like football is for us.

2014-02-21 10:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GoosedogSure, because speed skating is football/basketball/baseball/soccer in the Netherlands. It's pretty easy to devote resources to the sport when every boy in the country wants to be Kramer when they grow up.
And that is one of the problems in America. Most people want to be football, basketball, baseball players here. The ones that become triathletes come from swim/run backgrounds in college, or cycling as well. The specialization is minimal, if existent here in the States. I would help that women's triathlon in the NCAA brings more visibility for the sport at a developmental level. I also hope USAT makes coaching clinics more beneficial, or have it take more then 48 hours to earn a certification. Or we can just re-write the entire curriculum. I also think that WTC and Ironman is a barrier for the sport. So many young guns want to do an Ironman, which is great to see, but Ironman is not the distance to develop an athlete over time.
. You are really going all out on this one aren't you Ben? ;-). I doubt that generalizing about 'Europe' and 'the problems in America' has a lot of relevance here. I'm personally not sure it's much more complicated than the simple fact is that in the Netherlands they CARE a lot more about some of these winter Olympic sports. In the USA, we 'tend' to CARE more about sports like football, basketball, baseball etc. I'm not sure how this is 'wrong', but the truth is our Best athletes in the USA just aren't drawn to winter Olympic sports, or for that fact, sports like triathlon. Lots of great American triathletes, for sure, but not the same draw or talent pool as the ones I mentioned. I'm not sure that this is 'a problem' at all. God bless those in the Netherlands for loving these sports like speed skating. They deserve their success they've had. To me, and i suspect the vast majority of Americans, the Winter Olympics are fun to watch, but they represent a lot of fringe sports that many folks simply don't have exposure to. I consider triathlon a fringe sport from the perspective of most Americans and the media as well. This from someone who's been in the sport a long time and still loves it. In no way am I putting down the sport of triathlon, or for that fact speed skating, heck I love triathlon, I'm just not living in an idealistic world of what the focus is in America and probably more importantly, I'm not of the opinion that the focus America has on the sports like football is somehow a problem. Embrace the fringivity, so to speak, of triathlon lol.
I agree completely that we care about other sports more. But you are missing my point, or maybe I am failing to deliver it properly, or just went off on too much of a tangent after some coffee . U.S. speed skating team got a lot of grief about their performance in the olympics along with their suits. Of course after they switched back to their original suits their performance didn't increase at all, and they just resigned with Under Armour, but hey lets all say it was the suit and not the engine in the suit. The point I am making is that when Americans don't get gold it comes as a shock to others sometimes. We don't dominate speed skating because we develop our athletes, the interest isn't in our blood. Yet Americans think they can just waltz in every four years and get their gold medal. It takes a lot more then that and sometimes we miss that understanding. Listen to what the Dutch coach says, he is absolutely right on everything, and the American commentators are making the usual American type of responses. If we want to win gold medals in these sports we need to put in developmental programs and increase participation. The dutch dominate speed skating because it is their life, just like football is for us.

Ben - are you having a "stream of consciousness" day?  Now you are comparing developmental programs of triathlon and speed skating??  LOL  I bet you can really get some dead air if you email or call USAspeedskating.   

Dude - it's the Netherlands.....nobody cares about sports there......really.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-21 10:35 PM
2014-02-21 10:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Left Brain

Momma don't want Bobby playing no foolskating.

I remember a time, long ago, when 'serious' threads would get to 3-4 pages before you could throw down a WaterBoy reference.  THAT'S the problem with America.  NO FOCUS!!  lol

2014-02-21 10:59 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Momma don't want Bobby playing no foolskating.

I remember a time, long ago, when 'serious' threads would get to 3-4 pages before you could throw down a WaterBoy reference.  THAT'S the problem with America.  NO FOCUS!!  lol

BT was just better back then......I miss those days.  

2014-02-21 11:29 PM

Yes, I agree that his comments are off the mark. In American Football, the intent is not to injure the guy across the line of scrimmage in front of you. The intent is to KNOCK HIM OUT OF THE GAME! There is a difference.....(smile).

That said, as a 54-year old, beat up guy with 7 years of jr. high/high school/semi-pro ball experience back in the day, there is a good chance that my joints are "limiters" in my triathlon training! There is price that is paid on the gridiron, no matter what level you begin with, or end up with. It is violent.

2014-02-22 12:02 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Jason NThe 2013 combined player salaries for the all NFL teams was right around $3.5 billion.  How much are these successful Dutch speed skaters going to make this year while capitalizing on their fancy medals?

What a waste indeed.

The answer to your question is about $3.49 billion less.

2014-02-22 1:58 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Jason NThe 2013 combined player salaries for the all NFL teams was right around $3.5 billion.  How much are these successful Dutch speed skaters going to make this year while capitalizing on their fancy medals?

What a waste indeed.

The answer to your question is about $3.49 billion less.

Maybe, but I lived in Holland.  Skaters there are like rock stars.   And those Dutch girls are preeeettttyyyy!!!    :Q

2014-02-22 2:38 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Veteran

Originally posted by Goosedog

Sure, because speed skating is football/basketball/baseball/soccer in the Netherlands. It's pretty easy to devote resources to the sport when every boy in the country wants to be Kramer when they grow up.

this is incorrect. the Netherlands also has a very good national soccer team, cyclists, rowers, runners, and then there is Van Vlerken. also, the U.S. has a vastly larger population and so plenty of people for every sport. perhaps the problem is you never see obese Dutch kids
2014-02-22 5:44 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-02-22 5:58 AM
2014-02-22 5:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
BTW, *if* it was our priority, we would win every single medal, without any doubt.... just won't ever be an 'it' sport.

And how would they do this ?

