General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting fluids on long training rides/runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-23 1:37 PM

User image

Subject: Getting fluids on long training rides/runs

What do people typically do to get fluids on long training rides and runs?  I'm doing my first HIM this year and need to figure out some purchases to take care of my long training days (I only have a single bottle cage at the moment).

I tend to take down 1-1.5 bottles per hour in training.  So a 4 bottle setup may get the job done for a HIM distance ride.  But it probably won't hack it on a really hot day or for longer rides.  Ultimately, how much hydration to you end up having built into the bike (bottles and other systems) to support your long training rides?  And how do you bridge the gap between what your bike holds and what you need?  I'm guessing gas stations or making loops and replenishing at your house or car.  

Same question on long training runs.  How much to you carry on you and how do you replenish mid-run?

2014-02-23 2:58 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Getting fluids on long training rides/runs

For the runs, just a Fuel Belt.  If it's really hot, and the run is approaching 3 hours, plan on either multiple loops to refill at your starting point, or stopping at a convenience store.

For biking, 2 frame cages, and a third bottle in a torpedo mount between the bars.  Again, this is enough for about 3 hours, so plan on either multiple loops or convenience stores to refill.  If loops or stops aren't an option, then adding two more bottles in a behind the saddle mount increases your capacity to 5 bottles.  For most people, this will carry you through 3-6 hour rides, depending on the temperature and individual fluid needs.

2014-02-24 6:49 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

East Syracuse, New York
1 on the bike, 3 in the bike jersey back pockets...sometimes a camel back. bring a couple bucks to get more if you need it. I love the camel back for long runs.
2014-02-24 8:26 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
For training rides: 2 bottles. Usually bottle per hour. I'll stop at a convenience store, or I'll bring powder mix in a baggie and stop at a park with a water fountain.

For training runs: varies. Fuel belt. Or I may stash a bottle at some far point on the course. Or multiple loops back to the car.

And just a note about races...I only carry one bottle on the bike and replenish at the water stops. For the runs, I don't carry anything.
2014-02-24 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
I do something a little different for running. I like to design a few courses from my house that are between 3 and 5 miles long. Depending on how far I run that day I run loops of these courses. This way I do not need to carry any support but I have everything I need, including a bathroom, within a loops distance. This got me through my first marathon and now I generally practice this with any run over 8 miles. Just an idea.
2014-02-24 12:00 PM
in reply to: Major BC

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I use a handheld bottle for long runs of an hour and up when its hot (I live in FL) I do loops back to my house and leave a cooler with bottles in my front yard.  For long bikes also do loops.  I can carry about 80oz with me on my bike and then loop back to my care to re-load.  Most of the trails I ride usually have places to stop for water so I could refill. I have also stopped at convience stores. 

2014-02-24 12:18 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Thanks for the replies everyone!  

So it seems that the most common practice is to have a plan to replenish along the way (via loops or planned stops) rather than go overboard on increasing your carrying capacity to avoid refills.  But probably carry more than what you would on race day since refills will be less frequent.

2014-02-24 5:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I had been using a fuel belt for my long runs but got a Nathan hydration pak this summer and I much prefer it.  On a long run/ride I am glad to have it for the extra fluids and pockets for food, cell phone, etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting fluids on long training rides/runs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How long is too long for long runs?

Started by Bevie
Views: 2562 Posts: 20

2013-06-11 11:16 PM brigby1

Marathon long runs vs. IM long runs

Started by kristine25
Views: 1985 Posts: 7

2012-06-05 10:45 AM Baowolf

Long run the day before long ride?

Started by kristine25
Views: 3819 Posts: 15

2012-02-18 11:24 PM bcagle25

long rides and runs for half ironman training?

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 8030 Posts: 11

2009-12-12 7:07 AM 1stTimeTri

Fluids for long training rides

Started by chriselam
Views: 1478 Posts: 10

2008-07-18 2:59 AM splerph
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.