2014-02-22 5:55 AM

2014-02-22 5:57 AM

Edited by Fred D 2014-02-22 5:58 AM
2014-02-22 12:53 PM

Veteran
well today we learned that America doesn't care about hockey either. Just days after an ESPN analyst said the American women's hockey team embarrassed the U.S. by winning silver, the boys, well, if only we cared about hockey in the U.S. - and didn't make them wear defective outfits
2014-02-22 12:57 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Pro

Originally posted by sheesleeva well today we learned that America doesn't care about hockey either. Just days after an ESPN analyst said the American women's hockey team embarrassed the U.S. by winning silver, the boys, well, if only we cared about hockey in the U.S. - and didn't make them wear defective outfits

I heard their skate sharpener broke.  They would have won with sharper blades, bet on it.

2014-02-22 2:00 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

New user
penticton
i would think the only embarrassment was the ESPN analyst that should take a hard look at himself.

those girls show up...fought...and lost to the a team that as won the last 4 olympic.

i m Canadian and understanding hockey very well, this game could have gone both way if it wasn't from the poor officiating. sport is cruel something... it was a terrible turnover....but USA did show up and put on a fight. RESPECT FOR THAT.

2014-02-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

Wetaskiwin Canada

Sure, because speed skating is football/basketball/baseball/soccer in the Netherlands. It's pretty easy to devote resources to the sport when every boy in the country wants to be Kramer when they grow up.

Soccer is still by far the number 1 sport in Holland.

2014-02-23 10:51 AM

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Double post

Edited by Dnn 2014-02-23 11:00 AM
2014-02-23 10:57 AM

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Did you guys watch the video? That American (whoever he is) is acting like a 12 year old dickhead. Jesus f-ing christ, just listen to him. Embarrasing.

Originally posted by Clempson

i think what he is really saying here is that on an international stage we are flushing money down the drain on football, because no one else cares. the best athletes we have go to the sport that pays the most, not the most fringe one they can find. he is right, but that's not how it works over here. olympic sports will never be big in the USA, we only care once every 4 years for the most part. football, basketball, baseball. those are THE sports to do growing up, and to make it big professionally. unless your parents funnel you into something else if you have the genetic talent you will end up in one of those three.

I don't see it that way.

*I* see the Dutch coach saying in essence "here in the Netherlands, our priority is speed skating and in the USA it should be too"

You're wrong, though. Did you watch the video?

Let's use my son as example.

No. This is always a problem in these threads: anecdotal evidence. It's useless

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Jason NThe 2013 combined player salaries for the all NFL teams was right around $3.5 billion. How much are these successful Dutch speed skaters going to make this year while capitalizing on their fancy medals?

What a waste indeed.

What an embarrasing post. Do you really think money is the highest goal in life? Perhaps you should watch less Hollywood movies

Edited by Dnn 2014-02-23 11:04 AM
2014-02-23 3:38 PM
in reply to: Dnn

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Dnn

Did you guys watch the video? That American (whoever he is) is acting like a 12 year old dickhead. Jesus f-ing christ, just listen to him. Embarrasing.

• You're wrong, though. Did you watch the video?

• No. This is always a problem in these threads: anecdotal evidence. It's useless

• What an embarrasing post. Do you really think money is the highest goal in life? Perhaps you should watch less Hollywood movies

Did someone pee in your cornflakes ?
    2014-02-23 3:52 PM

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
    Originally posted by Dnn Did you guys watch the video? That American (whoever he is) is acting like a 12 year old dickhead. Jesus f-ing christ, just listen to him. Embarrasing. .... You're wrong, though. Did you watch the video? ..... No. This is always a problem in these threads: anecdotal evidence. It's useless ..... What an embarrasing post. Do you really think money is the highest goal in life? Perhaps you should watch less Hollywood movies
    Did someone pee in your cornflakes ?

Eh.....Dnn is always crabby, I enjoy it, it's usually pretty funny.  

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-23 3:59 PM
    2014-02-23 5:45 PM
    in reply to: Dnn

NC
    Originally posted by Dnn

Let's use my son as example.

No. This is always a problem in these threads: anecdotal evidence. It's useless

No? I don't think you know what that means. My son was not provided as evidence. I asked questions. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm asking how we develop 7-14 year olds with specific triathlon training as someone suggested.

2014-02-23 5:52 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

Veteran

Originally posted by sheesleeva well today we learned that America doesn't care about hockey either. Just days after an ESPN analyst said the American women's hockey team embarrassed the U.S. by winning silver, the boys, well, if only we cared about hockey in the U.S. - and didn't make them wear defective outfits

I heard their skate sharpener broke.  They would have won with sharper blades, bet on it.

he he. really did make me LOL
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What we can learn from the Dutch/Olympics Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning

Started by cobannero
    Views: 1561 Posts: 6

2006-02-09 11:18 AM cobannero

Olympics - what a great advert for triathlon!

Started by Bigpikle
    Views: 561 Posts: 1

2004-08-26 7:15 AM Bigpikle

Drafting, legal in the olympics?

Started by tmwelshy
    Views: 865 Posts: 6

2004-08-26 9:56 AM darylljsmith

Olympics Triathlon on TV

Started by soupaman
    Views: 1248 Posts: 21

2004-08-26 11:27 AM domlazz

Olympics - Link to Women's Triathlon Final Results Pages: 1 2

Started by max
    Views: 1954 Posts: 29

2004-08-26 3:48 AM abdulhazred
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 2, 2010
    author : Sara McLarty
    comments : 0
    This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.

date : November 4, 2010
    This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.
    date : October 5, 2010
    This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : September 3, 2010
    comments : 1
    This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.
    date : August 2, 2010
    comments : 19
    This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.

date : September 4, 2004
    author : Team BT
    2003 Ultraman World Champion.
    date : September 4, 2004
    author : Daniel Clout
    Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.